Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/16/2002 9:40:37 AM EDT
I've been planning on the LEGP AK for 2003, probably the higher end one for my collection.
Looking at stuff all over the internet, I find the VEPR / RPK thicker steel stamped receiver info...
www.robarm.com/RA_vepr%20faqs%20answers.html#VEPR%20Scope

SO, I'm wondering if the VEPR is 'the shit', or what?

You guys can fill me in, I'm positive of that.
I'm gonna go drive the BigBadBus for a few hours and come back to see what kind of lessons you have for RookieBoy here.

Should I be looking at getting a VEPR II in 7.62x39?  or hold out for the LEGP AK?
HIT ME!
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#1]
For a true military rifle, no. It's just thick and heavy, which makes it more accurate than the older AKM receiver. The new century series AK-74M/101...etc. uses a more advanced receiver, which also allows the gun to weigh 7lbs vs. nearly 9 lbs for the VEPR carbines. The advantage the VEPR has is its heavier barrel. So if you want to try to shoot DCM matches or have a good target gun at the range, the VEPR is good due to its good accuracy (not to say that a good AK-103 can't go head to head with it). If you want the real thing, get an AK-103 from AK-USA or Krebs Custom. Better yet, do what I'm doing and wait and see what Gary at SAI has to offer.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The VEPR is the shits if you don't mind "non-traditional" looking AK variants. I like the heavy barrel and reciever. You can run a 30 shot mag (or five) and the gun will take it. My .223 is my most accurate AK. Good luck with your skoolin'.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Handled VEPRs, loved em, was saving for one when the LEGP came along. Waiting for a prime bbl'd legp now for AK #4.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not in a big hurry to get any variant of the AK...
I'd like to see what the LEGP is going to look like first.
When might we see a prototype of the two versions?

Having that 75-rd. drum with no rifle to put it in is what has me wanting the original caliber of 7.62x39.
I could probably sell the drum I've got to a buddy or something.

I can understand that the reason the Russki's went for the .223/5.45 is because we showed 'em it works.  At least that's my uninformed opinion.
A true .223 AK would be kinda cool, if the magazines were plentiful enough for me to have 3 for the gun.

This is a VEPR with the drum on it:

I'd like a "K" version that looked like that, in black.  
The buttstock is kinda homely, though!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top