Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/8/2002 8:05:55 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can get Tromix mags for a .223 Valmet 76? Bayo?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
dr,

You might want to check on the valmet site www.valmet-weapons.com for mags and accessories, and also www.sturmgewehr.com

A man by the name of Robert Johnson was selling new Finish Army Pukko bayonets, you can do a search for him on Sturmgewehr.com

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
No luck on Sturmegewehr, Templar. I'll just keep my eyes out.

I haven't picked one up yet. Availability of things like mags seems important. Tromix is out of biz i found out.

What do you guys think of the Valmet 76? They seem very nice and well priced to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep an eye out, mags are out there you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

I've owned 3 Valmet M76's and one M62.  Absolutely top quality weapons and every bit as accurate as the "Black Rifle", with the reliablity of an AK.

Two of the M76's I've had were 5.56mm wooden stocked rifles, and one was a coveted M76F in 7.62x39mm, with side foding tube stock.  Of course I sold them all like a dumb ass.  The M62 was NIB and it was stolen from me.

Only two issues with the Valmet line....and they both fall under the catagory of "sustainability", which is something to consider when buying any pre-89 import ban rifle.

1) spare parts are hard to come by, and I highly recommend picking up some firing pins.

2) magazines......DO NOT USE GALIL 5.56mm MAGAZINES.......they do not present the round in a way that it will feed well, and it is very likely that the bullet will be driven back into the case before it is chambered, thereby increasing pressure dramatically and possibly do damage to your expensive rifle and/or you.

Original Valmet mags will run around $100.00 or so a pop for 30 rounders.  Steel Tromix convereted DDR magazines will be about $60-$80 or so, and the Tromix converted Bulgarian 5.56mm magazines for around $40 or so.  Apparently it isn't too hard to convert the Bulgie 5.56mm polymer magazines for use in the Valmet.  I'd email Tromix, he's still around on the boards, and he might tell you how to do it.

Overall, the Valmets are less expensive than a Galil, and lighter too.  Just stock up on magazines.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Keep an eye out, mags are out there you just have to be at the right place at the right time.
Pretty much what I've figured from perusing all the various gunboards. Damn, some guy wants $90 per for factory mags!

I've owned 3 Valmet M76's and one M62.  Absolutely top quality weapons and every bit as accurate as the "Black Rifle", with the reliablity of an AK.that sure sells

Two of the M76's I've had were 5.56mm wooden stocked rifles, and one was a coveted M76F in 7.62x39mm, with side foding tube stock.  Of course I sold them all like a dumb ass.  The M62 was NIB and it was stolen from me.

Only two issues with the Valmet line....and they both fall under the catagory of "sustainability", which is something to consider when buying any pre-89 import ban rifle.

1) spare parts are hard to come by, and I highly recommend picking up some firing pins.yeah, this is what has me concerned about spending my money

2) magazines......DO NOT USE GALIL 5.56mm MAGAZINES.......they do not present the round in a way that it will feed well, and it is very likely that the bullet will be driven back into the case before it is chambered, thereby increasing pressure dramatically and possibly do damage to your expensive rifle and/or you.Read that. However, I also read that the early GALILs were built on Valmet receivers. Somehow that doesn't compute. Don't plan on trying it, though.

Original Valmet mags will run around $100.00 or so a pop for 30 rounders.  Steel Tromix convereted DDR magazines will be about $60-$80 or so, and the Tromix converted Bulgarian 5.56mm magazines for around $40 or so.  Apparently it isn't too hard to convert the Bulgie 5.56mm polymer magazines for use in the Valmet.  I'd email Tromix, he's still around on the boards, and he might tell you how to do it.any idea where? Or, better yet, an email address??!

Overall, the Valmets are less expensive than a Galil, and lighter too.  Just stock up on magazines.seems like that'll cost more than the rifle

Thanks alot, Templar.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Dr, ask and ye shall receive.......

Tony Rumore aka Tromix:

[email protected]

Hope that helps some.  The early Galils were built/designed with milled Valmet 7.62x39mm receivers, but when Valmet started making 5.56mm stamped receiver M76's for the export market, they did not consult IMI and the mags are not interchangeable I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Templar, can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Your GALIL mag explanation clears that up well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
No problem dr, glad I could help out some.

What rifle are you looking at by the way?  Fixed wood, tube folder, plastic (stay away from it, the plastic stocks are very fragile) or an ACE conversion?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
fixed-wood buttstock. I really like that look and I've yet to see a folding stock that does an AK justice. The ACE folders are awesome, though, but I think I'll leave it as is if I buy it.
I emailed Tony. Hopefully he'll have time to get back to me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:16:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
www.fjvollmer.com/AUG1/valmet__76.htm

There ya go, Campy. I'll look into the mags as soon as I get some spare time. Really been working my ass off lately. Just got home in fact.

Templar, Rob Vollmer was able to give me an email address on Robert Johnson so I'll be looking into that as well.

Next on the list hopefully will be a Belgian FAL PARA. Already got plenty of mags for that. Or do I....?
Still need a preban AK. Forgot about that. Oh shit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a damn good looking rifle dr.  I hope you bought it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I did. Bonus is it is not far away so i should have it soon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are decent with hand tools, (a file) you can probably do your own Bulgy mag mod and get them to work.  There is a big difference between modifying magazines to fit every Valmet and getting them to work in your own ONE Valmet.  All Valmet magazine well and catch geometry is not the same between all guns.  I have to make every possible modification in order to get the mags to work in all guns....you however, do not.

If you are lucky, you will only have to cut the rear mag lug and it will lock in.  Or you may have to cut the front leading edge down.  You may have to radius the top two leading corners of the mag and you may need to shorten the mag by cutting material away on the front and back sides of the mag.

Keep in mind, if you get it to work in your own gun, it still may not work in another person's rifle, so don't mix them up once you cut them to match your gun.

The SAR-3/StG 940 mags take 16 different cuts to get them to work.  Even at $68ea, I gave up doing them since it was a serious pain in the ass.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The SAR-3/StG 940 mags take 16 different cuts to get them to work.  Even at $68ea, I gave up doing them since it was a serious pain in the ass.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp

That's too bad. Well, we're sure glad to have you here. Thanks much for the info. I'll try to put it to good use.
I don't suppose you've got any spare Tromix mags laying around? Hey, it don't hurt to ask.

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]
No, I don't have any extra mags laying around.  In fact, I only have two mags for my own gun.  One OEM 15rd mag and one Tromix StG940 mag.  

Hell, that's enough for me.  If I need more than 45 shots, I'll get the M-60 out.

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No, I don't have any extra mags laying around.  In fact, I only have two mags for my own gun.  One OEM 15rd mag and one Tromix StG940 mag.  

Hell, that's enough for me.  If I need more than 45 shots, I'll get the M-60 out.

LMAO.
Hell, Campybob says he can get me a beater M60 for about 12K
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 4:40:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Re the lousy fit of the right side Valmet folding stocks, the perfect solution is to put a Galil folder on for shooting.  Only the actual stock part is needed. The base, spring and pin interchange.  Haven't used the crutch type stock on my M76 in years.  Darned if I can figure out why the Finns, a very smart bunch, ever designed the thing that way in the first place.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top