Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/31/2002 10:35:56 PM EDT
Hey guys, I checked all the links and did some searches and I could not find the answers I am looking for, well, if ya don't mind I have a few questions.

I own a Romanian SAR-1, and I'd like to know how close it is to the standard Russian AK-47, as far as stock length, action, etc etc.

Second: The bolt on the side of other AKs is what appears to be stainless steel, since I am going for authenticity, I'd like to know if it's possible to get a part that is the same 'color' as the standard AK part was.

Third: Compensators, I like the way AK's look with those compensators on the barrel, not the 74 model one either. Would it be illegal to have the barrel threaded, put the compensator on, than weld it? Now keep in mind I do not do illegal crap, I like to keep clean when it comes to this stuff.

So basically, do you know what parts I would need to make it nearly identicle to the Russian models?

(Here is my AK: http://sgthammer.50megs.com/ak47.jpg)
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume you want an original AK-47, like the REAL one that first came out around 1947-49 or so.

Well, that gun actually is VERY different from your SAR-1. For starters, your SAR-1 has a "stamped" receiver, meaning it was made from steel stampings, whereas the AK-47 has a milled receiver, drilled out from a solid block of steel. As a result, the SAR-1 is known as an AKM vs. an AK-47. It's much lighter as well. Your gun is around 7 lbs vs. the AK-47's 9 lbs due to its milled receiver.

As for the bolt carrier, it is not stainless steel, but rather it is chrome lined for corrosion resistance and better lubricity. I'm not sure who sells chrome lined bolts and bolt carriers, but I'm sure Campy, Templar, RotDorn or somebody knows that answer.

What compensator are you refering to? The original AK-47 did not have a compensator on it. The "slant brake" compensator was introduced on the AKM I believe, while the -74 style came about on the 5.45 AK-74. As for legality, as long as it's permanently pinned or welded on, you're good to go.

If you want a rifle as close as possible to the original AK-47, check out Arsenal (of Las Vegas). They have a new "classic" rifle with a wood stock and milled receiver. If you want a slant brake on your SAR-1, just find a good gunsmith to clean the gun up for you. You could make your SAR-1 look like an awesome AKM.

I wish I was at my dorm computer, because I would have been able to give you some links.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The SAR1 is a pretty darned close match to the standard Soviet AKM. All you really need is a slant brake to finish the look. It's legal to thread the bbl. and have one welded on, I think Global Trades offers a US made version for parts count issues.

As for the shiny bolt carrier, they're not chrome plated but just bare "in the white" metal. You can use Naval Jelly to remove the finish from your SAR bolt carrier, you'll only need to do the exposed areas.

For nice Romanian laminate AKM wood , check K-var.

I think those three mods would make a handsome Soviet AKM clone.Be sure to keep a nice film of oil on the bolt carrier if you strip it--just be sure not to oil the piston.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top