Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/21/2021 6:27:58 PM EDT
Hey guys I picked up a PSA Ak74 in plum.
I was planning on painting some mags to match. Was wondering if anyone has found a cerakote or duracoat that matches the plum.
I know the original ak plum was supposed to be a black when originally designed but I figured why not have some matching mags
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys I picked up a PSA Ak74 in plum.
I was planning on painting some mags to match. Was wondering if anyone has found a cerakote or duracoat that matches the plum.
I know the original ak plum was supposed to be a black when originally designed but I figured why not have some matching mags
View Quote

Shoes, don't forget the shoes to match!

I actually have a plum sling on my plum WBP Fox.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/PLUM-AK-SLING-4p1558.htm
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have any FDE mags you can always Rit Dye them.

As far as paint, Magpul Plum Durakote looks kinda off to me.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is a 74, why not just buy actual plum magazines?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it is a 74, why not just buy actual plum magazines?
View Quote

Good idea. Isn't Circle 10 making them?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Just buy surplus 74 combloc magazines from akfiles, aoa, desert fox or a private party.

Circle10ak used to be a good source, not so much last couple years.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought about buying true plum mags but not trying to spend that much on ak mags ?? I am an AR guy
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought about buying true plum mags but not trying to spend that much on ak mags ?? I am an AR guy
View Quote

Part of it if you want the best mags.

Firebrick ((10)) mags or plum mags can be had for $30-50 depending on seller.

Watch the EE here.

Is this now a plum party?

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Part of it if you want the best mags.

Firebrick ((10)) mags or plum mags can be had for $30-50 depending on seller.

Watch the EE here.

Is this now a plum party?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164007/28FB622E-F5D2-4BD9-8008-D23629EF260F-1504506.jpg
View Quote

Plum party???

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
combloc plum is plum. magpul plum is purple.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:12:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Bulgarians never made a plum mag. They dyed some mags purple, but that ain't 'plum' in the traditional sense. Plum isn't a color in this case, it's a type of plastic. First introduced in the Soviet Union in the early 80s, no other country has really made them. They range from purple, to browns, to nearly black, but the common denominator is that commie blend of plastic. Want to know if a mag is a legit plum? Pull the internals and hold a really bright flashlight up to the side of the mag. If light passes through, it's a legit plum. If not, it's a polymer mag dyed purple.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bulgarians never made a plum mag. They dyed some mags purple, but that ain't 'plum' in the traditional sense. Plum isn't a color in this case, it's a type of plastic. First introduced in the Soviet Union in the early 80s, no other country has really made them. They range from purple, to browns, to nearly black, but the common denominator is that commie blend of plastic. Want to know if a mag is a legit plum? Pull the internals and hold a really bright flashlight up to the side of the mag. If light passes through, it's a legit plum. If not, it's a polymer mag dyed purple.
View Quote

Bulgy plum = Soviet plum.

Need to find it but there was an article speaking to the production of AK-74, AKS-74, etc and it said more or less that all polyamide items were provided by the USSR as part of military aid.

As you most likely recall they had a massive surplus of Izzy and Tula plum mags. Which were sanitized and painted black to sell as “bulgarian”. Those were the days.

Surplus “bulgy plum” stocks are Russian, Double rivet bulgy kits are of Russian origin, etc... the programs were highly intertwined and it was advantageous for the Soviet’s to fuel Bulgarian armament.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bulgy plum = Soviet plum.

Need to find it but there was an article speaking to the production of AK-74, AKS-74, etc and it said more or less that all polyamide items were provided by the USSR as part of military aid.

As you most likely recall they had a massive surplus of Izzy and Tula plum mags. Which were sanitized and painted black to sell as "bulgarian". Those were the days.

Surplus "bulgy plum" stocks are Russian, Double rivet bulgy kits are of Russian origin, etc... the programs were highly intertwined and it was advantageous for the Soviet's to fuel Bulgarian armament.

View Quote

correct.

And IIRC, plum isn't an intended color, but a lack of black taking properly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

correct.

And IIRC, plum isn't an intended color, but a lack of black taking properly.
View Quote

What I have always read!

I think they got the black down right as the wall fell or shortly there after.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
My minimal contribution to the plum party. Both Russian Saiga Legions. The SGL 31-68 sports an Izhevsk plum mag, black Izhevsk 6x5 bayonet, Russian sling, and Russian 8x42 scope. The SGL20-41 has an orange Izhevsk mag, unissued Izhevsk 6x4 bayonet and Russian sling.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I have always found the plum mags and stock to be very attractive.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What I have always read!

I think they got the black down right as the wall fell or shortly there after.
View Quote

"True black" mags are a different plastic, it's not just a matter of dye taking.

Also, why plums are the color they are remains a mystery. There are several viable theories, but if there is a definitive answer from an actual Soviet source / documents, I haven't seen it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#17]
If you were lucky enough to get a plum PSA 74, you have to buy a real Russian plum mag to go with it. I think it's in the fine print somewhere.

Aim Surplus Tula Plum Mag - $49.95

Bite the bullet and think of it as like the cost of an HK Maritime M4 mag, except reliable and durable. Then you have a real plum example to try to match the color to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you were lucky enough to get a plum PSA 74, you have to buy a real Russian plum mag to go with it. I think it's in the fine print somewhere.

Aim Surplus Tula Plum Mag - $49.95

Bite the bullet and think of it as like the cost of an HK Maritime M4 mag, except reliable and durable. Then you have a real plum example to try to match the color to.
View Quote

I agree...bite the bullet and get one.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top