Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/14/2021 3:49:01 AM EDT
When i opened the box, the barrel has what looks like brown streaks. ive run tons of patches through it withs hopps.

anyone have this?

will upload pics soon.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you try a brass barrel brush yet ? I am tempted to say put a few rounds through it but i have not seen the pictures. If it is pitting start a warranty claim now .Strange as it may sound a good machinist can feel irregularity's using a cleaning rod etc if it is deep in the bore [depth wise]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Need some PICS, you sure it's not copper?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Does this rifle have a chromed bore?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does this rifle have a chromed bore?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#5]
pic uoloaded in OP.

is this normal? this is also the DIRTIEST GUN ive ever had "new".

o took brush and patches to this already. this is BRAND new, ive had it 4 days. never fired.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#6]
If most of the barrel is like that and it wont clean up contact customer service .
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you think it is rust and not copper fouling, just PM me your order number and I will get you taken care of.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote

and i click on the "like" button........................if they had one on this forum...........click
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You should try something that actually cleans the bore, like Boretech Eliminator, and set the “hopps” aside.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like copper fouling from being test fired. Run a few patches of KG-12 or other copper solvent through it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]
sup
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Try cleaning with a nylon bore brush not a brass brush ive seen a perfectly clean pistol barrel become completely copper streaked after brass brush was passed through.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a brass bore brush but i do not think i have ever heard of a copper brush plus i doubt a nylon brush would remove much of anything.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ll try to be as nice as possible, but there’s no such thing as a brass bore brush. They’re most commonly phosphor bronze, which looks similar to copper.

Copper is not removed from a bore mechanically, it’s removed chemically by dissolving it into a copper solvent. These modern copper solvents are so powerful, they will disintegrate a bronze bore brush in one use.

The solution to that is to use a nylon brush, and all that’s doing is helping loosen the carbon, which is removed mechanically, so the solvents can attack the copper more effectively.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Please don't do that again.   --> WILSON

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’ll try to be as nice as possible, but there’s no such thing as a brass bore brush. They’re most commonly phosphor bronze, which looks similar to copper.

Copper is not removed from a bore mechanically, it’s removed chemically by dissolving it into a copper solvent. These modern copper solvents are so powerful, they will disintegrate a bronze bore brush in one use.

The solution to that is to use a nylon brush, and all that’s doing is helping loosen the carbon, which is removed mechanically, so the solvents can attack the copper more effectively.
View Quote

To add to that ammonia based solvents like Hoppes or Sweets don't play well with chrome. If left in contact for long enough it can etch chrome.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#18]
To the actual owner of the rifle....did you fix it ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To the actual owner of the rifle....did you fix it ?
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/I-got-my-first-AK-New-Is-this-Copper-fouling-or-rust-/5-2415010/

Same thread in GD, they got him squared away
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Good lord i bet he regrets posting over there........seems they have much different moderators there ,that poor guy got pounded . I wonder if he will ever be back,i didn't read each post but the last i read from him is its better /cleaner.......and thank you
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#21]
As far as moderation, that is GD so anything goes. If you don't want a pounding there don't ask a dumb question then act like you know a lot

I doubt OP will be gone, he's posted about 200 million threads in GD on other stuff. He just has no idea how an AK works or what is normal, and does appear to be very OCD about stuff. GD loves people like that
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top