Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2021 11:44:34 PM EDT
If my question doesn’t already give this away, I don’t know much about AKs

In this example, the rifle is a Vepr FM 11. A bit over gassed to begin with. It now has an Athena Linear Comp on it, which is a really nice device. It shoots great.

However, the rifle is now kicking brass pretty far away, straight at 3 o’clock. Seems even more overgassed with that muzzle device on it.

If it stays in this configuration, are the internals going to get damaged? Should the muzzle device be changed out to something else?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You aren’t going to hurt anything or come anywhere near wearing anything out the only thing you may slightly accelerate with a very gassy AK is bolt tail splash if the hammer is US made (US made hammers are often harder the communists bolt carrier tails)

But 3 o’clock and super far ejection dosnt sound abnormal to me AKs are a bit over gased as it is and have a fixed ejector so they like to really lunch they’re brass
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
My 74 spits them 15 feet at 3'oclock regularly. Normal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure 3 o'clock? I'm getting 1:30 - 2:00 but it's a 5.56. They do go far though, maybe 15-20 feet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
1 of mine is more 1 to 2, the other is at 3. I think it varies per extractor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Easiest and cheapest solution is Wolff XP recoil spring. Even if the rifle is not truly overgassed you may find that it shoots softer with the XP spring. Just make sure to try with a variety of ammo to make sure you do not end up with any short stroking issues.

My Saiga .223 out of the box either was overgassed or had a weak spring. Cases would simply disappear into orbit, crazy strong ejection compared to any other AK I had, and it had noticeably more felt recoil than a typical .223 semi rifle would. Put a Wolff XP spring on it and tamed it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much all of my AK's throw the spent shell casing into the next county.

I did buy a N-pap DF several years ago new. I took it to the shooting range, shot three rounds through it, and promptly replaced the recoil spring. The reason I replaced the spring is that the N-pap kicked more than my other AK's, and I could feel the lack of spring tension when I hand cycled the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My VEPR kicks them out 20 feet at 3 o'clock too.

It is not overgassed (at least in AK speak)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top