Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2020 7:18:48 PM EDT
Last week I received my new PSA AK103 and made my first trip to the range today. I fired about 120 rounds and about a dozen times the trigger would not reset without being nudged forward with my trigger finger. Several other times the trigger stuck for a split second before resetting.

I did clean and lubricate this rifle before this range trip. I did not lubricate any of the trigger parts.
Is there some part of the trigger that should be oiled or is this indicative of a more serious problem?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try a new spring. Same happened to me but can't remember if it was the ALG spring I ordered or the surplus that came with the kit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Im sure you called PSA before posting on internet?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I did send PSA customer service an email about the issue but was hoping it might be something someone here would be familiar with and / or something simple I could take care of myself.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I had this problem with my bulgarian SLR-104 recently (which I understand also has a US trigger group for 922R compliance - I have a number of full factory assembled AKs and I have never had this problem).  Open the top cover and watch to see if the disconnector is getting hung up on the hammer - which is preventing the reset.   If so its a few strokes of a file to clear up the surface contact and you will be good to go.  Do not over file and you should be able to rack the carrier to simulate live fire to see when you have fixed it.   If you google this you will see this is common issue recently with all the non-mil triggers groups in use today.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got em

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/Trigger_not_resetting/74-143627/
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had this problem with my bulgarian SLR-104 recently (which I understand also has a US trigger group for 922R compliance - I have a number of full factory assembled AKs and I have never had this problem).  Open the top cover and watch to see if the disconnector is getting hung up on the hammer - which is preventing the reset.   If so its a few strokes of a file to clear up the surface contact and you will be good to go.  Do not over file and you should be able to rack the carrier to simulate live fire to see when you have fixed it.   If you google this you will see this is common issue recently with all the non-mil triggers groups in use today.
View Quote

It is a new gun......putting a file to it might not go over too well with any warranty issues
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is a new gun......putting a file to it might not go over too well with any warranty issues
View Quote

Um ok.  Its gun of a very old design, not a Ferrari
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:40:18 AM EDT
[#10]
"Trigger would not reset without being nudged forward".

This indicates that the problem is not with the disconnector catching or not (which would result in hammer follow, and not "nudged reset"), but rather a problem with the spring tension on the trigger's rear legs.

Check if both sides of the hammer spring ends are actually resting on the trigger, and that you don't have one that has slid on the side of the assembly.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Um ok.  Its gun of a very old design, not a Ferrari
View Quote

funny irony there....a few years ago i was talking prices at the ferrari dealership and he asked "oh you are going to drive it?"..............FYI PSA AK103 lists a lifetime warranty on their new rifle but i think they might take a dim view if it is dremeled/filed by an instant u tube machinist .
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Trigger would not reset without being nudged forward".

This indicates that the problem is not with the disconnector catching or not (which would result in hammer follow, and not "nudged reset"), but rather a problem with the spring tension on the trigger's rear legs.

Check if both sides of the hammer spring ends are actually resting on the trigger, and that you don't have one that has slid on the side of the assembly.
View Quote

this is probably it right here.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m grateful for everyone who took the time to help me diagnose this. PSA is sending me a shipping label and, since this sounds more involved then I am capable of handling, I’ll just let them look at it and correct the issue.

Again, I really am grateful to those of you who took the time to post a reply with helpful information.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m grateful for everyone who took the time to help me diagnose this. PSA is sending me a shipping label and, since this sounds more involved then I am capable of handling, I’ll just let them look at it and correct the issue.

Again, I really am grateful to those of you who took the time to post a reply with helpful information.
View Quote

you choose wisely
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes - I am interested in knowing what the actual problem was.  I know their are people who disagreed with me but I am only going on actual personal experience with this issue.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#17]
My AK103 was received by PSA Wednesday Jan 6th. This morning I received an email stating;“No issues with trigger reset were found in and outside of the range. Ammo used was Tula steel case. No repairs or warranty work done.”

I called customer service and again explained the trigger issue I was having. The CS rep arranged for the AK103 to be looked at again. Shortly thereafter I received another email stating; “Our repairs did another test fire and added the note below:"I just test fired the rifle using tula steel case and pulling and resetting the trigger as slow as possible every time and the trigger reset without issue each time."

I appreciate @Josiah taking the time to help with my issue but, to be honest, this has me pretty frustrated. The last thing I wanted was to be without my new rifle for several weeks and I’m at a loss as to how this issue could have occurred so consistently and repeatedly for me but the rifle is reported to work flawlessly by the PSA repair team.

To make matters worse, I tried to message Josiah before posting this but I can’t get the image verification to work to send messages (hosting issues I’m guessing?).

If the rifle works fine for the PSA repair team I can only assume that the problem is intermittent and undetectable and that puts me in an even worse position - now I have a rifle that, if I keep it, I have to wait to “act up” again and hopefully it won’t do so when I really need it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#18]
OK.  Did you ever operate the action with the top cover off like I suggested to see if you could see what was actually happening?  When you get the gun back please do this (and rack it hard with the trigger pressed fully to try to simulate live fire.  Just trying to be helpful.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
AKR, I very much appreciate your help.  I’m very frustrated by this whole issue.

When I get the rifle back I will absolutely operate the action with the cover off to see if I can observe anything that seems unusual.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#21]
next time it happens, take a pic with the cover off and return spring removed showing the hammer and trigger area.

Don't get too frustrated, it's just a trigger issue, the trigger can be replaced with an aftermarket version. Honestly, I'd rather have a trigger issue than any other issue that could creep up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
next time it happens, take a pic with the cover off and return spring removed showing the hammer and trigger area.

Don't get too frustrated, it's just a trigger issue, the trigger can be replaced with an aftermarket version. Honestly, I'd rather have a trigger issue than any other issue that could creep up.
View Quote

This is a great point, and I sincerely thank you for taking the time to post that message.

As to my frustration, I should clarify that I’m frustrated at being in this situation, frustrated that there was no problem found, and frustrated that I have a rifle I’m not sure I’ll be able to rely on.

I need the make this very clear : Josiah has been pretty awesome in reaching out to help. He offered to look at the rifle personally but it looks like it was shipped back to me early this morning. I don’t know of any other company where one of the owners would have gotten involved to the point Josiah has. This forum is lucky to have him here and I’m not looking to disparage him or PSA. I also understand that if the rifle operated without issue for PSA’s repair technicians there’s not a lot of options for them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got off the phone with PSA Josiah a few minutes ago. He intercepted my rifle before it was shipped back. He spoke with repair techs and confirmed the rifle fired and trigger reset without issue for them. Regardless, he had them replace the trigger and springs with new ones. Rifle will be shipped back to me tomorrow. His words; “I want you to be able to trust and rely on your rifle.”

Going above and beyond to make sure I have a rifle I can trust and rely on - That says it all in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#24]
that is GREAT service
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad to hear Josiah came through for you.  That is excellent service.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#27]
That is good news.  I would to be clear that I never meant anything negative against PSA or their CS (a good bud finished an 80% AR lower with I think amount 100% PSA parts and it functioned flawlessly) - its just that to me the AK is such a simple design sometimes the best thing to do is just to fix it if everything major like the barrel and receiver are otherwise in spec.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a couple issues with my 74, cosmetic mostly.  They took care of me and I had my rifle back in a week.

Sometimes you have to talk to the right person, but they will take care of you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, I received the rifle back from PSA and after firing 80 rounds flawlessly the trigger began to fail to reset again. I recorded the issue with my iPhone and Josiah again arranged for the rifle to be returned to PSA for repair. After two weeks I received this message :

“Replaced the customer's hammer, disconnector and trigger. After replacing the components the rifle was test fired for proper function without any issues.”

I requested clarification as to the cause of the issue but haven’t received a response back yet.

I’m very frustrated but don’t want to be unreasonable. I’m feeling like PSA doesn’t know what the problem is so they just replaced some more parts. Is it likely the parts they replaced will resolve my issue?

I wasn’t expecting a premium rifle from PSA but I was expecting one that would be reliable and I’m not sure how many rounds I would have to put through this rifle to convince me it is reliable now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is it likely the parts they replaced will resolve my issue?
View Quote

It should.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I mean there are only so many components that can cause a trigger to not reset.  I muself would have just used it as a reason to theow an alg in
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m not knowledgeable enough to put a trigger in myself. And I’m not knowledgeable enough to know if there are any other components that could cause the fail-to-reset issue.

Are these pretty much all of the fire group components (hammer, disconnector, and trigger)?

After sending the rifle back for repairs twice, how many problem-free rounds through the rifle would it take for someone to be comfortable with its reliability?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Youtube is your friend,  the triggers are easy to install.  The hammer spring is part of the fire control group as well.  Pins 8f you are really breaking it down.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top