BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/6/2020 6:12:29 PM EDT
Been a while since I've done one of these!

Snagged a 5.45 Ace to mess with, I overpaid MSRP but not by much. Oh well, got one that's all that matters. What drew me in was a platform that used 5.45 mags, has optic rail, and already threaded 1/2x28. Doesn't hurt its IWI/IMI and a factory gun.

I've got more 5.45 in the stash than anything so why not. SLR's are $2500+ and SGL's peaking into $3000+, so this seemed like a good deal.

Took it out this morning for its first run, out of the box the irons were a fart off at 50y (assume factory set for 100m), a few adjustments and I was on. Repeated for the aimpoint on a LaRue lt661 mount. The mount sits a fart higher than what I'd consider 1/3 co-witness (rear won't line up) - it's qd so doesn't matter.

Good:
- Sights 100% improvement over any AK option, excellent
- Zero issues through 300 rounds of 59g Golden Tiger and 210 rounds of 1977 7n6 (270 arsenal)
- Zero issues with a mix of ((10)), ((21)), ((25)), Magpul, and commercial Bulgarian mags
- I like the trigger. The shape and 2 stage is nice.
- Stock is actually nice and adjust-ability is solid. VERY tight lockup.
- Safety is outstanding vs traditional AK
- CHF, CL, and threaded 1/2x28 barrel - excellent

The to be improved:
- Handguard sucks, knew this going in so no big deal. Will be replacing with MI or RS rail - as soon as one is in stock.
- Sling mounting points are not ideal. Wish stock had a QD provision or at least 1" slot for sling. Have to use paracord. Factory mounting points are on stock hinge and fsb/gb. Will be fixing with blue force loop and QD mount on soon to be handguard.
- As known going in, these are overgassed. Will be getting KNS piston to dial it in - once in stock again.

Other notes:
- I didn't like the plastic magwell so I chopped it. There are replacement kits from KNS that use AR grips, but I actually like the grip so chop it was. Galil receiver lines are sexy.
- It's a porky one - but - the weight is correlated to the build quality, it is a very nicely built stick.

Shooting observations:
- I'd have to say its recoil is on par with other 5.45/5.56 AK's. The rigidity of the milled receiver transfers more of the pulse than a stamped AK would, but nothing to worry about. I'm tempted to use my YHM brake on it, see if it flattens it out some.
- Iron sights are a hoot to use. 3/4 steel IPSC plates were easy at 100, 200, 300. Lord they are good to have on a "AK" platform.
- With the dot I ran the plates again no issue. Zero'd to the 50/200 method which I do on all the 5.45/5.56's.

Looking forward to getting a few cases through it over the next month or two.

12/6 - round count 510
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of curiosity, why does the handuagrd "suck"? Is it too wide a grip?
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, why does the handuagrd "suck"? Is it too wide a grip?
View Quote

It's fat and short.

Think a KAC RAS with rail covers on.

If it were thinner and 1-2" longer then it would be OK.

I love traditional front AK handguards and these are meh in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's fat and short.

View Quote

Thanks for the response. I am on the fence about these, and will follow this thread to see how you (and others) modify them. I assume IWI will import these again, but not for a long while.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's fat and short.

View Quote

I agree, the factory hand guard is too short, and fat, I'm also eagerly awaiting RS Regulate to get back some back in stock.

My SBR, with KNS Precision plastic delete kit, Tango Down reduced angle grip, Lage folding stock with the 1913 mount, on the KNS 1913 end plate.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree, the factory hand guard is too short, and fat, I'm also eagerly awaiting RS Regulate to get back some back in stock.

My SBR, with KNS Precision plastic delete kit, Tango Down reduced angle grip, Lage folding stock with the 1913 mount, on the KNS 1913 end plate.

https://i.imgur.com/HH4eNep.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Fin,

You gonna leave that "lower" like that, or you gonna go ahead and replace the PG and mag release too? I've never liked the look of the ACE "lower" and always said I'd convert it to old school style if I ever got one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fin,

You gonna leave that "lower" like that, or you gonna go ahead and replace the PG and mag release too? I've never liked the look of the ACE "lower" and always said I'd convert it to old school style if I ever got one.
View Quote

At some point yes, I’ll change it up. It’s secondary on the list as I do like the factory grip.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you grouped it yet?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you grouped it yet?
View Quote

outside of establishing zero no.

50y was nice and tight.

Didn't want to wait for "all cold" to hang paper as the "long range (100-1250y)" went hot when I walked over. So shot about 150 rounds at the plates.

Hopefully I can sneak out one day this week at lunch or weekend after next to group it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good:
- Sights 100% improvement over any AK option, excellent
View Quote
Also, can't agree with this

You know I think highly of you, but this is unacceptable

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also, can't agree with this

You know I think highly of you, but this is unacceptable

View Quote
heretics I tell ya!

I've actually kinda sorta really been wanting one of these, but this last year has been a bitch money wise for me. Maybe soon.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Does 5.45 hand guard uses two screw like 5.56 to hold in place or one screw like the 7.62?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does 5.45 hand guard uses two screw like 5.56 to hold in place or one screw like the 7.62?
View Quote

Two screw
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Sitting here messing with this while on perpetual zoom meetings it seems.

Oddly enough while this is an evolution of the AK-47 > Rk.62 > Galil, I'm feeling a lot of FAL DNA in this as well.

Hard to say what it is besides the left side charging handle, but its like the ultimate mashup of AK and FAL in short.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another Finslayer83, TX-Zen, nictra thread.

My favorite kind.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet rig, I've always been interested in the Galils, not quite sure why I never jumped into one. Maybe I'll have to look for one seeing as I have more 5.45 than anything else!
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sitting here messing with this while on perpetual zoom meetings it seems.

Oddly enough while this is an evolution of the AK-47 > Rk.62 > Galil, I'm feeling a lot of FAL DNA in this as well.

Hard to say what it is besides the left side charging handle, but its like the ultimate mashup of AK and FAL in short.

View Quote

Dammit man, now you're talking mah language. Xmas bonus is next week.......
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Great thread, subscribed! Really love both my rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great thread, subscribed! Really love both my rifle and pistol.
View Quote

How has your accuracy been?

Im looking forward to shooting groups. Limiting factor will be ammo. Just have 7n6 and Golden Tiger.

Might seek some hornady out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:Might seek some hornady out.
View Quote
I've had the best groups in my AK105 with Hornady Black, you ought to try it

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 5:03:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How has your accuracy been?

Im looking forward to shooting groups. Limiting factor will be ammo. Just have 7n6 and Golden Tiger.

Might seek some hornady out.
View Quote

Have only just fired at steel in the desert, but seems very accurate. I'm waiting on a shipment of diverse 5.45 to arrive, and plan on doing an accuracy test.

Right now I have Wolf Mil Classic, Wolf Polyformance, RAS 69gr, Barnaul poly, RAS 59gr, 60 and 65gr Silver Bear, and Golden Tiger. Waiting on a bit more, including Hornady Black.

Hopefully I can get to a bench range to group them soon.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Have only just fired at steel in the desert, but seems very accurate. I'm waiting on a shipment of diverse 5.45 to arrive, and plan on doing an accuracy test.

Right now I have Wolf Mil Classic, Wolf Polyformance, RAS 69gr, Barnaul poly, RAS 59gr, 60 and 65gr Silver Bear, and Golden Tiger. Waiting on a bit more, including Hornady Black.

Hopefully I can get to a bench range to group them soon.
View Quote

Excellent - please share in here when you do.

I realized I do have some the RAS 59g made by Vympel - pretty sure its just repackaged Golden Tiger.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I swear to god I must have monster hands or something, I love the width of the Handguard

When I shoot with normal AK handguards and irons I have to keep my hand in more of a U or else my fingers wrap around in front and block the front post

That said I’m not sure why the didn’t extend the handguards up to the FSB/GB combo
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Finslayer - what mag carrier is depicted here?

Regards
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Looks like a Ford F-150 to me.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Finslayer - what mag carrier is depicted here?

Regards
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

UW Gear

great kit - long wait - worth it

@ironhandjohn it’s a different vehicle now

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#28]
+1 to UW gear, they make excellent stuff
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#29]
++1 excellent stuff. Good guy too
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

UW Gear

great kit - long wait - worth it

@ironhandjohn it’s a different vehicle now

View Quote

Anyone know the wait times? I really like the look of his bandoliers, if anyone knows of a similar bandolier set up with the waist strap I’m all ears (eyes, w/e)
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Anyone know the wait times? I really like the look of his bandoliers, if anyone knows of a similar bandolier set up with the waist strap I’m all ears (eyes, w/e)
View Quote

Mine was 6 months.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#33]
IWI had RS pistol handguards in stock today, for a hour or so.  Even though I signed up for their email restock notification, I never got an email.  They were long gone before I even knew about it.

I've given up on getting an RS handguard in any reasonable amount of time, and I really wonder if MI will run some any time soon, with all the demand for their other stuff.

The more I mess with the factory handguard/rails, the more it totally sucks.  

I did get an ALG AK trigger to work in it though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IWI had RS pistol handguards in stock today, for a hour or so.  Even though I signed up for their email restock notification, I never got an email.  They were long gone before I even knew about it.

I've given up on getting an RS handguard in any reasonable amount of time, and I really wonder if MI will run some any time soon, with all the demand for their other stuff.

View Quote

I know dammit. I really need an MI handguard or an RS, an extra couple of inches would be so nice.

What'd you do on the ALG trigger?  @Dr_Nimslow

Here's my contribution of a pic too

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I know dammit. I really need an MI handguard or an RS, an extra couple of inches would be so nice.

What'd you do on the ALG trigger?  @Dr_Nimslow
View Quote

I had to remove some material from the rear of the trigger assembly, where it was interfering with the rear of the cutout in the receiver, then it went in fine.  If you look at an ALG galil trigger, the body above the bow is square in the front and back, on the AK trigger, It's tapered.  Basically, I just squared it off.

Is that a V-project magazine?  Does it run ok?  I've got a few laying around that don't work that well in my SGL.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I had to remove some material from the rear of the trigger assembly, where it was interfering with the rear of the cutout in the receiver, then it went in fine.  If you look at an ALG galil trigger, the body above the bow is square in the front and back, on the AK trigger, It's tapered.  Basically, I just squared it off.

Is that a V-project magazine?  Does it run ok?  I've got a few laying around that don't work that well in my SGL.
View Quote

Yep, I have 3 or 4, work great in the Galil and my friend's Bulgarian 74 built by/for Atlantic Firearms. 1500 ish rounds through mine at this point. Beat the hell out of one to see if I could break it too and it's fine. A hair loose lock up in the Galil though.

I guess I'll have to try out the ALG trigger then
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

On 22 October MI told me via email they would have their Ace rifle handguards in 8-10 weeks and the pistol handguards in 10-12 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

On 22 October MI told me via email they would have their Ace rifle handguards in 8-10 weeks and the pistol handguards in 10-12 weeks.
View Quote

I just got a short 5” RS  regulate model for my rifle, it’s perfect, handles like a completely different weapon with all that weight gone from the front handguard, plus it looks great, I’d wait if at all possible
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I just got a short 5” RS  regulate model for my rifle, it’s perfect, handles like a completely different weapon with all that weight gone from the front handguard, plus it looks great, I’d wait if at all possible
View Quote

They are great handguards, but at the rate RS is able to get them out, we will probably be waiting a very long time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm going to state the obvious: these rifles look better with the factory bottom polymer on them. The receiver has too many angles to be aesthetically pleasing in their absence.

Apologies to all of you that disagree.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm going to state the obvious: these rifles look better with the factory bottom polymer on them. The receiver has too many angles to be aesthetically pleasing in their absence.

View Quote

Lol yeah I disagree with you. I think it's better without it.

That and magwells on AK patterns always mess with me getting the mg hooked in.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lol yeah I disagree with you. I think it's better without it.

That and magwells on AK patterns always mess with me getting the mg hooked in.
View Quote

First off, I respect your opinion. But I have a feeling like I am right and you are wrong. Therefore, in the tradition of the internet, we must go back and forth three or four hundred times trying to convince each other of our respective positions.

(or we can just agree to disagree).
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

First off, I respect your opinion. But I have a feeling like I am right and you are wrong. Therefore, in the tradition of the internet, we must go back and forth three or four hundred times trying to convince each other of our respective positions.

(or we can just agree to disagree).
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are the first person I have heard say this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can’t come to my birthday party.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#46]
lol. What's the timeline on the new handguard Fin?

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

RS is supposed to have blems out soon.

MI is supposed to be soon as well.

RS for sale in EE - $500
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

soonTM

I've been bugging them here and there for the last few months since getting mine at Kalashbash. My 5.45 ACE is nearly in the same boat right now. Im just waiting on the F1 to return so I can chop mine down to the GB.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

soonTM

I've been bugging them here and there for the last few months since getting mine at Kalashbash. My 5.45 ACE is nearly in the same boat right now. Im just waiting on the F1 to return so I can chop mine down to the GB.
View Quote

@soflanick RS has 10” blems for $185.

ETA: in the other products section.

Just snagged one - 24 left in stock.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@soflanick RS has 10” blems for $185.

ETA: in the other products section.

Just snagged one - 24 left in stock.
View Quote

My man! I managed to snag one myself! Thanks for the heads up!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top