BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/5/2020 8:06:26 PM EDT
Now that I've finally got my psa 74 folder ordered, I'm thinking about either swapping the gas block for a sight combo and pin/weld to 14.5, or sbr it and turn it into an ak105 ish rifle.

The question is, what sight/gas block combo should I use? On one hand I'd like to just chop the barrel to 12.5, change the gas block, and put an asr mount for my suppressor.

On the other hand, I do like the classic look with the threaded gas block and booster or cone.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
there's a guy on the akfiles who sells US made reproductions of the Bulgarian 104/105 FSB/GB combo. Decent prices, and it's a quick swap.

I'm not a fan of any of the bolt-ons, not for anything I'd consider a "serious" rifle.

I have a 105, working on getting a 104, and I can tell you that it is the best of the 3 in the series (74M, AKSU, 105).
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I will have to check him out if I go that route. I can understand the wariness for the bolt on/clamp style gas block.

I have seen a ton that look to pin on. If I decide to go normal flash hider I will be going with one of those.

ETA: can anyone point me in the direction for the akfiles guy? I recently became a member but haven't found those gasblocks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
what the heck. ive signed up for every notification possible from psa and I had no idea the folders were even added to the site.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what the heck. ive signed up for every notification possible from psa and I had no idea the folders were even added to the site.
View Quote
Yea man they sell out so quickly that the "Notify me" isnt quick enough. I am in the PSA AK facebook group and noticed a picture of a folder posted by an employee. I checked the website around 2:45 cst and saw it added. From 2:58 until they came in stock at 3pm I was hitting refresh constantly.

Eta: per FB, I would check around 4pm eastern tomorrow. More variants apparently too so maybe triangle folders.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesnt JMAC make a block?  I used all bulgy parts to make my 105 off of a 104fr
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
JMAC's block is a decent one, but no 24mm threads.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
An option is an adjustable JMAC or adjustable Definitive Arms DAG-13 with a Krebs IMS that's had the flash hider tines turned off in the lathe.

I just did this one:
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
That's noice!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
An option is an adjustable JMAC or adjustable Definitive Arms DAG-13 with a Krebs IMS that's had the flash hider tines turned off in the lathe.

I just did this one:
https://imgur.com/a/ZT56rzz
View Quote
That is indeed noiceeeee

You are a man with skills brother

I wish I had gotten on the AK12 train earlier but debated too long and the Russian situation went to shit. Was looking forward to having you do that work

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
OP you may also consider leaving an inch of barrel exposed past the FSB and threading for 1/2x28. I did this with one AK105 and one AKSU and while I don't think it's absolutely necessary because of the great results of the Griffin 24x1.5 to 1/2x28 adaptor, it does give you some peace of mind that no matter what you'll have concentric threads. You can use a traditional cone booster or other standard 24x1.5 muzzle device if you want the classic look but still be ready to rock and roll a QD suppressor mount, or direct thread your can

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP you may also consider leaving an inch of barrel exposed past the FSB and threading for 1/2x28. I did this with one AK105 and one AKSU and while I don't think it's absolutely necessary because of the great results of the Griffin 24x1.5 to 1/2x28 adaptor, it does give you some peace of mind that no matter what you'll have concentric threads. You can use a traditional cone booster or other standard 24x1.5 muzzle device if you want the classic look but still be ready to rock and roll a QD suppressor mount, or direct thread your can

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20191012_093620-1121416.jpg
View Quote

That is an awesome idea
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yea man they sell out so quickly that the "Notify me" isnt quick enough. I am in the PSA AK facebook group and noticed a picture of a folder posted by an employee. I checked the website around 2:45 cst and saw it added. From 2:58 until they came in stock at 3pm I was hitting refresh constantly.

Eta: per FB, I would check around 4pm eastern tomorrow. More variants apparently too so maybe triangle folders.
View Quote

yea I was on the site yesterday at that time refreshing hoping to score a 74.

I actually saw the 103 folders in stock and could have ordered one but im waiting for a 74. I sent a request in to join the PSA AKV group (thats the only one I saw). but nobody has accepted my join request yet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

yea I was on the site yesterday at that time refreshing hoping to score a 74.

I actually saw the 103 folders in stock and could have ordered one but im waiting for a 74. I sent a request in to join the PSA AKV group (thats the only one I saw). but nobody has accepted my join request yet.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

That's the one you want to look for.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Roger that, just requested to join.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I snagged a red wood triangle folder today.

I’m more excited than a virgin on prom night
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm more excited than a virgin on prom night
View Quote
Hell yea!

I just ordered a bunch of zenitco stuff from motha Russia.

This is what I am going for in the end but in black. The railed dust cover will come later.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hell yea!

This is what I am going for in the end but in black. The railed dust cover will come later.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/9C81DB5B-27C9-4F5B-8C1D-E589D2A0F4DA_jpe-1625213.JPG
View Quote

Thanks again for the heads up on that group.

you going for the alpha inspired build like LAV did a video on?  video

I'm torn on if I want to put some zenitco stuff on this 74. Ive had my KP9 for about 4 months now and put a B21U on it so I could run a white light and I really dig the modern russian stuff but the wood on those 74's in the pics just look really good on them.

ETA: what color furniture was on the one you ordered?
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Alpha is what I am going for. If you follow Trex arms on Instagram, he's got a good example of one, along with LAV.

I ordered the black furniture. I knew people would be going for the plum and I didn't want to chance it.

People are getting shipping notices for the polymer folders so I'm guessing mine will ship this week.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Alpha is what I am going for. If you follow Trex arms on Instagram, he's got a good example of one, along with LAV.

I ordered the black furniture. I knew people would be going for the plum and I didn't want to chance it.

People are getting shipping notices for the polymer folders so I'm guessing mine will ship this week.
View Quote

nice.

when you get your shipping notice care to post the order date and ship date? im impatient and trying to figure out when I might get mine

Gotta start shopping for mags and ammo now. I kinda want to shoot it first before I blow a load on mags and ammo, but at the same time I want to get it while its available.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

nice.

when you get your shipping notice care to post the order date and ship date? im impatient and trying to figure out when I might get mine

Gotta start shopping for mags and ammo now. I kinda want to shoot it first before I blow a load on mags and ammo, but at the same time I want to get it while its available.
View Quote
Yea I can for sure do that.

I did the opposite and spent a bunch on ammo and surplus mags a couple months ago in anticipation of this release (really wanted the krink). Glad I did it then and paid about $.26/rd vs the current $.36/rd. Obviously I wish I would have got in on 7n6, but I was just getting into the gun world at that time so I missed out.

Just got my shipping notice from Ivan Tactical. I would hope to have that in a month or less. Also had to order the top handguard from Russian-Thunder. Be interesting to compare their delivery time.

So now the next step is to pick up that gasblock combo from a guy over at akfiles, then file the sbr paper work.

I plan to use Mesa Kinetic (Vince) to do the work. One because he is local, and two because I have seen positive reviews from his work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yea I can for sure do that.

I did the opposite and spent a bunch on ammo and surplus mags a couple months ago in anticipation of this release (really wanted the krink). Glad I did it then and paid about $.26/rd vs the current $.36/rd. Obviously I wish I would have got in on 7n6, but I was just getting into the gun world at that time so I missed out.

Just got my shipping notice from Ivan Tactical. I would hope to have that in a month or less. Also had to order the top handguard from Russian-Thunder. Be interesting to compare their delivery time.

So now the next step is to pick up that gasblock combo from a guy over at akfiles, then file the sbr paper work.

I plan to use Mesa Kinetic (Vince) to do the work. One because he is local, and two because I have seen positive reviews from his work.
View Quote

Right on.

In the KUSA KP9 owners group guys ordering from Ivan are getting their orders in about 9-14 days assuming you do the expedited shipping.
Ive been ordering from akstuff just because he is already stateside.

I missed out on the 7n6 too, I can remember during either the 2008 or 2012 panic 7n6 being on aim surplus for $79 per 1080 can. Going to a couple small specialized AK shops this weekend, last time I was there they still had some 7n6 in crates and barnaul for .27 CPR so maybe I will luck out.

cheapest im seeing right now online is .33 CPR
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hell yea!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/9C81DB5B-27C9-4F5B-8C1D-E589D2A0F4DA_jpe-1625213.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm more excited than a virgin on prom night
Hell yea!

Just an FYI, if you're going to use the long Zentico rail, the Bulgy 104 block combo might or might not work because of clearance issues. (The detent channel hitting the right side of the rail) The Russian sight combos don't have this issue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just an FYI, if you're going to use the long Zentico rail, the Bulgy 104 block combo might or might not work because of clearance issues. (The detent channel hitting the right side of the rail) The Russian sight combos don't have this issue.
View Quote
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I may have to do some modifications to the rail then..

This is the block I ordered from a guy on akfiles:

Attachment Attached File

I see what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Also I got my shipping notification this morning.

I ordered on Monday (10/5) shipped Today (10/9). Will probably have it in hand late next week.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I may have to do some modifications to the rail then..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/Gasblock_combo_3_JPG-1627343.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/Gasblock_combo_3_JPG-1627343.JPG

Looks like those repros are a bit modified on the detent channel so you might not have this issue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Looks like those repros are a bit modified on the detent channel so you might not have this issue.
View Quote
That sure would make it easier.

I am throwing around the idea of having my smith (Mesa Kinetic) install the combo block, then doing the barrel chop and crown myself. Since I have to do the actual creation of the sbr anyway, and it seems like plenty of people have done it themselves, I feel like I could easily do the chop and crown.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Also I got my shipping notification this morning.

I ordered on Monday (10/5) shipped Today (10/9). Will probably have it in hand late next week.
View Quote

roger that.

hoping mine will go out at the beginning of next week. I'm only about 6.5 hours away from PSA so maybe my transit time will only be a couple days.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want "correct", you will need a Bulgarian unit (assuming that is the barrel profile standard)

Can be hard to find and at times expensive. I did a WTB ad and had one in under a week.

SLR-104Fr -> SLR-104CR

With all the stuff on it

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you want "correct", you will need a Bulgarian unit (assuming that is the barrel profile standard)

Can be hard to find and at times expensive. I did a WTB ad and had one in under a week.

SLR-104Fr -> SLR-104CR

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/SSO105-9-1611958.jpg

With all the stuff on it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/SSO105-3-1467609.jpg
View Quote
The combo block I posted earlier is based on the bulgy one.

I did learn that the psa gas block id is .9523" and the one I ordered is .950". Vince at Mesa kinetic said we would just turn down the barrel since it will be pulled anyway.

I guess the barrel gets pulled to swap gas blocks? Or Bc I will be chopping the barrel? This will be my first adventure into modifying/"building" an ak.

eta: I love all your ak pics.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I did my own install of Bulgy GB/FSB and di my own cut and crown. No barrel pulling required.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#31]
First step achieved. Picked up the rifle this afternoon. I haven't been this excited about a project in a long time.

Attachment Attached File

So one thing I didn't realize is that nitride doesn't mean BLACK nitride .

How should I coat the gas block? Cerakote? Black nitride? Where should I send it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I was actually considering doing this same exact thing... Can anyone point me in the right direction for a gas block combo? I don't seem to have an AKfiles account (somehow) and it looks like new registration is closed.

ETA can I ask how much that PSA 74 cost you?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
First step achieved. Picked up the rifle this afternoon. I haven't been this excited about a project in a long time.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/3027D6BC-FF7C-4A88-8F03-6683C51A6B1F_jpe-1634520.JPG

So one thing I didn't realize is that nitride doesn't mean BLACK nitride .

How should I coat the gas block? Cerakote? Black nitride? Where should I send it?
View Quote

I use semigloss appliance epoxy in spray can and while it's still wet, hit it lightly with some flat black high heat engine paint. That's just my method, but it gets it close to the Russian finish. Then I bake it at 375 for about 30 mins, then let cool in oven.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was actually considering doing this same exact thing... Can anyone point me in the right direction for a gas block combo? I don't seem to have an AKfiles account (somehow) and it looks like new registration is closed.

ETA can I ask how much that PSA 74 cost you?
View Quote
I was able to create a new AK files account recently. I'd say within the last month. Just had to answer some questions. I even put my user name for this forum to help my chances. It was approved a couple days later.

That guy is out of combo blocks right now and it'll be a couple months to restock.

I paid $1,118. Includes shipping and LA tax.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I use semigloss appliance epoxy in spray can and while it's still wet, hit it lightly with some flat black high heat engine paint. That's just my method, but it gets it close to the Russian finish. Then I bake it at 375 for about 30 mins, then let cool in oven.
View Quote
Interesting. I will keep that in mind.

eta: wait, I may be rattle canning this thing in the end anyway, so I many be overthinking it. Another option would be to find someone local that does moly resin.

My builder would want to refinish it after it is installed, which means a refinish for the whole rifle (receiver, barrel, gasblock). Just seems a little over kill doesn't it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I was just messing around with things today and realized that my gas piston head doesn't fit in the combo gas block. It fits if I rotate the piston 90* but it's tight.

I plan on getting a 1/2" honing bit to open the piston port (if that is what it's called) to give it some more play/room.

Is that the correct way to go about it? Could always sand down the head of the piston too I guess.

eta: ordered a 1/2" and 5/8" ball hone to hopefully enlarge the piston cylinder. The ID measures .541-.555" depending where you measure. Hopefully this solves the problem.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Used some ball hones I got from McMaster carr (holy hell they ship and deliver fast!). I was able to take enough material to let the piston ride in and out without hanging up.

Since I will be spray painting the build when done, I went with high temp header paint for the gas block. Cured in the oven (in my case gas grill) according to the directions. Came out pretty good.

Attachment Attached File

Next step is to get it to the builder to swap out the gas blocks. I will be leaving the barrel long until the stamp comes back then I will do the chop and crown myself.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Bcamp, you shoot your rifle yet?

I picked mine up last wednesday and got to shoot it over the weekend. sights were almost dead on out of the box, very minute adjustment and I was banging dead center of the steel at 100.

had 60 rounds of TulAmmo to mess around with (I also have some Barnaul and ordered a case of RAS made at vympel).

Had one round that FTF and had another that must have been out of spec, click and no boom. Looked at the bolt wasnt closed on the round. Yanked it back and the bullet was lodged in the lands, powder went everywhere, and had to tap out the bullet with a cleaning rod.
Thank god I didnt have an OOB det on that round because there is a primer strike.

I posted the pic in the FB group. Chad from PSA commented on it and we both attributed it to an out of spec round. He said PSA also headspaces these rifles tighter than most.

Going to test more next time I shoot it with different ammo. everyone says the 5.45 flavor of Tula is crap. Even googling it I saw some forum posts where guys had a round not chamber and get the bullet stuck in the chamber.

Also how snug do your mags fit? im using the bulgarian mags Robski sells on the AKOU store but I expected them to fit a little more snug.
When the mag is loaded there is considerably less wobble though.

ETA: sorry, not trying to hijack your thread
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bcamp, you shoot your rifle yet?

I picked mine up last wednesday and got to shoot it over the weekend. sights were almost dead on out of the box, very minute adjustment and I was banging dead center of the steel at 100.

had 60 rounds of TulAmmo to mess around with (I also have some Barnaul and ordered a case of RAS made at vympel).

Had one round that FTF and had another that must have been out of spec, click and no boom. Looked at the bolt wasnt closed on the round. Yanked it back and the bullet was lodged in the lands, powder went everywhere, and had to tap out the bullet with a cleaning rod.
Thank god I didnt have an OOB det on that round because there is a primer strike.

I posted the pic in the FB group. Chad from PSA commented on it and we both attributed it to an out of spec round. He said PSA also headspaces these rifles tighter than most.

https://scontent.fbkl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/121579993_10160232845419307_7440660546934085925_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=oX4X3LsUvOoAX9xc6Ji&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkl1-1.fna&oh=00b0b079fc5a373836d9b943fb217120&oe=5FB196D3

https://scontent.fbkl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/121575323_10160233144324307_2543748065376609715_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=1tVzlqEILiIAX9YYGbl&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkl1-1.fna&oh=f2b496438a1788f9529e90a04372ee6c&oe=5FB29DE4

Going to test more next time I shoot it with different ammo. everyone says the 5.45 flavor of Tula is crap. Even googling it I saw some forum posts where guys had a round not chamber and get the bullet stuck in the chamber.

Also how snug do your mags fit? im using the bulgarian mags Robski sells on the AKOU store but I expected them to fit a little more snug.
When the mag is loaded there is considerably less wobble though.

ETA: sorry, not trying to hijack your thread
View Quote
No worries man. I was starting to think my thread was dying lol.

I actually saw your post either before or after I left the range Saturday, cant remember. I shot 240rds of 59gr golden tiger. Not a single issue at all. I've got 2k of that and 1k of RAS 59gr. Both made at Vympel and both is the same ammo from my understanding. Even have the same headstamp. I would chalk it up to bad ammo.

My rifle was also pretty close to zero. Windage was good but it was shooting high at 50. I didn't even bother to mess with it since I will be putting that new block on.

I was using all surplus mags. Circle 10's, a couple plums, and a couple bakelite 45 rounders. The black (10)'s fit very snug, but not too tight. The plums and bakelites fit fine.

The rifle really was a dream to shoot. I love it. Also, if you don't have the alg trigger, get it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No worries man. I was starting to think my thread was dying lol.

I actually saw your post either before or after I left the range Saturday, cant remember. I shot 240rds of 59gr golden tiger. Not a single issue at all. I've got 2k of that and 1k of RAS 59gr. Both made at Vympel and both is the same ammo from my understanding. Even have the same headstamp. I would chalk it up to bad ammo.

My rifle was also pretty close to zero. Windage was good but it was shooting high at 50. I didn't even bother to mess with it since I will be putting that new block on.

I was using all surplus mags. Circle 10's, a couple plums, and a couple bakelite 45 rounders. The black (10)'s fit very snug, but not too tight. The plums and bakelites fit fine.

The rifle really was a dream to shoot. I love it. Also, if you don't have the alg trigger, get it.
View Quote

This is my first 74 so I didnt have any mags and ordered those 3 before I got the gun. I didnt have any jams in the 60 rounds I shot over the weekend with the 3 bulgarian's I have, so I ordered 7 more last night. There is a bit of front to back wobble. I wish the mag catch extended a little further to actually put pressure on the back of the mag.

ive got probably 20-30 mags of 3-4 different types that dont wobble front to back in my other AK (WASR), all have the mag release resting on the mag when its seated.

I dont think im going to go for the ALG trigger. I actually thought about getting the high energy mainspring from ALG for this gun to make the trigger a little heavier.
The factory trigger is fairly light for my tastes.

Went to shoot the first round out of it and it surprised the shit out of me because it was much lighter than I expected. I even checked the hammer/trigger engagement to make sure it had full lock up and it does.

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Got some of my stuff from Russia. Definitely required some grinding and fitting. Still waiting on the upper hand guard and will be ordering a b33 soon.

Going by the builder tomorrow to discuss the gas block swap.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got some of my stuff from Russia. Definitely required some grinding and fitting. Still waiting on the upper hand guard and will be ordering a b33 soon.

Going by the builder tomorrow to discuss the gas block swap.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308934/F90453B8-6DD8-40F5-ACE0-AAB538E8662B_jpe-1646122.JPG
View Quote
Will there be enough clearance with that rail for gas block? I know it's a bit wider than a standard FSB. Hopefully yes, because I think that would look pretty damn cool.

ETA: hammer pin is walking out
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Will there be enough clearance with that rail for gas block? I know it's a bit wider than a standard FSB. Hopefully yes, because I think that would look pretty damn cool.

ETA: hammer pin is walking out
View Quote
From roughly lining the new block up, it looks like there is going to be plenty of room. If for some reason there isn't, I'll bust out the dremel again.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I got the retaining plate in correctly but maybe I didn't.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I dig the zenitco stuff.

I have a B21U on a KP9 and its excellent. The funny part is the instructions that come with it are all in Russian and specify the way to install the hand guard is with a hammer

Typical Russian instructions lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I dig the zenitco stuff.

I have a B21U on a KP9 and its excellent. The funny part is the instructions that come with it are all in Russian and specify the way to install the hand guard is with a hammer

Typical Russian instructions lol
View Quote
Oh a hammer was involved.

I had to grind down the rear of the rail that fits into the receiver then I had to grind the inside bottom lip of the rifles retaining plate. It fits snug now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I've heard from a couple ZenitCo dealer that the hammer is required because the original design was intended to be compatible with GP25 and GP30 under barrel grenade launchers, and any fitting would disrupt the tolerances to stay put when the grenade launcher fired

Clearly they can't fit a GP25 to the Vityaz / KR-9 but they probably figured since the hammer works might as well keep going with it

Also, for whatever reason, my KR-9 took the ZenitCo HG pretty easily, no(t much) hammer required

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Just heard from Ivan at Russian Thunder. Apparently the upper handguard was out of stock when I ordered and is supposed to be in stock Friday. I wish I woulda known, but I don't think he has live inventory on his site or something. Either way, glad he got back with me.

eta: dropped the rifle of for a gasblock swap. To my surprise I should have it back this week.

Still waiting on my cover letter for my eform 1. It's still "pending research".
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#48]
The ZenitCo stuff is great. Super tight fitting. But fitting is definitely required. I had to take a file to my B10U to get it to fit into the receiver, and to get the handguard cap to fit. And even then, I had to use a rubber mallet to get things installed. But it's very solid once installed.

Russian thunder was awesome, too. I got my stuff probably 2 weeks after I ordered.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#49]
What’s a Bulgarian 105/104 sight block go for these days?
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What's a Bulgarian 105/104 sight block go for these days?
View Quote
I saw one posted here for like 400 bucks. F all that noise. I bought a reproduction bulgy block with all the sight and plunger hardware for $170 from a guy on akfiles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top