BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/24/2020 10:47:06 PM EDT
I was one of the lucky ones who jumped on the 103 when they released it last Friday. Had a couple of GF-2s before but sold them once I got word of the AKE and 103 Klones.

Mine is serial number 122. Initial impressions are solid, definitely the best looking AK I’ve ever owned. Range report will come sometime this weekend...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#2]
i guess you could cork a square bail................nice rifle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Buddy got his today as well. Side folder

The gun looks great but trigger is pretty bad even for AK standards. Folding stock has more wiggle than what we both thought to be normal. And a scratch on a swivel which is no big deal. And the hole for the fold stock mechanism cutout looks way over sized.

Over all nice. But for $1k the trigger should be much better and stock wobble minimal.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]
im still holding out for a 74
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Wobble left to right or all over?  Is Palmetto making their own folding stocks, or are they using Arsenal ones?

If it wobbles, I’d think something is out of spec, probably some combination of undersized and oversized, on the back.  Stock, pin, trunnion, or latch.  

If the stock was Arsenal, I at least know those are dimensioned correctly. I can tell from the pics the latch is weird and non-standard, so it may not be hooking tightly into the stock. That’d give you left to right play. That would be the first thing I’d investigate/replace, though Russian/Bulgarian latch sets aren’t exactly falling off trees anymore.

If the stock pin or the holes it goes through are wrong, that’d be all over movement when folding and locked into position. To have all three wrong though? More likely to get the pin oversize then you have to fight it to move.

Looks nice otherwise, look forward to hearing how all these shoot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#6]
looks good.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Stock wobble was left to tight and possibly up
& down. Had a Arsenal once similar but had tape with paper placed in the rear of the pocket and tighten everything up.

The latch mechanism is good. Seems robust.

guess I should also add. My buddy has probably 20+ AKs Ranging from Arsenals, Vepers, PSA, M+M, WASR, Mak etc...

His AKE is by far one of the nicest. We just both expected that the 104 for $200 more would be of same level. Not that it's bad but premium price better carry premium cosmetic and mechanical perfection.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/25617E53-54D9-496D-8826-257D21D8BD8B_jpe-1518225.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/FEC9F9C6-8B01-438F-8F3D-D4463162429B_jpe-1518227.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/FA3A6C60-FC4A-4576-BCDC-ED0D019B747E_jpe-1518228.JPGBuddy got his today as well. Side folder

The gun looks great but trigger is pretty bad even for AK standards. Folding stock has more wiggle than what we both thought to be normal. And a scratch on a swivel which is no big deal. And the hole for the fold stock mechanism cutout looks way over sized.

Over all nice. But for $1k the trigger should be much better and stock wobble minimal.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/4B5BFF99-F7D4-42A6-A64A-5014F78413D7_jpe-1518231.JPG
View Quote

Is that a ribbed top cover?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is that a ribbed top cover?
View Quote
It's a copy of the SLR107 or Bulgarian pattern AK, so yes it is. Think of it as an early 80s AK74 chambered in 7.62x39 instead of 5.45. It doesn't have many technical details in common with the modernized Russian AK103
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stock wobble was left to tight and possibly up
& down. Had a Arsenal once similar but had tape with paper placed in the rear of the pocket and tighten everything up.

The latch mechanism is good. Seems robust.

guess I should also add. My buddy has probably 20+ AKs Ranging from Arsenals, Vepers, PSA, M+M, WASR, Mak etc...

His AKE is by far one of the nicest. We just both expected that the 104 for $200 more would be of same level. Not that it's bad but premium price better carry premium cosmetic and mechanical perfection.
View Quote
I can live with a little wobble if it's a shooter. Have you guys grouped it yet?

OP, when are you getting to the range? I'm buying one to support PSA no matter what, but I do want to see how well it shoots

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's a copy of the SLR107 or Bulgarian pattern AK, so yes it is. Think of it as an early 80s AK74 chambered in 7.62x39 instead of 5.45. It doesn't have many technical details in common with the modernized Russian AK103
View Quote

Ok
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can live with a little wobble if it's a shooter. Have you guys grouped it yet?

OP, when are you getting to the range? I'm buying one to support PSA no matter what, but I do want to see how well it shoots

View Quote

Na came in yesterday. The owner a member of the files No2allstars is going to post some pics there once they get back up and going.

For a shooter I think all the minor complaints I have with it are fine. I just come back around to the 1k price tag. At that price it should be perfect. Told the owner of it to get with me and I'll video the differences and try to document the wobble.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Normally, PSA puts out a really cringy looking product: Gigantic logos, primitive railed dust covers, DDI's FSB/GB, etc. etc...

But I don't know..I actually like the factory logo they went with here. It is tiny, inside a triangle, and not over pronounced. I probably won't buy one, but they are moving in the right direction.  Any chance one of you fellas can do a close up of the selector notches?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Normally, PSA puts out a really cringy looking product: Gigantic logos, primitive railed dust covers, DDI's FSB/GB, etc. etc...

But I don't know..I actually like the factory logo they went with here. It is tiny, inside a triangle, and not over pronounced. I probably won't buy one, but they are moving in the right direction.  Any chance one of you fellas can do a close up of the selector notches?
View Quote

yep we thought that too. That's why I took a pic of it. Hope they do it on all the models
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#16]
It doesn't look bad but they shouldn't have called it an AK-103 clone.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do say it’s a clone.

Also, OP’s has a smooth dust cover, as does every other one I’ve seen save the one posted above.  I’d message PSA for the correct cover.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#18]
PSA AK's have gotten a LOT better with recent releases. AKOU has done exhaustive testing on them with great results.

Mines a pistol and I love it.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They do say it's a clone.

Also, OP's has a smooth dust cover, as does every other one I've seen save the one posted above.  I'd message PSA for the correct cover.
View Quote
It's not really a clone of the AK103 though, it's just a marketing tactic to lure people into buying a 'sophisticated, modern AK'. They are trying to get around some of the stigma of the (undeserved) trashcan gun reputation but when you think about this rifle it's just an AKM with a 74 front sight block, and a folder for one model. As I said it doesn't share much in common at all with the actual AK103 or AK74M improvements. PSA does seem to be making really good AKs overall and that's awesome, so while I don't care for them calling it a clone, if it helps to sell more AKs that's a good thing in my book. We finally have a domestic manufacturer doing what we've wanted for 20 years or more which is putting out good rifles at decent prices
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. If they had called it the PSA-107, no one would have complained. Instead they linked it to a Russian gun that is significantly different. I'm not sure why they did that, the Bulgarian guns have a great rep, so it's not like a clone of one is an inherently bad idea.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. If they had called it the PSA-107, no one would have complained. Instead they linked it to a Russian gun that is significantly different. I'm not sure why they did that, the Bulgarian guns have a great rep, so it's not like a clone of one is an inherently bad idea.

Anywho, the triangle logos look great... Very glad they listened to their customers on that front.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I dunno, with all the questionable 107R rifles out there, they may not want to marry into that baggage.

Probably a trade dress thing as well. Arsenal might be able to come poke them in the eye in a courthouse somewhere over it.  Similar product, name is 50% the same, confusion in the marketplace, etc.

We all know it’s a PSA-107FR for the most part, I’m just happy someone that’s not the clownshoes at Arsenal US behind it now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#23]
They can call it the trash can deluxe model for all I care. I'm just glad to see them making decent AKs.

Whats going to be interesting is seeing where these settle in on price in a year or so. After Trump gets re elected think next summer we may see 103 in the $700-800 range possibly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Latch hardware looks like shit on the PSA. Are they attempting to make their own? Wonder what pin dia it uses.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's not really a clone of the AK103 though, it's just a marketing tactic to lure people into buying a 'sophisticated, modern AK'. They are trying to get around some of the stigma of the (undeserved) trashcan gun reputation but when you think about this rifle it's just an AKM with a 74 front sight block, and a folder for one model. As I said it doesn't share much in common at all with the actual AK103 or AK74M improvements. PSA does seem to be making really good AKs overall and that's awesome, so while I don't care for them calling it a clone, if it helps to sell more AKs that's a good thing in my book. We finally have a domestic manufacturer doing what we've wanted for 20 years or more which is putting out good rifles at decent prices
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, OP's has a smooth dust cover, as does every other one I've seen save the one posted above.  I'd message PSA for the correct cover.

I feel you and am not disagreeing.  It’s a 107FR style rifle for all intents and purposes.  I’m cool with that.  FN CHF barrel is a winner for me.

Got mine today by the way, no stock wobble, not other discernible issues.  Everything on mine is super tight and straight.  Smooth dust cover.

The new logo is really cool compared to the older style on the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I feel you and am not disagreeing.  It’s a 107FR style rifle for all intents and purposes.  I’m cool with that.  FN CHF barrel is a winner for me.

Got mine today by the way, no stock wobble, not other discernible issues.  Everything on mine is super tight and straight.  Smooth dust cover.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is yours a side folder?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
So far the weather hasn’t really cooperated on my off days, but I managed to run about 60 rounds just to function test.

I have a MI side rail optic mount and Vortex red dot on the way (placeholder til I get an MRO or something similar) so hopefully I can get some decent groups.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I feel you and am not disagreeing.  It's a 107FR style rifle for all intents and purposes.  I'm cool with that.  FN CHF barrel is a winner for me.

View Quote

So yours has a smooth dust cover?

can you post pics
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is yours a side folder?
View Quote

Yep.  VERY tight.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So yours has a smooth dust cover?

can you post pics
View Quote

Sorry for the quality. 100% non-ribbed.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I really like mine, all of them.

The 103 is probably the nicest looking one of the bunch, the E is one I would grab if my life depended on it right now, with the P being a close second. The 12.5” and the 103 need more range time, the V is a fun toy and the wife’s favorite.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I would buy one or two, they look nice

are they making metal triangle folder version?

are these barrels chrome lined?
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 1:50:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep.  VERY tight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is yours a side folder?

Yep.  VERY tight.

Well mine is pretty loose. Has play up and down and left and right. No other side folder I have is like that. Guess I will have to contact PSA and see what they will do about it. Also my dust cover is definitely the wrong ribbed one... wonder how this got past their qc
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well mine is pretty loose. Has play up and down and left and right. No other side folder I have is like that. Guess I will have to contact PSA and see what they will do about it. Also my dust cover is definitely the wrong ribbed one... wonder how this got past their qc
View Quote

Reach out to Cameron or Josiah.  They’ll get you straightened out.

Trust me, I’m usually the guy who gets anything that QC took a day off on.  I know how it feels, but PSA will make it right.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I would buy one or two, they look nice

are they making metal triangle folder version?

are these barrels chrome lined?
View Quote

Not yet on the triangle.  Yes, FN CHF barrels.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://iili.io/dusS2I.jpg

View Quote
Can you post pics of your locking mechanism?

No 2 allstars looks very open and loose looking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I really like mine, all of them.

The 103 is probably the nicest looking one of the bunch, the E is one I would grab if my life depended on it right now, with the P being a close second. The 12.5" and the 103 need more range time, the V is a fun toy and the wife's favorite.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/504962/E89E8896-E952-4170-A7EA-4A5EF7454B47-1522372.jpg
View Quote

Can you also post close up pics of your side folding mechanism and also the dust cover?

It looks smooth.

Also how is the stock wobble?

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Locks up tight as dicks hat band, dust cover is smooth.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am communicating with him on the files as to whether he wants us to take a look at his gun or not. It should not have the ribbed cover. That was a mistake.

Thanks,

Josiah
View Quote
Well it's got the guys signature on the tag of who let it out the door. Would be a good person to talk too. Lol

also I'm  a big proponent of PSA and there AK line. I feel y'all will make it right.

Thanks for taking a active role in correcting a issue. It speaks volumes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am communicating with him on the files as to whether he wants us to take a look at his gun or not. It should not have the ribbed cover. That was a mistake.

Thanks,

Josiah
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Na came in yesterday. The owner a member of the files No2allstars is going to post some pics there once they get back up and going.

For a shooter I think all the minor complaints I have with it are fine. I just come back around to the 1k price tag. At that price it should be perfect. Told the owner of it to get with me and I'll video the differences and try to document the wobble.

Thanks,

Josiah

That’s why I feel good buying PSA.  No, it shouldn’t have made it out like that, but I bet it’s corrected and back in his hands quickly.  

Luckily mine LOOKS to be perfect in every way I’d expect.  My GF3 has a couple of cosmetic annoyances, but if I get too tired of it I know they’ll fix it quickly.  Functionally my GF3 is a sewing machine.  Just chugging along and stacking them in.  I’m guessing the 103 is the same.

If I’m a fanboy of any manufacturer, it’s PSA.  No, they aren’t perfect but they STRIVE to be as close as possible.  Their FB group guys go out of their way to make things right quickly.  And they give us what we ask for within reason. Not many companies care as much about listening to their customer base.  So yes, I’ll give as much money as I can to a great American success story.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://iili.io/dusS2I.jpg

I haven’t cleaned it yet, as I had a busy night after picking it up.  

Again, mine is pretty tight.  Cosmetically it’s the straightest, nicest AK I’ve had, and that includes an SGL-21, two WASR-10s, a MAK-90 and a GF3 Standard.  The only one almost as nice out of the box was an AMD-65.  This one is that good.  

Rivets are always great on the PSA’s from my experience, this one as well.  Sights are not canted, dust cover comes off relatively easily (unlike my GF3), trigger is above average but not stellar, piston has just a hair of wobble, gas tube comes off easy but is not loose, gas tube lever is tight but not difficult, etc. etc.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that I can’t really find fault with anything yet.  Whoever put mine together deserves a case of decent beer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Once they make these in 5.45, I'm in. I'm not paying $3000 for an SLR-104FR, as much as I want one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#45]
PSA says they are gonna make bulged trunnion AKs at some point...when that happens, I want an RPK-74 clone. Hardly any long bbl 545 guns made it to the USA and they are expensive as hell. Even if the PSA version was $2k it'd be a 'steal'.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
PSA says they are gonna make bulged trunnion AKs at some point...when that happens, I want an RPK-74 clone. Hardly any long bbl 545 guns made it to the USA and they are expensive as hell. Even if the PSA version was $2k it'd be a 'steal'.
View Quote

Heck yeah.  I’d be all over a PSA RPK-74 so fast my credit card would melt.  It’s the biggest glaring hole in my 5.45 collection.

Their 5.56 AK is supposed to use a bulged trunnion, so they’ll have the working knowledge. Just need the heavier profile barrel and appropriate front-end parts like the handguard retainer. Bipod might be a challenge.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
PSA says they are gonna make bulged trunnion AKs at some point
View Quote

PSA is going to make RPKs??

give it to me in 7.62x39 PLEASE
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

PSA is going to make RPKs??

give it to me in 7.62x39 PLEASE
View Quote
They've said they are even going to make an SVD

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm sure that's 3+ years down the road. But would be cool.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'd think a PSL would be pretty straightforward; it's basically an AK.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top