Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/23/2017 9:46:42 AM EDT
I know many AK parts and components are interchangeable/will work on different AK47 models/variants, but I was wondering if this also applied to the Russian made Saiga models?

I have an opportunity to buy another un-converted Saiga 7.62X39 locally and was just wondering it this was a good idea, (considering the ongoing sanctions against Russia) or if I should look at some of the other common Romanian/Polish/Bulgarian/Yugo AK variants? It seems like the Romanian parts are the most available currently.

I know that the Saigas are highly regarded for their quality and reliability.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes most standard AK parts will fit Saiga's. If unconverted you would have to do the conversion first for the furniture, etc to fit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes most standard AK parts will fit Saiga's. If unconverted you would have to do the conversion first for the furniture, etc to fit.
View Quote
I figured as much. Thanks for the reply.

I was in the mood to buy another AK and had a choice between a used Saiga (unconverted) from 2009 or a used, later model WASR 10, with the basic wood furniture, for about the same price. I chose the Saiga. I know I will have to spend more $ for the 922r conversion parts for the Saiga, and the WASR 10 was ready to go pretty much as is; I still think the Saiga was the better choice. I haven't ruled out buying the WASR 10 too. It had a little mag wobble side to side, but not too bad. Some of my ARs have about as much mag wobble as the WASR 10 had. Probably wouldn't wobble as much with a fully loaded mag.

Thanks. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Except for trigger-groups, stocks, grips and handguards, Saiga's are not common AK47/AKM components. Please do your research.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Except for trigger-groups, stocks, grips and handguards, Saiga's are not common AK47/AKM components. Please do your research.
View Quote
You may be right, and I'm far from an expert. But I have done a good bit of research on the subject. I'm quite sure this is a subject for vigorous debate, but from what I've read, the Russian Izhmash Saiga AK variants and components are a step above the common AK47/AKM components. In fact, not all AK47/AKM components are common/interchangeable among all the different variants, Comblock or US made.  

I asked the question here because I thought most of the members here might know more than I do on the subject. Also, the Saigas, converted or not, seem to be bringing a high price these days, whether some components are common to other AKM variants or not.

Thanks. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 and converted they use standard AKM or AK74 parts.

Unconverted versions are somewhat different, but can be brought to proper spec easily enough.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I started the conversion on my new-to-me Saiga 7.62X39 AK sporter. I've done a couple of these already, so I am a bit familiar with the process. However, I'm, beginning to think it better to just buy an Arsenal or similar Saiga already converted and be done with it; but where is the fun in that :-). I broke the tap while threading the bullet guide hole, but fortunately it broke off high enough that I was able to get it out; That's the first time that has happened. I had another tap to finish the job and slowed down a bit and got the bullet guide installed. I test fired it and it ran like a champ.   

Also, I learned more about the dimples in the front-sight-block, gas block and rear-sight block. My other two Sagas have the holes drilled and steel pins installed instead of the dimples. Upon doing a bit of Internet research on the dimples, I don't think the sight-blocks and gas block are going anywhere. They seem very well secured on the barrel to me. I'd prefer the holes drilled and steel pins installed but since I'm not replacing the gas-block and front sight-block, it's not a problem. This particular Saiga also has the Triangle and the arrow pointing upward stamped into the trunion, as well as the receiver. On my other two the triangle proof-mark is stamped only on the receivers. Not sure what that means. My other two have the round trunions, and this one has the flat trunion where the bullet guide goes. I'm still amazed at how hard the steel is on these things... 

I've got the FCG, furniture, gas tube and other hardware ordered (to make it 922r compliant, of course).

Here are a few pics if anyone is interested or had additional advice.    

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The triangle arrow is one of the most well known proofs on the planet along with
a star proof.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Got the parts kit in the mail today to finish the conversion on my latest Saiga 7.62X39. I had to file the gas tube (at the rear sight block) to fit, but it fits good and snug; don't remember having to file the gas tube on the last one I did. 

Anyway, it turned out well, from my perspective, and ran flawlessly when I shot it. I know it's not traditional, per-se, but I reinstalled the bolt-hold-open lever that comes on the Saiga sporters. The lever is a bit in the way of the trigger, but not too bad, once you get used to it. I like the blond wood furniture that I bought used on eBay. I used the bolt-on style hand-guard bracket because I was not in the mood to file the barrel for the traditional type. It works for me...

Here are a few pics. I took a pic of the bullet guide but it was too fuzzy. I need to find a less expensive hobby. :-)

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]
If I were doing one I would buy a Bulgarian 74 kit with either plum or black furniture. I would use the front sight, gas block, handguard retainer, furniture, cleaning rod, trigger guard, sight leaf, and brake. Sell the rest of the parts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good enjoy

The only thing I would point out is the sheet metal trigger guards from CSS like to bend over time. I had one that I even ended up tempering, it lasted a while longer but it bent again, leading to the grip becoming loose. The billet ones are much better even if they look a little on the beefy side, it will never bend..
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top