Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/6/2016 10:51:17 PM EDT
Well, after studying one heck of a lot of posts on ARF.com amongst other sites, I bought a WASR today from my local gun store/range.  Seems to be a good copy of one.  Sights look to be pretty straight, mags lock in snug enough, rivets are perfect, etc. and the serial number makes it a 2015 production rifle.  Took it home and gave it a good cleaning.  Found metal filings in the barrel when swabbing it with a few patches (saw them before swabbing it when I took a gander down the pipe).  Guess that is due to being a former Soviet block rifle .  Found some other metal filings in the receiver.

Gave it s few good squirts of Slip 2000 degreaser and cleaned everything out.  Greased the bolt, rails etc. and put it all back together and will go back to the range and put some rounds through it tomorrow.  Definitely a different design philosophy than an AR.  I can now see how this is a gun for poorly trained conscripts, kids, etc. throughout the world.  Easy to clean, take apart, understand.  Can't wait to shoot it!

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to your new addiction

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome! Welcome brother to the dark side.... Amazing lady you got....

You going to keep her traditional or are you going to add rails and other forms of new school accessories?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks!  I'm probably going to keep it as is for now until I become proficient enough to justify making changes (kind of like my almost stock AR).  Next thing to do is order up 1K rounds to begin feeding it.  

Forgot to say it did come with two Magpul mags and a small, scraped up cleaning kit in the box to attach to the cleaning rod.  Trigger really is pretty good too!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep one of the best things about the ak it is totally self contained slap the Cleaning kit in the stock. Lube the action feed the beast..... Wasrs are a great gun you will be super happy.. Keep a eye on aimsurplus.com an pick up some mags when they come back in stock I think they were $9.99 a mag last time from Poland if I remember correctly.... Bend the safety out a little for easy of manipulation and enjoy. My last wasr was just over 1.5 Moa with wolf which is crazy super crazy..... They are fantastic... Something about a ak just makes you feel like a bad ass... Post pics if you can of your first range day! Super pumped for you..... Just reminds me of my first ak.... Ran 1000 rounds down the tube of a wasr in less then 10 min for $65.00 haha...Grips smoking .... Could hardly hold the handguard... Changed my life.....haha...
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice.

I personally like the factory furniture alright aside from the grip.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a different one. US Palm is my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice Wasr OP.  I think you will like it
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Guess that is due to being a former Soviet block rifle.
View Quote

Not sure if you're kidding, but no, these are new production rifles.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#8]
It has just begun.......Sully
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#9]
WASR = LIFE

It gets a double thumbs up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations.. My old WASR is still one of my favorites.

The only thing I notice off the bat is that the gas tube stamping looks a little weird.. Could just be the camera though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice Job !

I own a few myself and with exception of getting one with a bent receiver last year (which was eventually made good on with a replacement) they are one of my favorites.

Hey , not to highjack your post,, but concerning the mention of a "different grip"..

Does anyone know a source for a U.S. made grip that matches the current wood on the Wasr's coming in right now ?
as i too like the wood , and really wish the stock was cut for cleaning kit had trapdoor buttplate etc etc, but l would love a grip that matches the rest of the wood and was a bit more comfortable while still maintaining the traditional lines of an AK grip :)

Anyways they are the best bang for the buck in AK's currently, and yours looks as good as any ive seen or have !

Maybe i will start another thread concerning minor cosmetic mods for these since there are so many of us that love them and have them..

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember my first AK They just put a smile on your face...Enjoy
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, took it to the newly built indoor range near me this afternoon.  Only had one 20 round box of Fiocchi 7.62 ammo (they only allow non-metallic bullets for use with their traps).  I had the rear sight adjusted in its lowest position.  The first few shots were to point of aim!  No adjustment necessary for 20-25 yards.  After all 20 rounds were expended, I had a fist sized group at 20 yds. (it's a 25 yd. range).  Certainly as accurate as I can shoot offhand.

Observations.  Recoil is similar to my BCM AR15.  Very little recoil or muzzle rise.  Easy to keep on target.  I was shocked how nice the trigger was!  It is actually nicer than the mil-spec trigger on my BCM.  Wasn't expecting that from a Tapco trigger group (I assume it's Tapco from threads I've read).  Time to order that case of ammo, and probably a new retainer plate to replace the paper clip retainer.!  

Super happy with the purchase.  $600+ dollars well spent.  And now I have a Kalashnikov!  
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Good choice for your first AK OP. I like the WASR's.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome - shoot the hell out of it..  My first was a WASR too ..  Never had a failure of any kind with it..

The mighty WASR wins again :)

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats OP.

Ammo and mags. Shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#17]
How much did you pay ?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I paid just under $700 locally with two p-mags.   I'm aware I could have picked one up for less from one of the online dealers, but being an AK I was ok with paying a little more and being able to kick the tires so to speak checking for sight cant, mag. wobble, etc.   No regrets.

p.s. 1,080 rounds of 7.62x39 should arrive Friday, just in time for the weekend!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, took it to the newly built indoor range near me this afternoon.  Only had one 20 round box of Fiocchi 7.69 ammo (they only allow non-metallic bullets for use with their traps).  I had the rear sight adjusted in its lowest position.  The first few shots were to point of aim!  No adjustment necessary for 20-25 yards.  After all 20 rounds were expended, I had a fist sized group at 20 yds. (it's a 25 yd. range).  Certainly as accurate as I can shoot offhand.

Observations.  Recoil is similar to my BCM AR15.  Very little recoil or muzzle rise.  Easy to keep on target.  I was shocked how nice the trigger was!  It is actually nicer than the mil-spec trigger on my BCM.  Wasn't expecting that from a Tapco trigger group (I assume it's Tapco from threads I've read).  Time to order that case of ammo, and probably a new retainer plate to replace the paper clip retainer.!  

Super happy with the purchase.  $600+ dollars well spent.  And now I have a Kalashnikov!  
View Quote

Given that it's 2015 production, it probably has a Century RAK trigger. Everyone seems to like the RAK as much if not better than the Tapco G2.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The trigger mechanism has the two hook trigger - any idea if that a Tapco or RAK trigger?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Does it have a "C" stamped on the side of the trigger, or does it have "G2"?

Former is RAK, latter is Tapco.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, received my 1,080 rounds of Red Army Standard copper jacketed ammo Saturday.  Went to the range today and put some more rounds downrange.  Have about 60 rounds through it, all feeding flawlessly.  What a fun gun!  Happy with the purchase!  Still really happy with the trigger too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#23]
The trigger has a "C" on the side of it.  Guess it is the RAK trigger group, a really nice one!
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, received my 1,080 rounds of Red Army Standard copper jacketed ammo Saturday.  Went to the range today and put some more rounds downrange.  Have about 60 rounds through it, all feeding flawlessly.  What a fun gun!  Happy with the purchase!  Still really happy with the trigger too.
View Quote

You sure have restraint!  I don't think I've  ever brought one of my AK's to a range and shot less than 200 rounds even when having other rifles to blast.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow those commercially make guns sure are purdy.
I've made most of mine.
Not so purdy !!
Have fun
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Only shot around 40 rounds last week as I also had with me and shot my BCM AR, my G19, Ruger 22/45 and Ruger Superblackhawk with some .44 Spcl reloads.  Got to give all of them a little love!

Next I need to get a Krebs retainer plate and some steel mags.  Magpul's just don't look very AK!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Only shot around 40 rounds last week as I also had with me and shot my BCM AR, my G19, Ruger 22/45 and Ruger Superblackhawk with some .44 Spcl reloads.  Got to give all of them a little love!

Next I need to get a Krebs retainer plate and some steel mags.  Magpul's just don't look very AK!
View Quote

Did someone say Krebs? That my friend is what I saved for... Check one out if you get a chance!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top