Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2015 9:55:20 PM EDT
Edit: Now an SLR105 rather than a DDI.

I currently have an Arsenal SLR107FR that I kind of have an Afghan era thing going on.

Either way the 74 will have the classic look, the dilemma is should I get the 104 and transfer the triangle stock, handguards, sling, etc. from the 107 to the 104 and do a modern look on the 107,

or

Should I get the DDI and have the classic treatment on both?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would opt for a Bulgarian made AK over a US built AK any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would opt for a Bulgarian made AK over a US built AK any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
View Quote

Yes, this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have the option to buy a lightly used SLR105, any options there?

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Times three. I doubt I'll ever own an American made AK, at least while there are still Saiga's, parts kits and Arsenals available

Quoted:

Depends on the price difference since it's a used rifle, and what the options on the SLR105 are. Some of them were ban compliant with a neutered front site, some of them didn't have side rails for optics and none of them were folders. At the time they were the best early AK74 pattern rifle you can get, but the 104's have the hot features that we all wanted back then on the 105's

Z
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Times three. I doubt I'll ever own an American made AK, at least while there are still Saiga's, parts kits and Arsenals available

Depends on the price difference since it's a used rifle, and what the options on the SLR105 are. Some of them were ban compliant with a neutered front site, some of them didn't have side rails for optics and none of them were folders. At the time they were the best early AK74 pattern rifle you can get, but the 104's have the hot features that we all wanted back then on the 105's

Z
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Z

I don't want to post a price because I'm sure this will get locked but it's about $100 cheaper than the new 104FR.

It looks to be well taken care of and has the side rail and bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are biased towards the full stock, I would try to haggle the 105 down a little more. If he doesn't budge, go with the new 104.

For $100 more, I'd be going with the new gun personally.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If the 104 is as nice as my 107 then id say 104.  I dont see why it wouldnt either
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are biased towards the full stock, I would try to haggle the 105 down a little more. If he doesn't budge, go with the new 104.

For $100 more, I'd be going with the new gun personally.

View Quote

I think I'll do that, I posted in the appraisal thread and was told it was a bit high also.

He's offering some mags, I may see if I can work something out with those.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
How is this a dilemma?

ddi is, by accounts, a decent American maker.

That, by definition, does not rival a Bulgarian.  I would buy a ddi 5.45 if, as was mentioned, no bulgys, sgls, parts kits or saigas were available.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How is this a dilemma?

ddi is, by accounts, a decent American maker.

That, by definition, does not rival a Bulgarian.  I would buy a ddi 5.45 if, as was mentioned, no bulgys, sgls, parts kits or saigas were available.
View Quote

I probably should change the title, it's now a used SLR105 or a new SLR104.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go the 105 for the classic look and because they are getting hard to find and a bit rare.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Made an offer on the 105, he countered. Not quite where I'd like it to be yet but getting close.

Trying to decide if I'm willing to do that deal.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Made an offer on the 105, he countered. Not quite where I'd like it to be yet but getting close.

Trying to decide if I'm willing to do that deal.
View Quote

104 new any day of the week.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both but I gotta admit, I'm more fond of the 105.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Farmer-Ted/media/IMG_3010_zpssqtecpdq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/IMG_3010_zpssqtecpdq.jpg</a>
View Quote

I thought the 105 didn't have the accessory lug?

ETA: looks like this is a ban rifle either the FSB swapped out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Farmer-Ted/media/IMG_3010_zpssqtecpdq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/Farmer-Ted/IMG_3010_zpssqtecpdq.jpg</a>

As far as I've been able to tell all of the 105's were imported in ban configuration - non threaded FSB and the lugs ground off the accessory lug on the gas block.  I believe Arsenal Las Vegas changed out the front sight base on some of them but did not change out the gas block.  This one did start as a ban rifle, I swapped out the front sight base.  Not too worried about not having the accessory lug.

Not the best picture.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

As far as I've been able to tell all of the 105's were imported in ban configuration - non threaded FSB and the lugs ground off the accessory lug on the gas block.  I believe Arsenal Las Vegas changed out the front sight base on some of them but did not change out the gas block.  This one did start as a ban rifle, I swapped out the front sight base.  Not too worried about not having the accessory lug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:54:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Made a deal on the 105, a bit more than I wanted to pay but i don't think it was too terrible.

He gave me an option on furniture so I took plum, I also got a plum mag out of the deal.

I figure it was probably $50-$75 too much but oh well. I wanted a fixed stock Arsenal and options are limited.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:21:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Made a deal on the 105, a bit more than I wanted to pay but i don't think it was too terrible.

He gave me an option on furniture so I took plum, I also got a plum mag out of the deal.

I figure it was probably $50-$75 too much but oh well. I wanted a fixed stock Arsenal and options are limited.
View Quote

Ok, where are the pics?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ok, where are the pics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, where are the pics?

Most he sent were close ups of different areas.

Here's one of only two full pics he sent.

" />

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:36:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice!  Looks like they removed the entire accessory lug, not just grinding down the sides.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:52:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice!  Looks like they removed the entire accessory lug, not just grinding down the sides.
View Quote

It kind of bothers me, but seeing as I'll likely never own a grenade launcher, I can tolerate it I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It kind of bothers me, but seeing as I'll likely never own a grenade launcher, I can tolerate it I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy enough to replace the gas block if you wanted to.  But put a cleaning rod on there and you'll probably not notice.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Easy enough to replace the gas block if you wanted to.  But put a cleaning rod on there and you'll probably not notice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll probably leave it as is.

The funny thing is that I wanted a fixed stock so I could use laminate furniture but I've fallen in love with the plum.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I love slr105s too. I have 3. 2 of which are still unfired.  I've had them for 10 years now.  Had the stocks done by AKUSA.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top