Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/29/2015 2:21:06 AM EDT
Anybody have one? I've read a few reviews in the past. PSA has the Fury II on sale for $399 and I'm thinking what the hell, I may just buy one and see what's up.

It has a non standard rear trunnion with no tang, but it has the standard rear trunnion rivet pattern. I would probably replace it with a spare AK-74 trunnion that I have on hand, and throw on a standard Warsaw stock. The rest is pretty straight forward to do a Saiga-style conversion to standard AK config from every review I've looked at - add a PG nut, move the FCG and trigger guard forward, etc.

If I do buy one, it would be my only shotgun. I really have no use for one otherwise, but I should probably have one just because. A Pardner Pump would probably suit my occasional shotgun needs just fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anybody have one? I've read a few reviews in the past. PSA has the Fury II on sale for $399 and I'm thinking what the hell, I may just buy one and see what's up.

It has a non standard rear trunnion with no tang, but it has the standard rear trunnion rivet pattern. I would probably replace it with a spare AK-74 trunnion that I have on hand, and throw on a standard Warsaw stock. The rest is pretty straight forward to do a Saiga-style conversion to standard AK config from every review I've looked at - add a PG nut, move the FCG and trigger guard forward, etc.

If I do buy one, it would be my only shotgun. I really have no use for one otherwise, but I should probably have one just because. A Pardner Pump would probably suit my occasional shotgun needs just fine.
View Quote

Would this video help answer your question?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm interested in this as I love the saiga and veper shotguns but not the prices.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
There are some issues with the action that should be addressed prior to using stronger loads. I had one broken and locked up in about an hour at the range. It ran great with weak loads, but a few mags of 3-3/4 dram Buck did it in at the end of the session. 5 minutes on the bench and I figured out where and why they went wrong with the action and exactly what to do about it. There is some potential with the Cat, but I am confident they will not last to see the round counts that a Russian shotgun will handle. Worth fiddling around with though if it can be had at the $400 mark.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you elaborate on the lockup you had?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Imagine having the bolt locked back and what would happen if you struck it with a 5 lb sledge forcing it further back. That's what it was like. It took me longer to get it apart than to figure out why it did it. In Zhaijang's effort to not directly copy the action of the V12 and S12.... they fucked up. Anyone who truly understands the Kalashnikov based shotgun platform can figure out why it took a shit by measuring a few things and observing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up one when they were $399 shipped.  Mine didn't like the low brass field loads at first.  Buckshot runs great.

I have about 500 rounds total in mine.  1/2 field loads and 1/2 Buckshot.  No problems at all.

I did pick up a couple 10 round mags when J&G had them in stock. Look neat but I like the 5 round size better. Wish they had done a 7 or 8 round magazine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked up one when they were $399 shipped.  Mine didn't like the low brass field loads at first.  Buckshot runs great.

I have about 500 rounds total in mine.  1/2 field loads and 1/2 Buckshot.  No problems at all.

I did pick up a couple 10 round mags when J&G had them in stock. Look neat but I like the 5 round size better. Wish they had done a 7 or 8 round magazine.
View Quote

What buck loads were you using?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Imagine having the bolt locked back and what would happen if you struck it with a 5 lb sledge forcing it further back. That's what it was like. It took me longer to get it apart than to figure out why it did it. In Zhaijang's effort to not directly copy the action of the V12 and S12.... they fucked up. Anyone who truly understands the Kalashnikov based shotgun platform can figure out why it took a shit by measuring a few things and observing.
View Quote

Listen to what he says. .  He knows Klash shotguns!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one.   The big reservation I'd have about getting one is you really have to find the load/gas port setting your gun likes.    After that it's not a bad gun for the money...

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

do go on....

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one.   The big reservation I'd have about getting one is you really have to find the load/gas port setting your gun likes.    After that it's not a bad gun for the money...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rXo8z-4GiY

Yeah I saw your review, and your experience seems to be pretty much in line with what I've read/seen other places.  Looks like it worked pretty well in the video, and glad to see that the stock trigger is not that bad, though I would want to convert it ultimately.

I wouldn't really expect any of the AK shotguns to run 100% on every load on the shelves. I don't do much shotgun shooting, just want one as an HD option and for grouse/turkey duty at hunting camp, etc. Sure a pump shotgun might be better, but if I'm only going to have one it may as well be an AK.

One thing I noticed in your video is that the stock dust cover rail looks secured by several fasteners - are these rivets or screws? I'm curious if the rail could be easily removed/replaced, etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remington
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Remington
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remington

Express? 3"?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Express? 3"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remington

Express? 3"?

2 3/4
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Is it something one of the drop in buffers might help with?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not a fan of buffers, but it could actually help keep things from turning into a shit samdwich in the case of the Catamount Fury.

I hope to find time soon to do a noteworthy Cat build. If there are other limitations in the Cat I will find them.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top