User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spatten] [#1]
Greetings Ron,

I have a Tiger SVD that has been fired very little and is safe Czar status.  I really love the rifle, and have been considering putting a lot more rounds through it.  I saw a few pages back that you put two tigers on the line in 2015.  Just wondering how those have worked out.  I know you did wear out the NDM-86 you were previously using.

Given the collectibility of the Tiger, and the scarce supply of parts I think all would understand my hesitation.  However, if there is one thing I have learned from all of the Battlefield posts, it is that military quality firearms can shoot an extraordinary amount of ammo.

Thanks,

Shawn
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

I was just watching a P&S video with Jim Fuller and one of his guys talking about what does and doesn't work in AKs.

They said 5.56x45 NATO in the AK caused a lot of early catastrophic failures across multiple guns, especially the short AKs.  The AK was never meant to handle 55-62ksi  chamber pressure weapons with a small bore volume and high port pressures.
View Quote

5.45x39 = 55k
7.62x54 = 58k
7.62x51 = 60k
30-06 (molot)  = 60k

More of Fuller's nonsense, he should stick to something he's qualified for, like "de-horning" (using sandpaper).
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

5.45x39 = 55k
7.62x54 = 58k
7.62x51 = 60k
30-06 (molot)  = 60k

More of Fuller's nonsense, he should stick to something he's qualified for, like "de-horning" (using sandpaper).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

I was just watching a P&S video with Jim Fuller and one of his guys talking about what does and doesn't work in AKs.

They said 5.56x45 NATO in the AK caused a lot of early catastrophic failures across multiple guns, especially the short AKs.  The AK was never meant to handle 55-62ksi  chamber pressure weapons with a small bore volume and high port pressures.

5.45x39 = 55k
7.62x54 = 58k
7.62x51 = 60k
30-06 (molot)  = 60k

5.56 military loads can push 60k or higher depending on the load. If 5.56 ammo is run through .223 chamber the pressure can spike well over 60k.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:06:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#4]

5.45x39 = 55k
7.62x54 = 58k
7.62x51 = 60k
30-06 (molot)  = 60k

View Quote
Why do you think some 223 AKs have the more robust RPK/vepr style front trunion?  This is how the Yugoslavians were able to handle increased chamber pressure without blowing out the headspace at relatively low round counts.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

The yugos put the RPK trunion on everything.
View Quote
Wat?

Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Any word on those PSA AK's?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Why do you think some 223 AKs have the more robust RPK/vepr style front trunion?  This is how the Yugoslavians were able to handle increased chamber pressure without blowing out the headspace at relatively low round counts.  
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/92703.jpg
Wrong
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
I know all about that, it's why I own an M85NP, that's not all they did to accommodate the 5.56 in that pistol, chrome-lined bore and chamber on a CHF barrel too and 1.5mm receiver. It's the most overbuilt pistol i've ever seen.

But it's pure overkill.

Anybody really think something like a chicom type 84 is somehow weak and won't hold up to a lot of 5.56 down the pipe?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Ron, I hear ya got a couple of PSA AK's there now, love to get updates on that when you have time and have some rounds downrange. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

We have been slammed and just got busier with one of the indoor ranges closing down last week. WASR's still lead the pack when it comes to AK's on our range.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Are any of your WASR's running single stack bolts or do you guys change them out to double stack bolts before putting them on your line ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Update on page 11?

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Ron, I hear ya got a couple of PSA AK's there now, love to get updates on that when you have time and have some rounds downrange. Thanks!
View Quote
We did receive two of the PSA Gen 3 rifles last week. I will update Palmetto State on their performance on a regular basis and let them make updates. They are not paying us in any way for this "testing" as I would really like to have a source of quality-made AK's made here in the States.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#16]

We did receive two of the PSA Gen 3 rifles last week. I will update Palmetto State on their performance on a regular basis and let them make updates. They are not paying us in any way for this "testing" as I would really like to have a source of quality-made AK's made here in the States.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Great, please keep us updated as well. I got one recently myself and am curious how it holds up under heavy usage
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RCRTR:
Update on page 11?

AIRBORNE!!!!!
View Quote
Is there a glitch in the matrix? There's only 9 pages on here, and this is 9.

Weird.

Oh and HD, I really want to see the new PSA AKs do well too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By pavlovwolf:

Weird.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pavlovwolf:
Originally Posted By RCRTR:
Update on page 11?

AIRBORNE!!!!!

Weird.

It's from a few years ago when they did a site update and briefly changed the posts per page.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:47:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#20]
Off topic post removed. dryflash3
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 4:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#21]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Outstanding, thanks Ron, look forward to updates! I guess it goes without saying that the rest of us would also like a source of quality US-made AK's,
especially looking forward to PSA's model with an FN CHF barrel.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Any update? :)
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, after reading this thread I think my RPK will be getting a new recoil spring and a buffer just to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Strela:
Well, after reading this thread I think my RPK will be getting a new recoil spring and a buffer just to be on the safe side.
View Quote
Ditto on the springs, cheap and sure can't hurt, bought some Thisbugger +5%'ers for all of the AKM's, great springs!

No way i'm putting a buffer in though. And i'll never need to go that far I think, semi-auto rifles that get shot a few times a year should be fine without 'em I reckon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Ditto on the springs, cheap and sure can't hurt, bought some Thisbugger +5%'ers for all of the AKM's, great springs!

No way i'm putting a buffer in though.
And i'll never need to go that far I think, semi-auto rifles that get shot a few times a year should be fine without 'em I reckon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Strela:

No way i'm putting a buffer in though.
And i'll never need to go that far I think, semi-auto rifles that get shot a few times a year should be fine without 'em I reckon.
Understand, but my RPK is a transferable MG so I'm gonna err on the side of caution. My son would be pissed if I broke it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#26]
@HendersonDefense

This may have been asked earlier in this massive thread, so if it has I apologize, but were your WASR's built with new production parts or demilled military parts (eg. 10/63's)? If it's both, have you noticed a difference between the two?

TIA.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JaketheSnake] [#27]
View All Quotes

5.45x39 = 55k
7.62x54 = 58k
7.62x51 = 60k
30-06 (molot)  = 60k

Probably just utilizing available parts in inventory.
Zastavas were imported with rpk style recievers in 762 as well. O-pap i think?

The bulgarian 556 stamped AKs dont seem to need any additional reinforcements to accommodate the caliber, any more so than 762 or 545.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#28]
My son and I just went and shot at Battlefield Las Vegas. Don’t think I’ve blown through that much cash that fast before...worth every penny. Incredibly friendly staff, I can’t believe how much knowledge they have about the array of firearms on site.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Any guess on round count of the NDM 7.62x51 before headspace grew?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:18:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlyingMailman] [#30]
So the Bulgarian AK milled receivers have yet to fail, are these Arsenal SAM7’s (or similar models on the same receiver)? I’ve seen some say that stamped lasts longer than milled because milled receivers tend to crack where the barrel is pinned in (much like it does to the trunnion of a stamped AK) but the data you provide debunks that.

@HendersonDefense
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#31]
@HendersonDefense

I'd be curious to see how well a KNS Adjustable gas piston and KNS Anti-Rotation FCG pins hold up to constant abuse; I wonder if you'd see any egging of the FCG pin holes, or if the piston would help decrease wear on the gun over time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MAC21500:
@HendersonDefense
KNS Anti-Rotation FCG pins
View Quote
I don't understand why these are even made or why anyone would ever use one. AK pins are able to rotate by design, they're supposed to be that way.

And so are AR pins, the KNS pins do look very cool on an AR i'll grant you that, but rotating pins are a redundancy to guarantee the triggerset works even if the trigger and/or hammer are locked up on the pin due to rust or whatever, you are taking away an important feature, not adding one, this is NOT an upgrade at all but in fact a downgrade.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#33]

I don't understand why these are even made or why anyone would ever use one. AK pins are able to rotate by design, they're supposed to be that way.

And so are AR pins, the KNS pins do look very cool on an AR i'll grant you that, but rotating pins are a redundancy to guarantee the triggerset works even if the trigger and/or hammer are locked up on the pin due to rust or whatever, you are taking away an important feature, not adding one, this is NOT an upgrade at all but in fact a downgrade.
View Quote
I agree, all the more reason to see what happens, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MAC21500:

I agree, all the more reason to see what happens, IMHO.
View Quote
Probably nothing, lol. Even at BFLV these guns aren't going to get dropped or banged around too much, and they'll be constantly inspected. And being a civilian myself I can guarantee that unless the SHTF I probably will never have to worry about one of my pins rust-locking to a trigger.

I actually snagged a pair of anti-walk AK pins years ago from some guy off EBay, they weren't anti-rotation, just anti-walk with a threaded end on the safety side that takes a small screw, so ostensibly you didn't even need to use a sheperds hook/retaining plate on it. I never did put them in anything because their OD is at minimum dimensions so they are a little loosey-goosey when installed (plus the end piece doesn't screw in enough to lock the side-to-side play out, but that's probably best for this design anyway). But I do still think this idea has some merit if done right, but in the end it's still a solution looking for a problem like the KNS pins IMO.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sporter:
Any guess on round count of the NDM 7.62x51 before headspace grew?
View Quote
I wish we had some way to track that at the time but I have zero clue on the round count.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:59:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank] [#36]
@HendersonDefense

Thanks so much for this thread! Wanted to know, how are the Krinkov SLR-104URs holding up? How long do barrels, receivers, and other parts last on these and how does this compare to full-length rifles?

Any updates on the mapp gas spot heat treat home builds btw?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#37]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
@HendersonDefense

I'm thinking about getting my first AK from Palmetto State.  Anything in particular that you like or dislike about them so far?  Good bang for the buck?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 4:16:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#38]
Originally Posted By FlyingMailman:
So the Bulgarian AK milled receivers have yet to fail, are these Arsenal SAM7’s (or similar models on the same receiver)? I’ve seen some say that stamped lasts longer than milled because milled receivers tend to crack where the barrel is pinned in (much like it does to the trunnion of a stamped AK) but the data you provide debunks that.

@HendersonDefense
View Quote
I saw somewhere where people talked about some Polytech milled receivers having poor heat treatment, so my guess is it stemmed from there?  Arsenal receivers are very well made, and extremely strong.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#39]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Any update?
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#40]
We here at Fég Hungary finds this surprising and interesting.

The only guns we've seen failed pretty fast was our .223 NGM series.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 2:17:16 AM EDT
[#41]
@wormraper

Here's where I was hoping to get an update from @HendersonDefense about the Palmetto State AKs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:
@wormraper

Here's where I was hoping to get an update from @HendersonDefense about the Palmetto State AKs.
View Quote
gracias.... I'm kind of hoping to hear from Ron about them too, as several of us are curious how they're holding up
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By wormraper:
gracias.... I'm kind of hoping to hear from Ron about them too, as several of us are curious how they're holding up
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wormraper:
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:
@wormraper

I believe the arrangement between Henderson Defense and PSA called for Henderson to report back to PSA who would then release any results at their own discretion.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By America-first:

I believe the arrangement between Henderson Defense and PSA called for Henderson to report back to PSA who would then release any results at their own discretion.
View Quote
Oh, that's not a bad idea (assuming PSA gave them the guns).  Not as helpful to us, that's for sure, but much more beneficial to both of those businesses.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#45]
PSA’s complete radio silence is deafening.  Perhaps someone who’s been to Battlefield can tell us whether they’ve had an opportunity to use one of the PSA AKs.  Just knowing they are still on the line would be encouraging.  PSA will have a tough time keeping up with demand next year if;

1.  They get good reports from Vegas, and

2.  They can build them fast enough to pay for their development
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 3:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wormraper] [#46]
Originally Posted By America-first:

View Quote
well, we know they're on the line... as of April they were going along good according to Ron

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/High-round-count-AR-M4-s-over-100-000-rounds-and-how-they-have-handled-on-our-range/118-677135/?page=35#i7885628
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:38:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Hi folks,

I apologize for the lack of following up on this thread. I will provide details of the PSAK’s and other updates on factory parts from Europe as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Sweet, look forward to it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Here's something that is about par for the course. This WASR-10 lasted three weeks shy of a full year on the range. The trunion will suffer a catastrophic crack on the right side and about 50% of the time it will also suffer a crack on the left side where the carrier engages it. The receiver rarely suffers a stress crack on the right from the bulge but strangely experiences a stress crack on the left side where there isn't a bulge in the receiver.

V/R
Ron

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Glad to see you back Ron, looking forward to the PSA updates.
Page / 12
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top