User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
Here's something that is about par for the course. This WASR-10 lasted three weeks shy of a full year on the range. The trunion will suffer a catastrophic crack on the right side and about 50% of the time it will also suffer a crack on the left side where the carrier engages it. The receiver rarely suffers a stress crack on the right from the bulge but strangely experiences a stress crack on the left side where there isn't a bulge in the receiver.

V/R
Ron

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125089/Blown_Trunion_1_jpg-1141346.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125089/Blown_Trunion_2_jpg-1141347.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125089/Blown_Trunion_3_jpg-1141348.JPG
View Quote
Hmmmm, a 107A1 bolt?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's something that is about par for the course. This WASR-10 lasted three weeks shy of a full year on the range. The trunion will suffer a catastrophic crack on the right side and about 50% of the time it will also suffer a crack on the left side where the carrier engages it. The receiver rarely suffers a stress crack on the right from the bulge but strangely experiences a stress crack on the left side where there isn't a bulge in the receiver.

V/R
Ron

View Quote
What's an estimated round count on a failure like that?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:35:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: walkinginadangerzone] [#3]

V/R
Ron

View Quote
Is that the most common catastrophic failure on an AK? Edit: just went through the entire thread and it seems like that's what kills the AKs.

That said, now for a question I didn't see. Ron, how do the bulgy 7.62 barrels out of the SLR107s hold up to key holing compared to the WASRs?

Also, have you put any of the Zastava AKs currently being imported by the company and not by century back in the line?

Also, have you put the new century imported RPK from Romania in the line as well?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

Is that the most common catastrophic failure on an AK? Edit: just went through the entire thread and it seems like that's what kills the AKs.

That said, now for a question I didn't see. Ron, how do the bulgy 7.62 barrels out of the SLR107s hold up to key holing compared to the WASRs?

Also, have you put any of the Zastava AKs currently being imported by the company and not by century back in the line?

Also, have you put the new century imported RPK from Romania in the line as well?
View Quote
The Bulgy barrels hold up about the same as the WASR's.

We haven't put any Zastavas back on the line but I did plan on putting a few back on the line because of the weight.

We are still using the older (8+ years ago) Romanian AES-10B RPK's and none so far have key-holed.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Henny:
Hmmmm, a 107A1 bolt?
View Quote
Yes, we had to send two back into Barrett for replacement.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
So about that PSAK update...?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GerryOwen:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Asking the tough questions.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Por favor!
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#10]
any luck on the klash usa kr9? Just picked one up and so far I love it I was just curious how they hold up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
@HendersonDefense

Really loving the updates! If you have any updates on how the Krinkov SLR-104URs holding up I'd still really love to know how long the barrels, receivers, and other parts last on these and how does this compare to full-length AK74 rifles. Keep hearing that these are far more wear-intensive on the parts.

Thanks again Ron! Love these threads of yours.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
I apologize for the delay in responding to the PSAK testing.

I can't give you a straight answer because of parts swapping by the staff. We have six full-time armorers and only four of them were working the day we put them on the line. The others had just finished their 4-day work week. I don't know at what time in the testing did my guys start swapping parts. I figured staff would relay the information the other armorers but it was my fault for not making it clear. On top of that, those armorers didn't keep the weapons assigned to individual RSO's for proper round count. They were all over the 8-10,000 round mark before one of the armorers brought it to my attention. I told the staff to keep the weapons secured until I spoke to PSA staff and I just never got a hold of them.

PSA did try reaching out to me quite a times but at one of the worst possible time of my life. They were trying to reach out to me when my best friend who owned New Frontier Armory was diagnosed with stage four cancer. David, my wife and I started Battlefield Vegas and I just couldn't believe what was happening to us. We only got to spend exactly three months from the day I told him he had a dangerous growth in his arm pit until the time we sat alongside his wife, parents and his sister to hold his hand and watch him pass. I didn't answer very many emails up until that point and let a lot of them just sit unanswered while trying to comprehend what just happened and why it happened so fast. David M Famiglietti left behind a beautiful wife and two amazing kids and those were only things that my family focused on for quite some time.

Fast forward to last week.. I put one of my staff in charge of the PSA's to include their 9mm version. He will be in comms with PSA throughout the process and provide them round count and anything we encounter along the way.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#14]
That sucks. Sorry to hear that...
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I always love checking up on this thread. So much solid info. I'm shocked the WASR's are holding up so well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#17]

I apologize for the delay in responding to the PSAK testing.

I can't give you a straight answer because of parts swapping by the staff. We have six full-time armorers and only four of them were working the day we put them on the line. The others had just finished their 4-day work week. I don't know at what time in the testing did my guys start swapping parts. I figured staff would relay the information the other armorers but it was my fault for not making it clear. On top of that, those armorers didn't keep the weapons assigned to individual RSO's for proper round count. They were all over the 8-10,000 round mark before one of the armorers brought it to my attention. I told the staff to keep the weapons secured until I spoke to PSA staff and I just never got a hold of them.

PSA did try reaching out to me quite a times but at one of the worst possible time of my life. They were trying to reach out to me when my best friend who owned New Frontier Armory was diagnosed with stage four cancer. David, my wife and I started Battlefield Vegas and I just couldn't believe what was happening to us. We only got to spend exactly three months from the day I told him he had a dangerous growth in his arm pit until the time we sat alongside his wife, parents and his sister to hold his hand and watch him pass. I didn't answer very many emails up until that point and let a lot of them just sit unanswered while trying to comprehend what just happened and why it happened so fast. David M Famiglietti left behind a beautiful wife and two amazing kids and those were only things that my family focused on for quite some time.

Fast forward to last week.. I put one of my staff in charge of the PSA's to include their 9mm version. He will be in comms with PSA throughout the process and provide them round count and anything we encounter along the way.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
My condolences Ron. You're a standup person. Business and money isn't everything and I'm glad to hear you put things aside to help a friend and his family.

We're happy to see you're back and I hope things are going better for you and David's family after such a loss.

As for the PSA AKs, is there any additional data to share regarding what was replaced and why?  Was it standard maintenance based on past experiences from other AKs or was it related to a failure? There are a lot of die hard AK fans looking forward to these tests, as a lot if us have high hopes for a quality American made AK that can compete with the WASR and other combloc guns at an affordable price.

Thank you for everything Ron, you're awesome.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I am sorry for the loss of your good friend.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for your loss Ron.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Cancer sucks!

Honor Dave by living the best you can. I'm sorry you lost your friend and partner.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sorry for your loss Ron.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry for your loss, Ron.

Was wondering if you guys use the Galil ACE and how that has held up on the range?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#23]
We haven’t put an Ace online. We are still using factory shorty full-auto’s which haven’t had any issues.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Ron,

Please convey our condolences to David and his family. I was shocked to learn of his passing. I remember listening to him in an interview on a podcast so long ago that I forget which one or who interviewed him. He sounded like a genuinely nice guy.

Thank you for all the great feedback you provide the shooting community.

-Ricky
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:09:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe this has already been answered, I read through the thread about a week ago but don't recall. What brand of 7.62x39 do you shoot? I'm asking because people say the commercial bi-metal jacketed ammo ruins barrels. I see where you said you have yet to shoot out a WASR barrel. Nice!

Second question, any SKSs on the line?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AASG:
Maybe this has already been answered, I read through the thread about a week ago but don't recall. What brand of 7.62x39 do you shoot? I'm asking because people say the commercial bi-metal jacketed ammo ruins barrels. I see where you said you have yet to shoot out a WASR barrel. Nice!
View Quote

Picture in the OP is a boatload of steel cases.  Aren't pretty much all steel cased ammo using bi-metal projectiles?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AASG:

Second question, any SKSs on the line?
View Quote

We use Wolf-branded ammo for all of our 7.62x39. It comes packaged differently and not always in the normal retail packaging.

As for SKS rifles, we use both Chinese and Yugos.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Ron, being numbered with the other PSA AK owners waiting to hear any info on their rifles, I would ask you which models you are putting through the paces?  AKV (I think you said the 9mm), GF3?  AKP?  the newer AKE?

And it can't be stated enough the enormity of gratitude I/we all have for your insight, details, and thoughts on so much that effects us.  Thank you for your time here.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Cool...Thanks...hope all of HD's threads are set to this!
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 2:28:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I just speed read this thread and didn’t see this answered, any cracking found with 1.5mm receivers?

I’m curious to know if that extra 0.5mm makes a difference.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#34]

V/R
Ron
~snip~
View Quote

Which model WASR 10 is this? WASR 10 new production or an older WASR 10? I know some WASR 10s are called WASR 10-63.
How many rounds did it go through? The expected 80~100 thousand?

I picked my WASR 10 up late last year/early this year. It has very pale wood. Curious if I have the same model as yours. Some guys were saying some WASR 10 are different than others. The 4774 operators union guy has had a similar reliability experience with WASR to what you've stated in the preceeding pages & posts in your M4 thread & pistol thread.

Also a couple pages back I noticed you mentioned a guy did a video and misquoted AK stock breaking. Was it the MR Guns & Gear channel? Some younger kid was representing your establishment. The statement was a certain brand of AK would have stocks that break to easily, that you simply replace the stocks as soon as you get the guns in.

I doubt I'll shoot near the amount you shoot through your guns in my lifetime through my rifle. The gun should last my whole life, if not most of it. I'll make $700 for a new WASR rifle.

Thanks for sharing this information! The AK may or may not be as reliable as shown in InRange's mud test, but at least I know if I keep it clean, it'll run a long time.
PS: I'm curious about your findings about the G36. I saw you had good reliability with FN guns & the HK 416 being as good as any other M4.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump for updates
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By hislittlecuzin:

Which model WASR 10 is this? WASR 10 new production or an older WASR 10? I know some WASR 10s are called WASR 10-63.

I picked my WASR 10 up late last year/early this year. It has very pale wood. Curious if I have the same model as yours. Some guys were saying some WASR 10 are different than others. The 4774 operators union guy has had a similar reliability experience with WASR to what you've stated in the preceeding pages & posts in your M4 thread & pistol thread.

Also a couple pages back I noticed you mentioned a guy did a video and misquoted AK stock breaking. Was it the MR Guns & Gear channel? Some younger kid was representing your establishment. The statement was a certain brand of AK would have stocks that break to easily, that you simply replace the stocks as soon as you get the guns in.

I doubt I'll shoot near the amount you shoot through your guns in my lifetime through my rifle. The gun should last my whole life, if not most of it. I'll make $700 for a new WASR rifle.

Thanks for sharing this information! The AK may or may not be as reliable as shown in InRange's mud test, but at least I know if I keep it clean, it'll run a long time.
PS: I'm curious about your findings about the G36. I saw you had good reliability with FN guns & the HK 416 being as good as any other M4.
View Quote

I'll have to go back and refresh my memory about the stocks breaking. I'm stuck at home battling the flu and the mind isn't quite as sharp. I don't believe we've experienced any differences between the WASR-10's and the WASR-10/63's. I know we are using the 10/63's right now and they are still as reliable as the older units.

As for the G36, biggest failure point on that is the bolt carrier. The welds will eventually break where the ambi charging handle is fixed. We've lost some bolts as well but AUG, SCAR and G36 bolts are definitely stronger units.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#38]
We haven’t put an Ace online. We are still using factory shorty full-auto’s which haven’t had any issues.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

13” SARs or 8” Micros?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

13” SARs or 8” Micros?
View Quote

We are using both and haven't had any issues. The only barrels we've had to replace were from the Century Golani's but I wouldn't take anything negative from that... just attrition from high round counts that all weapons experience here.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#40]

We are using both and haven't had any issues. The only barrels we've had to replace were from the Century Golani's but I wouldn't take anything negative from that... just attrition from high round counts that all weapons experience here.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Awesome!  Great to hear, I have a 699 Micro parts kit that will get built next year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
~snip~

For the last few years WASR's and the newer AES-10B's have been shipping with the inferior BASS wood furniture. Some mistake the wood for beech. Bass wood has slightly better durability than balsa wood, but not much. It's garbage.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By LIONHART:

For the last few years WASR's and the newer AES-10B's have been shipping with the inferior BASS wood furniture. Some mistake the wood for beech. Bass wood has slightly better durability than balsa wood, but not much. It's garbage.
View Quote

The wood furniture sets on the WASR's are the first things to go. They don't hold up on the range and within 2-3 weeks, they have so many dents and gouges from being soft that they make the weapon look "used and abused". My staff understand my mindset now but initially they didn't understand why the big deal about swapping it out. 95% of our customers have never shot a gun, let alone a machinegun. They are already intimidated and scared when walking in and having beat up and trashy furniture does not help one get over the fear, it makes them wonder if it's even safe to shoot just by the looks of it. We use Romy G furniture sets are the MUCH better.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Any further info on the psa's? How many rounds are they up to? Any further info on barrel longevity?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:52:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#44]
@HendersonDefense

Do you guys have any of the new ZPAP M70 Yugos on the line, with the thicker receivers and CL barrels?  Curious whether those stand up better than the old ones you had fail.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By farscrape:
Any further info on the psa's? How many rounds are they up to? Any further info on barrel longevity?
View Quote

I'll ask my armorers this week and get some numbers for you. We were in the middle of testing when Vegas closed down, officially, for three months and then it's slowly been getting back to normal. I'm not sure if they put it back in the line yet... just to keep things simple.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:
@HendersonDefense

Do you guys have any of the new ZPAP M70 Yugos on the line, with the thicker receivers and CL barrels?  Curious whether those stand up better than the old ones you had fail.
View Quote

Yes, we do have some of the new ZPAP Yugo's but I wasn't aware they had chrome lined barrels. So far so good with them as I haven't seen any set for demil.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Yes, we do have some of the new ZPAP Yugo's but I wasn't aware they had chrome lined barrels. So far so good with them as I haven't seen any set for demil.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

I'm also waiting to hear about your experience with the Yugo ZPAP pistols. I just got an M-85 version in 5.56 with the 1.5mm receiver and CHF and CL barrel. Also own an old Romy WASR-3 in 5.56.

Thank you OP to take the time out of a busy schedule to do these threads. It would take the average user 100 years to put the typical month's worth of Battlefield Vegas use through them and the AAR is invaluable!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:45:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Saw that you mentioned you were running Tortort receivers and just wondered how they seem to be fairing under pressure?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SanFranBus:
Saw that you mentioned you were running Tortort receivers and just wondered how they seem to be fairing under pressure?
View Quote

We've been running 5-6 of the Tortort milled receivers and finally had to pull one from the line. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with the receiver itself but an over-gas issue inherent to all AK's.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#50]
So the locking lugs on the receiver still looked fine?

(I know you probably hate this question but at what appointment round count?)

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find anything online about how a TorTort receiver held up to a high round count. Probably because I'm bad with the internet...
Page / 12
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top