User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 5/15/2015 11:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense]
I've read a couple threads about "abusing" AK's and I haven't seen anything that's "real world" abuse. At our range, we treat each weapon the best we can but the sheer volume of rounds we put through our full-auto AK's (and all other weapons) unfortunately leaves them cracked, split, bulged and kaboomed. Each weapon is headspaced at every cleaning, documenting in it's own maintenance log the headspace and what or if any parts were replaced.

The one thing I can say about the AK's is that they hold up MUCH BETTER than the RPD's. I thought for sure that RPD's would last so much longer because of the milled receivers but the receivers only last about half the life (if that) of a Romanian WASR.

This is about 30 days (at most) of steel casing and approximately 80% of it is from AK usage. The other brass is from RPD's or PKM's.

V/R

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Holes:
You must be busy Ron. Started to miss reading your new inputs. I'm glad for one, the WASR is a good rifle for you. It's affordable and tough from your information. So I had to order one. Again, glad to hear from you. I hope business is going well.
View Quote
We have been slammed and just got busier with one of the indoor ranges closing down last week. WASR's still lead the pack when it comes to AK's on our range.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

We have been slammed and just got busier with one of the indoor ranges closing down last week. WASR's still lead the pack when it comes to AK's on our range.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
That's great to hear! Glad you're doing well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:50:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad I found this thread.  Any info about the RPK type rifles and how they hold up?  Better than regular ak?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tankdawg0057:
Glad I found this thread.  Any info about the RPK type rifles and how they hold up?  Better than regular ak?
View Quote
The RPK's don't get the same amount of use but we have the same 5-6 RPK's from when we opened almost five years ago. That being said, we've used them for upgrade "specials" and they do get some use. Not one issue with the RPK's to date. We use the Romanian heavy WASR and NOT the light version that Century sold years ago. There's also one that I built on a NoDak receiver years and years ago that doesn't have any sign of failure or fatigue.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]

I'll ask the staff but I'm pretty sure the Romanian WASR barrels have outlasted the Arsenal 5.45 "Krinkov" barrels. The armorers recently re-barreled four of the Krinks with the chrome-lined barrels offered by AK-Builder.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Looking forward to hearing the update. Any 5.45 full length barrels being used?
I've speculated that a 5.45x39 will have less barrel life than a 7.62x39 just due to the increased bullet velocity. But I wonder if the 5.45x39's receiver will last longer due to less harsh recoil.
Just curious as I've thought about picking up a transferable AK and having it converted to 5.45x39.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw you mentioned all your euro mags have held up well... does this apply to all calibers and all materials... Im guessing any military mag holds up fine.... do yall even change mag springs?
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the sort of information that's not available anywhere else.

Thanks, and I'll be visiting next time I'm in town.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Any updates on the AKBuilder flats and how they are holding up?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]

We use the Romanian heavy WASR and NOT the light version that Century sold years ago. There's also one that I built on a NoDak receiver years and years ago that doesn't have any sign of failure or fatigue.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
What is the difference between a "heavy WASR" and a "light WASR"? I always thought a WASR was a WASR; except the newest versions were supposed to have better fit and finish than the older ones.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:41:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#10]
Originally Posted By Henry1:
What is the difference between a "heavy WASR" and a "light WASR"? I always thought a WASR was a WASR; except the newest versions were supposed to have better fit and finish than the older ones.
View Quote
He's referring to the RPK they used to import, the AES-10 and AES-10B. They made a light one and a true RPK version.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Btt
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 1:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Machak] [#12]
Great thread, unique and very valuable information. Usually manufacturers are not very enthusiastic about high round count endurance tests. It is very expensive and takes a lot of manpower.

I am surprised US manufacturers are not lining up in front of BFLV to give their weapons for test fire.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Any update on the Century C39V2s?  Bolt wear, head space, carrier tail wear etc? Any failures and approximate round count?

Thank you for taking time in doing all of this.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
We've eliminated all of the non-military parts/mfg guns to keep things simple. The US-made stuff that we've used just won't handle the abuse like the Euro and Chinese weapons do. I may still purchase some of the PSA improved AK's but not until after the first of the year.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LongBeach:
Any updates on the AKBuilder flats and how they are holding up?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
View Quote
I will get status from the staff as to the condition of the "home" heat treat rifles as compared to the units we sent out for "proper" heat treating.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Love these threads!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#20]
At what round count interval do you replace the AK's recoil springs?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Ron-

Would you care to give us an update on your opinion of recoil buffers? What have you seen that makes you believe they are of any benefit?

Also, do you any 5.56 AKs and how have they been holding up? On par with 5.45 and 7.62?

Thank You
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MeanCarbine:
Ron-

Would you care to give us an update on your opinion of recoil buffers? What have you seen that makes you believe they are of any benefit?

Also, do you any 5.56 AKs and how have they been holding up? On par with 5.45 and 7.62?

Thank You
View Quote
I have no tangible "proof" that they work but if you could see how the buffers look after several weeks, you would have to conclude that they are helping reduced the violent recoil of the carrier. We don't lose nearly as many AK's as we used to since we made it policy that all AK's get buffers.

The 5.45's seem to hold up much longer than our 7.62 models.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeanCarbine] [#23]

I have no tangible "proof" that they work but if you could see how the buffers look after several weeks, you would have to conclude that they are helping reduced the violent recoil of the carrier. We don't lose nearly as many AK's as we used to since we made it policy that all AK's get buffers.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Any 5.56 AKs (i.e. WASR 3) in rotation?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MeanCarbine:

Any 5.56 AKs (i.e. WASR 3) in rotation?
View Quote
We only used the 5.56 AK's when we had a bad lot of 5.45. We used Arsenal 105 and Krinkov-style guns (I don't remember their model numbers) and we didn't have any issues. We stick with the 5.45 because customers who have NEVER touched a gun don't like the 5.56 because it's not what's on the video games.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#25]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Losing fewer in what way,...fewer receiver failures?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#26]
First time we've ever experienced this. A factory Bulgarian full-auto trigger cracked yesterday.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#27]
First time we've ever experienced this. A factory Bulgarian full-auto trigger cracked yesterday.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/b8u7ic8.jpg
View Quote

I thought I'd seen every AK failure possible till now...
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#28]

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/b8u7ic8.jpg
View Quote
Interesting
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow, never seen OR heard of that!  Thanks for letting us know.......
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Trigger slapped.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Tagged for sure, great info OP!  Thank you  
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:12:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt45] [#33]
Drug back from the Dead.

@HendersonDefense

Ron- Page 11? of 8?

Anything new this Summer?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Matt45:
Drug back from the Dead.

@HendersonDefense

Ron- Page 11? of 8?

View Quote
We pulled all the Draco's off the line. The front site base/gas block combo with the 90 degree port just collects to much carbon. We experienced six trunion failures with the Hungarian underfolders so the rest of them were pulled off the line. They all failed at about 50,000 round count and just to be safe, that's why pulled them.

We are going to start using some Tortort milled receivers with the parts we pulled from the Hungarian kits. I am hoping we get at least double the life out of the receiver with the milled receiver over a stamped receiver and trunion assembly.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Funny this thread just showed back up.

I was just looking for it this morning. Our post sample PAP developed the same cracks in the rails that were shown in the first few pages. It felt a lot better knowing that this happens! If I hadn't seen the pics from the Henderson guns, I be quite worried! Thank yall for the very informative thread!
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
This thread was "toggled" by me some time ago. Back around page 2 or 3 I think.

"toggled" is mod speak for "it won't go into the archives".

So set your bookmarks.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm hoping Ron will come back with some data on the PSAKs that Palmetto supposedly sent out of this latest batch constructed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:
I'm hoping Ron will come back with some data on the PSAKs that Palmetto supposedly sent out of this latest batch constructed.
View Quote
This x1000. I’m over 500 with one of mine and close to that on another but don’t have nearly the resources to test like Ron.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Henry1] [#40]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:
View Quote
I'd be interested in that data as well, since I recently purchased one of the new PSAKs a few weeks ago. The fit and finish is a 10 out of 10, and it shoots well, but the action is very stiff and wants to hang-up when the bolt carrier is pulled all the way to the rear. I've ordered a recoil buffer to see if that helps.

With the receiver dust-cover off and pulling the bolt carrier all the way back it looks like the bolt carrier is being pushed up too far at the rear most position, and almost out of the receiver by the upward tension of the FCG and hanging up on the edges of the bolt carrier rail grooves and receiver rail flanges, even with recoil spring and retainer installed. It's almost like the recoil spring retainer is allowing the rear of the bolt carrier to raise up to high at the rear. I figure the recoil buffer will keep the bolt carrier from moving all the way rearward enough to allow it to be pushed up too high in the receiver at the rear.

I've also wondered if another recoil spring and retainer might help. The action on my other AKs is nowhere near that stiff and gritty/sticky. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I don't think so. Perhaps it will loosen up and smooth out with use over time. That is why I hope Ron can put them through the real test... :-)
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow, I had a bunch of work to do this morning, but instead I just read this whole thread.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#42]
We pulled all the Draco's off the line. The front site base/gas block combo with the 90 degree port just collects to much carbon. We experienced six trunion failures with the Hungarian underfolders so the rest of them were pulled off the line. They all failed at about 50,000 round count and just to be safe, that's why pulled them.

We are going to start using some Tortort milled receivers with the parts we pulled from the Hungarian kits. I am hoping we get at least double the life out of the receiver with the milled receiver over a stamped receiver and trunion assembly.

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Matt45:
Drug back from the Dead.

@HendersonDefense

Ron- Page 11? of 8?

V/R
Ron
@HendersonDefense

Would that be the CAI Hungarian built underfolders?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Can you try one of the wolff springs Ak47 XP recoil springs?  It suppose to be 15% stronger. It manage the recoil a little better than standard springs. I compared both and the Wolff XP spring its like 2 inches longer. That with the recoil buffer is a nice combo, very pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Have you had any Century M70ab2's with the DCI receivers on the line? If so, what's your experience been?

Random and slightly off topic question, but what would you say the estimated round count would be for a standard combloc/surplus steel magazine? Seems there's a bunch of SHTF preppers that think everyone should have 40+ magazines per rifle. I would think 2-3 magazines would outlast any quality AK, unless the person is just a klutz and can't hold on to one.

Lastly, if you could pick one AK for a SHTF scenario, which would it be?lol
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Crogers23:
Have you had any Century M70ab2's with the DCI receivers on the line? If so, what's your experience been?

Random and slightly off topic question, but what would you say the estimated round count would be for a standard combloc/surplus steel magazine? Seems there's a bunch of SHTF preppers that think everyone should have 40+ magazines per rifle. I would think 2-3 magazines would outlast any quality AK, unless the person is just a klutz and can't hold on to one.

Lastly, if you could pick one AK for a SHTF scenario, which would it be?lol
View Quote
We do have several of the Century M70AB2's that did their time and then some. After rebarreling two of them twice, I decided to retire them. They were spared the metal chop saw but instead turned into dummy guns for training. I really liked them and almost wish I hadn't destroyed them but we can't save them all.

I would say the same 25% of the magazines see about 90% of the use just by the nature of the range. Mags get loaded, put back in the bin, picked back up, used and brought back to get loaded and the cycle starts all over again. AK's mags, Uzi mags and MP5 mags last the longest on the range. Unfortunately, AUG mags have a pretty short life span on the range.

If I had to pick one AK for a SHTF scenario, it would be a ............................. WASR.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:45:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ivanotano:
Can you try one of the wolff springs Ak47 XP recoil springs?  It suppose to be 15% stronger. It manage the recoil a little better than standard springs. I compared both and the Wolff XP spring its like 2 inches longer. That with the recoil buffer is a nice combo, very pleasant to shoot.
View Quote
We do use the Wolff XP recoil springs. Between those and the buffers, we have noticed a definite decrease in cracked receivers.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#47]
great! thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:01:34 AM EDT
[#48]
@HendersonDefense

How well do the VZ-58 and SKS's hold up?
Thank You, for all the information you have provided in all your high round count threads.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#49]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
God thank you for this. I can’t tell you how many guys I argue with that just refuse to believe this despite logic and evidence right in front of their face. It’s beyond obvious they help.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Interesting that new WASRs are holding up so well.

Real PM63s and PM65s have shat the bed when I fired them in high volume.

The carrier/piston pins worked out and scored the inside of the gas tube, but they were still firing.

We would have never known until it was too late had we not broken them down.

Pic from 1998:

I was just watching a P&S video with Jim Fuller and one of his guys talking about what does and doesn't work in AKs.

They said 5.56x45 NATO in the AK caused a lot of early catastrophic failures across multiple guns, especially the short AKs.  The AK was never meant to handle 55-62ksi  chamber pressure weapons with a small bore volume and high port pressures.

Have you thought of installing the adjustable gas pistons in your range rentals to reduce reciprocating mass wear effects in the guns?  Could really be a game-changer for parts longevity since AKs are gassed so hard to account for cold weather, grit, and poor quality.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top