Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:19:18 PM EDT
Guys I know I dont have the best track record here and I am sorry for that but I need some input here. My Saiga ak74 is in question. So I dont know if it will cause problems but here goes. So where the hammer hits the bolt tail and firing pin (using bulgarian hammer) the top portion of the bolt tail is smashing in just a little bit but I have seen this to some degree on most saiga aks. This rifle has 3000 rounds through it now, no popped primers no broken firing pins, if it keeps smashing which it looks like it has stopped, could it potentially push the firing pin too far into the bolt face to the point where it starts breaking firing pins or actually making the firing pin hole larger as it pushes the firing pin deeper than it was designed due to the smashed bolt tail, if it keeps getting worse, (might have stopped at this point) could it cause problems with the firing pin being pushed too far into the bolt, OR does the primer act as a cusion which would not allow this. if i put a fired case into the chamber and push on the firing pin with my finger it doesnt even push  all the way into the bolt stem.
if this is a problem could grinding down the bolt tail end of the firing pin a couple thous fix this if it needs to be "fixed"? if this was an actual issue you would see it on the net and i couldnt find anything but most people dont notice this kind of thing for they do not shoot for than a few hundred rounds in a life time. thank you so much for your time and reading.

by the way atlantic was great they hand picked me a wasr 10 all is well.

edit to thread title for a better description of OP's problem. dryflash3
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't sweat it until it starts being an issue. Post a pic of your said hammer and I will let you know if looks worse than mine with over 10k rounds through it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You may of had a bad experience in GD (General Discussion), but that forum is like the wild west.

In the Technical forums (where you are now), we are civilized and actually try to help each other and new to the site posters like you.

I can't answer your question, but I can post a link in case you need help posting a pic.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_168/638569_Picture_Posting_Tutorial__and_Picture_Test_Thread.html

View Quote

During my years lurking, as well as my years since, I will second this post wholeheartedly. I've found this to be the most helpful, best behaved forum on Arf.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You're going to pretty much get the same responses as before in your other thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/157903_What_do_you_think_.html
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok I did a test, during firing I dont think the hammer even touches the bolt stem, i pulled a bullet stuck the shell in the chamber and pulled the trigger letting the hammer strike the live primer it was a very quite "pop", I then inspected the hammer and where it was resting on the FIRING PIN not the bolt stem so all the peening is coming from the dry fire at the end of each magazine therefore my findings lead me to believe this is a non issue even with major peening of the bolt stem because the primer only lets the firing pin go so deep, if the hammer was able to send the firing pin all the way home it would pierce primers, I think I got this figured out, all good. Unless there are others out there to disagree I would love to see your point of view.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top