Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 1:52:34 PM EDT
This AK-74 was built by Bret, the owner of Never Enough Guns (N.E.G.) in middle Tennessee and not Salient Arms International. All the internals are TiN coated and the rest of the weapon is black nitride. This is a teaser to the full review that will happen once more rounds have been put down range.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Any initial thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Why put Salient Arms International in the title if it has nothing to do with them?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why put Salient Arms International in the title if it has nothing to do with them?
View Quote

Because I had the bolt carrier group TiN coated and that's something they dodo to the bolt carriers and barrels....also to create intrest.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw Salient and expected to see a $4k AK...  I'm not so hot on the TiNi bolt carrier, but love the idea of black nitride for all the steel on the gun.

Any more details on the build?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
What benefit is this supposed to give besides looks?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I saw Salient and expected to see a $4k AK...  I'm not so hot on the TiNi bolt carrier, but love the idea of black nitride for all the steel on the gun.

Any more details on the build?
View Quote

Yeah more details to come once a few changes have been made. This was done with matching Mission First Tactical (MFT) furniture but about the only furniture they make that's any goo are their stocks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

TiN coating helps with heat dissipation and wear resistance. Think of the "gold" drill bits you may have seen, same coating. 3 microns into the base metal and makes cleaning easy....I know that it's an AK lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

TiN coating helps with heat dissipation and wear resistance. Think of the "gold" drill bits you may have seen, same coating. 3 microns into the base metal and makes cleaning easy....I know that it's an AK lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like another gimmicky solution looking for a "problem".
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a gimmick....it's not the "look" everyone is in to. Look into it....
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't doubt there are plenty of good applications for TiN coating but coating an AK bolt carrier falls in the line of gimmicky to me.  I've never heard of an AK bolt carrier wearing out or breaking and they don't get that dirty as it is.  So someone charging money for a problem that doesn't exist on a particular part is a gimick in my book.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't doubt there are plenty of good applications for TiN coating but coating an AK bolt carrier falls in the line of gimmicky to me.  I've never heard of an AK bolt carrier wearing out or breaking and they don't get that dirty as it is.  So someone charging money for a problem that doesn't exist on a particular part is a gimick in my book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Point well made sir....but I'm happy with my decision lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#12]
This is necessary because, as we all know, the AK is know for having durability issues...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is necessary because, as we all know, the AK is know for having durability issues...
View Quote

Exactly!...lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because I had the bolt carrier group TiN coated and that's something they dodo to the bolt carriers and barrels....also to create intrest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are many places that do TiN coatings, MANY. Titanium nitride is nothing special. it is only used as "bling".
there are many coatings that outperform TiN. CrN , chrome nitride is one. DLC is another.

if people would do the homework they would find the gold TiN coat is one that is on the bottom of the "useful" list.
I used to deal with ionbond a lot, been in there and had test pieces done. even they suggest other coatings to use for
this application. TiN doesnt hold up as well as other coatings do.

the "gold" is marketing. performance is DLC, chrome, melonite. but those arent as "purdy"

But i do like the gun, I just would NEVER use a titainium nitride coating on a gun. much better options.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

there are many places that do TiN coatings, MANY. Titanium nitride is nothing special. it is only used as "bling".
there are many coatings that outperform TiN. CrN , chrome nitride is one. DLC is another.

if people would do the homework they would find the gold TiN coat is one that is on the bottom of the "useful" list.
I used to deal with ionbond a lot, been in there and had test pieces done. even they suggest other coatings to use for

the "gold" is marketing. performance is DLC, chrome, melonite. but those arent as "purdy"

But i do like the gun, I just would NEVER use a titainium nitride coating on a gun. much better options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The look it for everyone and if I get tired of it then I'll just have it black nitride coated.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol...Do not dodo
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone like the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hang on a sec, let me watch the video and I'll get right back to you.

ETA: After watching I think it looks ok but I don't see any practicality in coating the bc.  I'd be fine with it if I was buying a rifle and this was a no cost option but I wouldn't pay to have any of mine done.  It's not something I expect to ever have a problem with.  Did you shoot it before and after?  Was there any noticeable difference in the smoothness of the action?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

it's not the "look" everyone is in to.
View Quote

So it's a fashion statement.
No wonder I'm not interested. Never been into "bling".
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

One person does, it seems.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I guess I'm all that matters lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not a fan of getting click-baited like some HuffPo article . . .
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

As soon as he admitted the title was intentionally misleading I made it a point to not watch the video
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I like it, seems to be nicely configured and handles well. I had the sound off on the video, how much $$?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I got all excited when I saw the title of this thread
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like it, seems to be nicely configured and handles well. I had the sound off on the video, how much $$?
View Quote

It handles great!....the builder if a friend so I got a decent price. I paid $1800 I believe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The title ended with a "?" but I guess that wasn't enough for some.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Uhh...nope.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Uhh...nope.
View Quote

Nope what?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Any initial thoughts?
View Quote

Uhh... Nope.  'Nope' to watching the video, 'Nope' to the Titanium Nitride bolt carrier, and 'Nope' to the intentionally deceptive title of the thread.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Uhh... Nope.  'Nope' to watching the video, 'Nope' to the Titanium Nitride bolt carrier, and 'Nope' to the intentionally deceptive title of the thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any initial thoughts?

^^^ This

I'm sure somewhere Mexican drug lords and Middle East dictators are drooling over your "bling". They have great taste too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It handles great!....the builder if a friend so I got a decent price. I paid $1800 I believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it. But not for $1800. Coating the FCG, Bolt and Bolt Carrier cost like $180
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I like it. But not for $1800. Coating the FCG, Bolt and Bolt Carrier cost like $180
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I like the general configuration and could skip the coating. And $1800 is quite a bit more than I would pay.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice -
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you buy a Rifle Dynamics AK? They cost about the same.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I personally wouldn't spend that much on a rifle dynamics build, but Rifle Dynamics has built a name for themselves so people will pay those prices. The only thing I know about the company who built this rifle is they have <removed, this is not GD> This is a Technical Forum dryflash3.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I will in a heartbeat. Rifle Dynamics of Jim Fuller and Krebs Custom  of Marc Krebs are two top AK builders in the US. Everything that comes from them is top notch quality, whether is a rifle or accessories. I'm the proud owner of one of their rifles, but I hope to chance that since I have 2 more I will be sending to Rifle Dynamics soon.

Here is my Norinco MAK-90 upgraded by RD. Lots of work and upgrades. Also my Krebs Custom KV-13 with the RD Venom Antidote muzzle brake.

Each rifle came up to $2,500. I'm currently upgrading my SGL 21 with accessories from both Rifle Dynamics and Krebs Custom. I haven't put it all together and I was already offered $1,800 just for the rifle.

I don't have a problem paying for work or a complete rifle from RD or Krebs. But I will not pay some company $1,800 just because they coated the internals with TiN. I actually going to do that to one of my rifles that's how I know how much it costs.

I will never support companies like Definive Arms or whoever does work like this. They think that just by polishing a FCG and advertising Rifle Dynamics or Krebs Custom quality they can ask $1,500 -1,800 for their offerings.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes I will in a heartbeat. Rifle Dynamics of Jim Fuller and Krebs Custom  of Marc Krebs are two top AK builders in the US. Everything that comes from them is top notch quality, whether is a rifle or accessories. I'm the proud owner of one of their rifles, but I hope to chance that since I have 2 more I will be sending to Rifle Dynamics soon.

Here is my Norinco MAK-90 upgraded by RD. Lots of work and upgrades. Also my Krebs Custom KV-13 with the RD Venom Antidote muzzle brake.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t638/Sn1p3r_1/RifleDynamics-KrebsCustom_zps6362d2bb.jpg

Each rifle came up to $2,500. I'm currently upgrading my SGL 21 with accessories from both Rifle Dynamics and Krebs Custom. I haven't put it all together and I was already offered $1,800 just for the rifle.

I don't have a problem paying for work or a complete rifle from RD or Krebs. But I will not pay some company $1,800 just because they coated the internals with TiN. I actually going to do that to one of my rifles that's how I know how much it costs.

I will never support companies like Definive Arms or whoever does work like this. They think that just by polishing a FCG and advertising Rifle Dynamics or Krebs Custom quality they can ask $1,500 -1,800 for their offerings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t638/Sn1p3r_1/RifleDynamics-KrebsCustom_zps6362d2bb.jpg

Actually the builder of this AK74, N.E.G., Didn't coat the internals in TiN. Before he sent everything off to get nitride coated, I asked to get the internals so I could have them coated myself. I paid the $1800 for the build quality and NOT because it had the "bling" of TiN.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#43]
the rifle is nice!! but the gold bolt carrier is a bit ghetto to me .......
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

The guy that built it for me called it ghetto too.....lol   I like it and thats really all that matters.....right?  LMFAO!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The guy that built it for me called it ghetto too.....lol   I like it and thats really all that matters.....right?  LMFAO!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do all the markings on the receiver with gold. The one I'm going to do will have the internals in Nickel boron and markings in white or silver.

Like this.....

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Do all the markings on the receiver with gold. The one I'm going to do will have the internals in Nickel boron and markings in white or silver.

Like this.....

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/bgl-132r10.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this.....

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/bgl-132r10.jpg

If I do that in gold I think it will be too much lol
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:08:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Is that the Rifle Dynamics gas block ? I've been wanting to get my first ak but I cant find that gas block as I want to remove the front sight tower to cut and re thread for a Saker 7.62 brake so I can run my can on it .  Also I think the tin bolt looks great & i like the rifle ......let the haters hate .
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Personally I am not a fan aesthetically of that stock or the Bolton style gas block, but at least yours in pinned instead of bolted on.  Overall, rifle seems nice enough.  I liked the music, what is it?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top