Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/20/2014 9:48:05 AM EDT
Thought I would cross post this as well as it's kind of a cool .22 and I guess it's kinda retro since the RPK went into service in 1959 and thought you guys might enjoy it.

Went to my local dealer today and was kind of in the mood to buy something and they had an RPK there in .22 but without a mag. I thought it was kind of silly looking and though I do like me some .22s I'm not an AK collector. It is an ATK-98.

I put it on hold until I could research a mag for it and it seems like it uses the same one as the WASR 22 and will work with the Black Dog ones so I can get it for $375 out the door and it seems like they only imported 500 of them. So I think I'm gonna buy it but what does anybody else think?

TIA

Edit: Picked it up today and now need to get a mag for it. Obligatory pics to include a toe even

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice .22"LR.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that barrel just looks so long and seems even sillier on a .22 but it looks at home in the safe next to the RPD. Now if only somebody made a .22 drum that would fit it!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks, that barrel just looks so long and seems even sillier on a .22 but it looks at home in the safe next to the RPD. Now if only somebody made a .22 drum that would fit it!
View Quote

BDM.com makes a 50 round .22LR drum, look into it, I was gonna recommend their mags anyway as I use them in all my .22's Rugers 10/22's and AR Ciener and CMMG kits. How long is that barrel? I might cut it down to 16.25" and reinstall the FSB. Not that this pertains to a .22 but I've done it to SKS's cutting chicom's down to paratrooper barrel length and reinstalling the FSB with succuess. That looks rather easy to chop or cheap if you have someone do it for you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought about Black Dog since they make WASR 22 mags and drums but the drums are only available for the AR and 10-22. I might try some modification on one but it would be a pretty expensive experiment for something that likely wouldn't work. Another thought I had was the 10 round factory mags use an insert like the early .22 AR mags so maybe I'll try and pull one and install it in a 7.62 drum just for looks as it seems kinda silly to have a 50 round drum loaded with 10 rounds of .22!

On another note, how have the drums worked for you on the 10-22?

I thought about cutting it down until I found out they only imported 500 of them in RPK form.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:44:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought about Black Dog since they make WASR 22 mags and drums but the drums are only available for the AR and 10-22. I might try some modification on one but it would be a pretty expensive experiment for something that likely wouldn't work. Another thought I had was the 10 round factory mags use an insert like the early .22 AR mags so maybe I'll try and pull one and install it in a 7.62 drum just for looks as it seems kinda silly to have a 50 round drum loaded with 10 rounds of .22!

On another note, how have the drums worked for you on the 10-22?

I thought about cutting it down until I found out they only imported 500 of them in RPK form.
View Quote

The original ones worked well for me but I guess people were having feeding issues, BDM has since upgraded their entire line once again of all AR .22LR mags and I bought a few hundred bucks worth right before our ban. They look a lot better and don't have all the advertising on the mags like the 2nd generation mags but they work great. Then again they always did for me... I only have 2 drums a 2nd and 3rd gen, I bought mostly the 27 round mags, it's easier to load a few up, stick them in the pockets of my cargo pants while shooting and just reach for another. Kind of hardto do with a drum mag. Plus for the price of a drum you can get a couple standard mags which 2 of them hold a few more rounds and like I said are easier to carry...BUT it is cool looking and very fun to mag dump a 50.

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought both the wasr-22 and ATK-98. The wasr would not work at all. Both are suppose to be the same. The ATK works well but will not work with the BDM mags for some reason.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top