Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/17/2014 4:23:57 AM EDT

Can someone tell me if the Saiga IZ240 5.45 rifle accepts standard AK 74 magazines?  Thinking about getting one so I have something to shoot at the range without having to register it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Will they fit? Sometimes, sometimes you need to file on the magazine catch a bit. Mine didn't need filed on.

Will they feed? Probably not, unless you stick a feed ramp in there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
in my experience, the 5.45 SAIGA does not require a bullet. I always install one though, mainly because they do at the factory with the real 74s.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
in my experience, the 5.45 SAIGA does not require a bullet. I always install one though, mainly because they do at the factory with the real 74s.
View Quote

I agree, watch that last round in the mag though....that last round sometimes smacks into the chamber face...a bullet guide fixes that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want absolute reliability then install a bullet guide. The catch likely won't need filed, but some have in the past.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine accepted AK74 magazines out of the box, I did not have to file down the mag catch at all.  I did install a bullet guide though.  I did not test prior to the installation if it fed reliably.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I owned two of them.  AK74 mags fit and functioned 100% when I tested them when new.  I installed bullet guides in them and later sold one of them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks guys, I thought about getting one chambered in 7.62x39 but I really like the 5.45 round.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top