Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2014 8:55:34 AM EDT
Im giving everyone a heads up about this. This morning the wife checked the bank statement and found a $900 charge that we didnt do on the card. The last place i used my card was for a spam can of 5.45 @ wideners. Turns out another guy is saying the same thing online. If you bought anything from them latley you better check your cards. Im gonna call them monday.

If this happened to you please help and call on Monday 800 615-3006
Other guy

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26857

Some guys in gd had it happen to

gd forum

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Dang.. You should let them know they have a theif in their employment.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
lovely I just got a crate there last night.....
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lovely I just got a crate there last night.....
View Quote

I would get a new card asap
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dang.. You should let them know they have a theif in their employment.
View Quote

Credit card numbers are stolen any number of ways. Least likely is an employee at an online store stole it as most won't even have access to the full numbers. They probably have some malware in their systems that is jacking customer info.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Darnit, I've bought there twice recently. :(
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought from there about 3 weeks ago, and my number was stolen last week.  I use the card quite a bit so take my experience with a grain of salt, but it is the first time my info has ever been taken.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Happened to me as well. Only purchase I've made with that card all month was at Widener's.

Fortunately the fraudulent charge was only a test purchase for $4 that USAA caught immediately and shut the card down.

They probably need to reevaluate which processor they're working with.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]
They may be outsourcing their order processing.

It's hard to say without knowledge of what's happening behind the scenes, there could be any number of opportunities.  I've seen some really bad security practices as relates to customer information.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the tip, dont need that headache to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the heads up.  I had it happen once, and I had a major PITA but the bank took care of it as no way was I in Amsterdam with hookers.  Talk about explaining that one to the wife
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Thieves should be beaten severely.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Happened to me too. Ordered some 5.45 from Wideners a few weeks ago and got a call 5 days later from CC fraud watch showing a "test" on the card. Got it cancelled before any charges were made. Now I know where it came from. Has anyone contacted them over the matter ? They have a copy of my photo ID on file too, now I'm really worried. I sent them an email, will see what they say.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Should the photo ID on file concern me ? I just updated it with a blank photo, but what is someone got that before I took it out ?  No SSN on it ,so should we all be worried ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Im gonna call monday and ask a few questions myself
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Whew!  I almost made an order a few weeks ago.  Glad I didn't.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I got the cc fraud too a few weeks ago. I suspected it was ordering from Weidners....my suspicions were correct.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I also had a fraud alert Monday morning. I have used the card quite a bit lately, but Wideners was one of the places I used it earlier this month.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Ordered 6 tins two weeks ago. Got a call from the CC company on Thursday.

They attempted $7600 of purchases on my card.

One for $1470 went through but the CC company took care of it.

Said most of the transactions were for goods in Japan.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I posted my story in the other thread.
I had an issue but I could not say if my info was gathered from Wideners or not, I've made several online purchases in the last month.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:13:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a crate of 5.45 earlier this month. last sunday my card was shut off, i was out of state that weekend and only made two purchases, thus thought someone at one of the restaurants got my info? but after reading this thread not so sure..     One of the denied charges was for a taxi cab out of country, other where for small amounts thru out the states.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#22]
My Discover Card was compromised this pass week, and I bought ammo at Wideners a week or so before.  Only verification purchases of a couple of dollars, but Discover caught it immediately and changed the card.  Very interesting, I use the card all the time so was unable to pinpoint where the number was stolen from.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh man same shit happened to me after i purchased a crate from them as well.  I had made several online purchases the same day (wideners, atlantic firearms, and century). So i was unable to determine where the card was stolen from.  No I know along with all of you....  Wideners will get no more business from me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I think you guys should talk to Wideners before swearing them off.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Had my CC info stolen and used after purchasing a crate from them earlier this month as well.  They have not responded to my email to them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I am not swearing them off. They have been too good to me over the years.

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I spoke too soon about the "no more business from me" thing.  I sent them an email just now and will be contacting both them and my bank tomorrow to see if there is anyway my bank will expedite the claim report as they said it could take up to 90 days to investigate.  i will be mentioning the several posts about people from wideners getting there info stolen so hopefully that helps
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought some recently from them and haven't had any problems.

Although I did buy some IMI 5.56 a year+ back from them, it was the only charge used on the credit card and it did get compromised very shortly after.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:44:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone get ahold of them yet ? I can't get through.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone get ahold of them yet ? I can't get through.
View Quote

Not yet but thats normal for them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Just got off the phone with them. They're saying there is nothing wrong with there end.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have this experience after ordering over the phone? (Can you order over the phone with them?)
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone have this experience after ordering over the phone? (Can you order over the phone with them?)
View Quote

Yes, you can order over the phone.  However you must already have a account set up and if you are ordering ammo you need to have an ID on file with them prior. (or you have to fax it in).

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Thieves should be beaten severely.
View Quote

......And then shot, repeatedly.

Don't turn this into a GD thread, or this thread will be locked. dryflash3
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

On another forum someone said they ordered over the phone and got hacked. They probably just put the info into a computer as you give it to them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with them. They're saying there is nothing wrong with there end.
View Quote

Uh....... okay ?  Then who's end has the problem ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The credit card processor and wideners are probably two different companies.  The issue is likely with the credit processor they use.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The credit card processor and wideners are probably two different companies.  The issue is likely with the credit processor they use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I wonder if they even care to look into it or feel it's just not there problem ? I won't feel safe ordering from them again
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Happened to me as well. Only purchase I've made with that card all month was at Widener's.

Fortunately the fraudulent charge was only a test purchase for $4 that USAA caught immediately and shut the card down.

They probably need to reevaluate which processor they're working with.
View Quote

good to know...I used my USAA card on a case of 5.45 a few weeks ago too.... one month exactly actually
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I would not be to hard on the vendor. They likely have NOTHING to do with the theft.

Good chance one of their computers is compromised.
Or their website is being redirected to capture the personal data.
Calling in cards is not much help, there is no different system offered anymore, most terminals just plug into a computer... So you have online or online.

I've had 7 cards hijacked in the last 12 months, two had never been used.. Not a single charge prior to the theft, figure that out, one of those two unused cards had swiped charges, meaning the thief had made a duplicate of a card that had never been used before.
I finally got the card issuers to block ALL out of country use, and we have been problem free for five months. Many nations have a much lower standard of card authorization, so they can just run random numbers as well.

PS. I got a high end firewall and anti virus program a couple of years ago, and I can't surf most gun sites anymore.. Most of them have malware on them. So some could be that as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Regardless of who's fault it is, it would be in their best interest to help fix this.  As this spreads around the gun/shooting community, their business will suffer.  I personally will not order from them until it is straightened out and they can guarantee this will not happen again.

How many people here will not use their credit card at Target any longer?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
To keep thread from being locked, stay on topic.

Any need to express what you think should happen to the perpetrators should be posted in GD, not here.

Thank you.
View Quote

Thanks for not locking it Dry. I know its not normaly aloud to have dupe threads but im hopeing it helps people watch there credit cards at least.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I wonder if Widener's is getting the message yet. They have been a friend to the gun world for 31 years and I highly doubt they have anything to do with this, but they have to fix it fast.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wonder if Widener's is getting the message yet. They have been a friend to the gun world for 31 years and I highly doubt they have anything to do with this, but they have to fix it fast.
View Quote

Only if people are calling
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's the email reply I got from Wideners:

Thank you for your email regarding your credit card.
Our internet provider is currently investigating possible
unauthorized access to Widener's payment card data.

We keep credit card numbers on file only for a short period
so any breach is extremely limited; however, we are taking this
very seriously and have already reviewed and strengthened our security procedures.

This is a great shock to us and believe me, we are working very hard to
understand how this happened and to make sure it can't happen in the future.

It takes time to fully investigate what happened, but we are continuously
working on it. The extra security features we have just installed will protect against future unauthorized activity.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, and we will assist you in resolving this problem.

Sincerely,

Stan Widener, President
Widener's Reloading & Shooting Supply, Inc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

This was the response posted in the Reloading Forum:

View Quote

Note from Stan Widener...
Welcome To Widener's
To all our customers.
Data breaches are all too common in these times, and unfortunately, we have become a victim of one. We have been hard at work determining what happened and doing everything we can to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Here’s a summary of what we have discovered and what we have done about it:
Just prior to February 16th, there was a brute force attack on the site that we now believe allowed access to some customer credit card information. Fortunately, we keep very few customer records in our on-line database. Since there is very little information on the site, exposure is minimized just in case something like this ever happens. We were alerted to this potential breach by a few customers, and we are fortunate that it was so small.
When our internet provider later discovered the attack, we immediately took action to prevent unauthorized access. Since that time, we have further tightened security. We have also performed internal audits to insure all our in-house systems are free of problems.
At this point, we believe we have identified only a few customers who were affected by the incident, and we have done everything possible to prevent recurrence of this activity. If you suspect you have had a problem due to doing business with us, please let us know immediately. We sincerely apologize for any difficulty this has caused.
Sincerely,

Stan Widener

President, Widener’s Reloading & Shooting Supply, Inc.

Just from reading these threads, I think there has already been more than a "few" affected. They got mine too. I love Wideners, but their website has been crappy for years. Stan needs to pony up the money and create a new secure and easy to use website.

Chase contacted me with the problem. Chase told me that whoever hacked it got a lot of correct information about me. Not just my CC info, so it looks like they got all the info I input to complete the order.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Welcome To Widener's

To all our customers.

Data breaches are all too common in these times, and unfortunately, we have become a victim of one. We have been hard at work determining what happened and doing everything we can to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Here’s a summary of what we have discovered and what we have done about it:

Just prior to February 16th, there was a brute force attack on the site that we now believe allowed access to some customer credit card information. Fortunately, we keep very few customer records in our on-line database. Since there is very little information on the site, exposure is minimized just in case something like this ever happens. We were alerted to this potential breach by a few customers, and we are fortunate that it was so small.

When our internet provider later discovered the attack, we immediately took action to prevent unauthorized access. Since that time, we have further tightened security. We have also performed internal audits to insure all our in-house systems are free of problems.

At this point, we believe we have identified only a few customers who were affected by the incident, and we have done everything possible to prevent recurrence of this activity. If you suspect you have had a problem due to doing business with us, please let us know immediately. We sincerely apologize for any difficulty this has caused.

Sincerely,
Stan Widener

Just from reading these threads, I think there has already been more than a "few" affected. They got mine too. I love Wideners, but their website has been crappy for years. Stan needs to pony up the money and create a new secure and easy to use website.

Chase contacted me with the problem. Chase told me that whoever hacked it got a lot of correct information about me. Not just my CC info, so it looks like they got all the info I input to complete the order.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This was the response posted in the Reloading Forum:

Welcome To Widener's

To all our customers.

Sincerely,
Stan Widener

I posted this in another thread in the ammo section, but nearly every time I've ordered from them for years has resulted in a stolen card.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top