Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/25/2014 4:14:02 PM EDT
I stopped by my FFL on Friday to pick up my SLR-104FR (pictures of that coming soon).  As they were processing my paperwork, I saw an East German mag pouch with four mags in it behind the counter.  I asked to look at it and was surprised to see these were brand new/unissued EG bakelite mags with a brand new pouch and even a cleaning kit in the side pocket.  Awesome find, except for the $139.99 price tag.

I asked the guy if he’d take $80 and he quickly said “No”.  $90?  “Sorry, can’t do that either.”  It just so happened I had exactly $100 cash in my wallet after paying $20 for the SLR transfer.  I showed him my open wallet and said “I’ve literally only got $100.  That’s the highest I can go.”  After looking at his computer he says, “That’s below what I’m supposed to accept.  But OK.”  So, pretty good find for nice mags.

I just feel bad for the poor guy who pawned these.  I’m guessing he probably got no more than $70 for his four pristine bakelites.  Then again, he probably bought these 10+ years ago in the long-lost $5 bakelite mag era.  He’d probably think I was a fool for paying $100.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, nice score!!!!

R
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice find, im willing to bet he got only $40 when he pawned them.

Pawn shops like to mark stuff up 3 times what they paid for things.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I still have one of those sealed in plastic. If I sold it for $100, that would be like a 400% profit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Good deal.  Couple years ago I bought 13 of them, (new never used, still had Made in Germany stickers) for $5 each.  They were listed on a local on-line gun classifieds and the seller only lived about 1 block away.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics of 104FR
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics of 104FR
View Quote

Yes, we want pics!

I bought my East Germans for $9ea at a gun show in CA (Pomona/L.A. County) in the late 90's.  I almost spray-painted them black because back then, having something orange on your gun was insane.  Glad now that I never did!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, we want pics!

I bought my East Germans for $9ea at a gun show in CA (Pomona/L.A. County) in the late 90's.  I almost spray-painted them black because back then, having something orange on your gun was insane.  Glad now that I never did!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics of 104FR

Yes, we want pics!

Pics coming after I change out the handguards.  Hopefully next weekend.

I bought a few "black bakelites" a couple years ago for what must have been under $10, and didn't even realize what they were until shooting one day.  I vaguely remember the guy advertising them as Polish mags. I'm guessing that must have been a common thing to do back in the day, crazy as it now seems.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top