Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/11/2013 9:54:18 AM EDT
Bought a barreled receiver of GB that arrived at the fun store today. Was thinking of doing a write up tutorial on the conversion process. Anyone interested in a thread / tutorial for one? Or should I just show the finished product?  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be but don't out yourself for 1 person!  Either way, I'll be watching out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the confidence! This rifle doesn't have any furniture or the fsb on it, but I can pretend. I have plenty if take offs sitting in the parts bin. I will do this over the next couple of days then. I will start a new thread for it.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 Absolutely do a tutorial
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you going to go all the way with doing the hand guard retainer, welding the holes from the original axis pins, etc? Threaded barrel or threaded fsb?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I will be adding a new trigger guard (riveted), a new lower HG retainer, new FSB, new GB, replacing the rear site with a 1000m one, etc. Basically a complete conversion, not the bubba conversion. I'll even show how I install the proper large head rivet for the rear trigger guard so you don't get trigger slap. As for the welding, I suck balls when it comes to welding. If someone in Centex wants to help out I'd be more than happy to let them weld the holes for me
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1 Absolutely do a tutorial
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on photo tutorial.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
That would be cool. I'll watch.... or read
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there any chance you could do a video also?  I've built plenty of AR's and just got my first AK. I would love to try my hand at building a AK now. I've crossed to the dark side and like it. Lol
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have the equipment to do a video unfortunately. It would also be over an hour long with all he explanations and actual work. However, if you ever decide to take the plunge to convert your own, I'm always available to answer any questions you might have.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd dig a tutorial on the process.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for the tutorial
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd love to see it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Do the tut buddy!

Take LOTS of pics, tons, if you don't feel like re-sizing them all or doing any cropping or enhancements where needed, e-mail me batches of 'em, i'll do the grunt work and upload them and e-mail back links for your post.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Also wanted to add, no press will be used in this conversion. All with hand tools.

Drag, thanks man, will take a ton. It's going to take me awhile to get the thread together, but won't take long to do the conversion itself. I'll let you know about the pics. I'll send you a link and password to my photibucket, probably easier that way.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Also wanted to add, no press will be used in this conversion. All with hand tools.

View Quote

Drag, thanks man, will take a ton. It's going to take me awhile to get the thread together, but won't take long to do the conversion itself. I'll let you know about the pics. I'll send you a link and password to my photibucket, probably easier that way.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
IN.

I like the hand tools angle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#19]
took a ton of pics and got the front half done tonight. Still need to drill the pin holes though. This one had the side dimples on the barrel components. She also bled me. You're not doing right it unless it cuts you. That's my mantra anyway. I blame I certain individual who decided to call me during the process though. You know who you are.

It will be a few days before I can post the new thread though. Will need to finish the conversion and then go through all the pics and get them in line.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#21]
In for tutorial
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
took a ton of pics and got the front half done tonight. Still need to drill the pin holes though. This one had the side dimples on the barrel components. She also bled me. You're not doing right it unless it cuts you. That's my mantra anyway. I blame I certain individual who decided to call me during the process though. You know who you are.

It will be a few days before I can post the new thread though. Will need to finish the conversion and then go through all the pics and get them in line.  
View Quote

Tag-sky for pics.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I appreciate your want for a tutorial there is the saiga site that has 1-2 tutorials already why not check them out to see how they can be improved and what to offer that they do not if you go ahead with it
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:15:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Looking forward to seeing the tutorial
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Bought a barreled receiver of GB that arrived at the fun store today. Was thinking of doing a write up tutorial on the conversion process. Anyone interested in a thread / tutorial for one? Or should I just show the finished product?  
View Quote
Tutorial please.  This is relevant to my interests.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I appreciate your want for a tutorial there is the saiga site that has 1-2 tutorials already why not check them out to see how they can be improved and what to offer that they do not if you go ahead with it
View Quote

I could, but the point of my tutorial is not about how to just move the trigger forward. This will be a tutorial on how to do a complete conversion of the barrel assembly and the rear, to include using rivets, all while using mostly hand tools and not having to introduce a press. There are plenty of tutorials that tell you how to do the "bubba" conversion out there, this will go far beyond that.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I could, but the point of my tutorial is not about how to just move the trigger forward. This will be a tutorial on how to do a complete conversion of the barrel assembly and the rear, to include using rivets, all while using mostly hand tools and not having to introduce a press. There are plenty of tutorials that tell you how to do the "bubba" conversion out there, this will go far beyond that.

View Quote

Looking forward to this
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Finished the rear tonight. My smashed thumb interfered more than I thought, so the rivets aren't as good as they have in the pasr. I also don't have the proper rear trigger guard rivet, so that needs to be ordered. Will start editing pics tomorrow and get the thread started.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Taggage
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Rgr! Will do.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top