Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/28/2013 11:26:11 AM EDT
so i bought an M10 and i mounted a GunTec mount on the side rail but it slanted down. also it was higher off the bore than i was hoping. i wondered if it was the mount so i tried it on my ROMAK...perfect fit. low to the bore, straight. this is only my second AK so i don't know if this is a common problem or just an inconsistency in MY rifle. could it be ALL M10s are manufactured this way? ill post some pics so you know what im talking about.

THIS M10 762K
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Camera%20Uploads/2013-10-28%2008.14.20.jpg?w=AACnft5PaIDwN6JsnIzZG8I-RjCnuZ74eydN9OmCQq02Qg

VS

THIS romak 991

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Camera%20Uploads/2013-10-28%2008.12.03.jpg?w=AACsRKj8aiKVIAXOu1hPVpNf7I0js5LRQsbAbcyXSpzRxA

please help me out because i like the M10 and i am considering buying another one hoping the rail sits lower/straighter like my ROMAK

ALSO one more question, this is off topic but one of the guys that works at my LGS told me that the new executive order obama passed is making the importation of ALL foreign military rifles illegal, effectively prohibiting ALL AK-47s. is this true? the exec order i read sounded like it only outlawed US military re-importation, so the M1 garands and 1903s and m1 carbines are affected but AK's and such are still legal. is there another bill/order that im unaware of?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
This is old news. For example, the Wasr 10's as they come into the country are sporting rifles, not military. Then once they are here, they add enough US parts so they are no longer "foreign made". Now they can open the magwell, thread the barrel, add a bayo lug & pistol grip to restore it to a military look, as it's a US gun now.  So while many people here complain about 922 rules, this is what allows these guns to still be imported. Remember, 922 applies to importers, & builders, not a private party who buys a restored MAK 90 that has no US parts.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
the guy at the gun store is a idiot.

more and more new rifles are coming in daily. (see above)
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy at the the LGS is a knuckle-dragging cretin, either that or he's an unscrupulous lying sack of poop.

Your M10 is in terrible shape, I will relieve you of this slightly tarded rifle as I am a gallant sort, and you may use the $$ to buy a fully functional model, PM me yer best good-guy price.

ETA: Can't see your dropbox pics, try tinypic.com.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
ahh, it's some kind of hysteria in hawaii. people are spreading rumors about a new Executive order that will stop the import of ALL ak-47s and the like. ridiculous.

sorry man, too late. i just traded it for a Bushmaster XM15-ES with an Ergo stock and troy battlerail. did i get a good deal?

so you do agree, that it is probably just the rifle i got? and not ALL M+M M10s?

heres the rifle i got in trade.https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Camera%20Uploads/2013-10-28%2009.03.24.jpg?w=AAAqKmoDiunuKQd9TyCyorOYgifuTMiS6c_SuUD2Cir28A
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics are not loading. I do have one and the rail is straight. I am thinking the human brain is at work here. The top of the receiver should be straight with the rail. The bottom part of the receiver is wider at the rear and gets thinner at the front. Looking at two straight lines and one angled your brain gets screwy and tries to align the rail lines with the top and bottom (angled but straight) straight lines.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Also the rail height on the MM10 is a well documented issue. Can't fix that. Lay the rifle on the floor with optic mounted and the dust cover, bolt carrier removed. Then lay a book over the gun with the strait edge parallel to the top of the receiver covering the lower half of the receiver. Take a pic of that. The pic will tell you the answer. Then watch Brain Games on discovery.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]
it is slanted, ever so slightly. well shit, that height of the M10 is known to be higher? damn idk how i missed that. did a lot of research on it before buying. i shoulda researched more. so buying another one may be straight but likely will still be higher than normal? is there any way to remove the plate and set it lower?

also i traded the M10 for a bushmaster xm-15 e2-s with troy battlerail and ergo F93 stock. did i get an okay deal?

see if this pic works

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Camera%20Uploads/2013-10-28%2008.13.19.jpg?w=AADkZIoNwd1SWpStm3YZrd1quPIPtbXzdjxtL5iRK2X_xA

if not, heres the link to it https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Camera%20Uploads/2013-10-28%2008.13.19.jpg?w=AADkZIoNwd1SWpStm3YZrd1quPIPtbXzdjxtL5iRK2X_xA
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I welded up all of the holes in the factory mount and trunnion, and started over with a Russian 5.5mm triangle and Russian mount. High rail fixed

evl....
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]
is it possible to just drill and tap the other side of the receiver and install a side plate there?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is it possible to just drill and tap the other side of the receiver and install a side plate there?
View Quote

Sure you can, but when you go to use it you'll find your optics are on backwards and the charging handle beats the shit out of your mount every time you fire the rifle
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL right, i wasn't thinking. shit, im scouring the internets for a new AK but shit, the M10 still seems like best bang for buck. i may just find another way to mount a scope. maybe get the Dog leg rail, or some type of beryl style dust cover rail. i just bought an SKS, i was going to install a side plate on it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top