Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/8/2013 12:37:33 AM EDT
Ive been an AR person for a very long time and now wanting to get into the AK world. I have a max of $900 I want to spend on an AK and there are so many options out there in that price range its driving me insane.  I read horror stories about every brand and model it seems like but same goes for any gun so not really worried about any of that.  I just want a well built AK. Nothing fancy just reliable,sturdy and able to get parts for if ever needed. Dont much care about chrome lined barrels either if it has it fine if not then fine as well.  Here's my list ive got going that I think I will make my decision from. If you all could take a minute of your time and place your pick and why that would be great. List is in no particular order.   ALSO please no save your money for an arsenal or anything like that. I will spend up to $900 Max on one...    Thanks

1.Yugo M70 B1   $750

2.Egyptian Maadi $889

3. M10 762  $689

4. Zastava  M70 O PAP  $659

5.CAI GP 1975  $679

6. CAI Yugo Zastava AKM-47 $570

7. WASR 10 $650
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
4. Zastava M70 O PAP $659

The rest you spend on ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The PAP and WASR/M10 series are the only factory made rifles from their home countries from your list.

PAP if you want a heavier duty build, WASR/M10 if you absolutely need a chrome lined barrel.

Either way you will probably end up very happy.

And if you search around more, i bet you can beat those prices.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ive been an AR person for a very long time and now wanting to get into the AK world. I have a max of $900 I want to spend on an AK and there are so many options out there in that price range its driving me insane.  I read horror stories about every brand and model it seems like but same goes for any gun so not really worried about any of that.  I just want a well built AK. Nothing fancy just reliable,sturdy and able to get parts for if ever needed. Dont much care about chrome lined barrels either if it has it fine if not then fine as well.  Here's my list ive got going that I think I will make my decision from. If you all could take a minute of your time and place your pick and why that would be great. List is in no particular order.   ALSO please no save your money for an arsenal or anything like that. I will spend up to $900 Max on one...    Thanks

1.Yugo M70 B1   $750

2.Egyptian Maadi $889

3. M10 762  $689

5.CAI GP 1975  $679

7. WASR 10 $650
View Quote

The O-PAP is VERY nice..... the M10 and M70 (O-Pap) are the BEST bang for the buck on your list. The decision point will come from what you plan to do with this rifle. If you want a good "Run n Gun" shooter that you can dump a ka-jillion rounds through...go with the M10, its almost 2 pounds lighter than the O-pap.... If you want a nice robust range/land-home defense rifle that you can still put a ton of rounds through get the O-Pap M70. I absolutely Love my M70, the extra weight of the receiver and barrel isn't unmanageable by any means but you will feel it... I notice it every time I pick up my buddies WASR 10... how much lighter his rifle is than mine. The WASR 10 is not a rifle you want to ORDER ONLINE, however, I will say that if you can get your hands on one and give it a good look over BEFORE purchasing, it is also a viable option.... no one ever said WASR's aren't reliable, they just say some come with screwed up fit/finish/canted sights... so before buying this rifle, give it a good DETAILED look over. The M70 B1 is nice aswell, but an O-Pap is just a BRAND NEW version of this rifle, all the Yugo's are made in the same zastava factory, CAI simply imports them and converts certain models of them (not the O-PAP) to accept hi-cap mags... the Yugo M70 B1 will most likely be a kit build with an Unknown round count... tho if you are a traditionalist, this may be the best choice. same with the Egyptian Maadi...if you are a traditionalist (ie. you think AKs should only have wood and should be kept in a configuration that was actually used in a war) the Maadi is a good rifle from a collectors/traditionalist stand point, but offers NO OTHER benefit to justify its higher price, its more of a prestige thing. I hope Im not confusing you man, I just got into this platform about 2 years ago and Im still learning new shit daily.... what I have said to you is what Ive gathered from hours and hours of reading these forums.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#4]
arsenal slr107.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My vote is for the M10. It's an excellent rifle for the money. I get pretty good groups from it too.

There are two things I will mention that make it 'unique'. It has a unique side raid that is 1/2'' higher than standard, so until a company comes out with a M10 specific side mount, cheek weld and optics ain't happening. Also, because of the all in one FSB, you have to use a barrel nut to index muzzle devices correctly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]
the Maadi is closest to the ubiquitous AKM design, so I kinda dig those, the WASR is pretty close too but cheaper.  all your choices are solid,  can't really go too wrong with any of them.

the M10 is last on my list because it is furthest from the regular AKM design, but others like therm.

if the Maadi costs $889, you won't be able to stay under your $900 cap.

if you get the WASR, you can buy some mags and ammo too, and still be under your cap....
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
M10 hands down. Great little rifle, the combo gas block/front sight makes for great balance, hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel, all new rifle not a parts kit frankenstein, takes standard ak furniture. Spend the extra on mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
can't go wrong really, solid advice .

my .02 is to not overlook the yugo's, especially the pistols. just a few years ago the guys building yugo underfolders and virgin kits were the tier #1, hot rod, exotic, they spent big $$ getting essentially a M92 sbr'd. now since the pistols are everywhere people look them over, like they will be here forever.looks like century is allready "f-ixing" them up for the next gen.!  the ak world turns on a dime, by the stroke of a pen really!

same thing with converted saigas, before the legions and arsenal saigas, guys were spending big bucks converting to mil. spec. i remember just thinking if i could find a 16" saiga with dimples i'd be done

if it isn't your primary rifle, i recommend buying the most exotic specimen you can find.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
arsenal slr107.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#10]
For that money. I would get a Wasr. Chrome lined barrel. Add some mags and lots of ammo. Mine cost about $500 or so. With 3 mags. For the money a good rifle. And a good way to get into AK's.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The O-PAP is VERY nice..... the M10 and M70 (O-Pap) are the BEST bang for the buck on your list. The decision point will come from what you plan to do with this rifle. If you want a good "Run n Gun" shooter that you can dump a ka-jillion rounds through...go with the M10, its almost 2 pounds lighter than the O-pap.... If you want a nice robust range/land-home defense rifle that you can still put a ton of rounds through get the O-Pap M70. I absolutely Love my M70, the extra weight of the receiver and barrel isn't unmanageable by any means but you will feel it... I notice it every time I pick up my buddies WASR 10... how much lighter his rifle is than mine. The WASR 10 is not a rifle you want to ORDER ONLINE, however, I will say that if you can get your hands on one and give it a good look over BEFORE purchasing, it is also a viable option.... no one ever said WASR's aren't reliable, they just say some come with screwed up fit/finish/canted sights... so before buying this rifle, give it a good DETAILED look over. The M70 B1 is nice aswell, but an O-Pap is just a BRAND NEW version of this rifle, all the Yugo's are made in the same zastava factory, CAI simply imports them and converts certain models of them (not the O-PAP) to accept hi-cap mags... the Yugo M70 B1 will most likely be a kit build with an Unknown round count... tho if you are a traditionalist, this may be the best choice. same with the Egyptian Maadi...if you are a traditionalist (ie. you think AKs should only have wood and should be kept in a configuration that was actually used in a war) the Maadi is a good rifle from a collectors/traditionalist stand point, but offers NO OTHER benefit to justify its higher price, its more of a prestige thing. I hope Im not confusing you man, I just got into this platform about 2 years ago and Im still learning new shit daily.... what I have said to you is what Ive gathered from hours and hours of reading these forums.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.Yugo M70 B1   $750

2.Egyptian Maadi $889

3. M10 762  $689

5.CAI GP 1975  $679

7. WASR 10 $650

Nope you didn't lose me on this at all.  It was a good read that kind of broke things down for me..

For me this AK is not going to be treated like a baby like I treat my AR's   its going to be used,tons of rounds on targets so I want a good robust AK that isn't going to be jacked up if it fell onto the ground or dumped in a creek just examples  not planning on any of those things ha ha.  It will be used for home defense as well but probably secondary to my other guns already setup. It may also be used a throw in the truck gun. I'm not looking for anything classic AK or collectible. The AK will be outfitted with AR style rear stock and some sort of high end front handguard/rail system.  (AND NO NOT TAPCO)  then more then likely ill duracoat it.   SO thats where finish doesnt really matter to me as long as its not horrible tool marks all over the outside
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For that money. I would get a Wasr. Chrome lined barrel. Add some mags and lots of ammo. Mine cost about $500 or so. With 3 mags. For the money a good rifle. And a good way to get into AK's.

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/JD422/media/FDE9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb434/JD422/FDE9.jpg</a>
View Quote

SO thats a wasr in your pic?   It looks really good
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#13]
WASR with a little work. About $300 in extras.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WASR with a little work. About $300 in extras.
View Quote

midwest rail correct?  I have no clue on the optic mount haha..  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Started off as a WASR that I picked up. For a summer refishing project. Midwest industry long rail. Midwest side mount. U.S. Palm grip. Ace stock and side folding addaptor. Krebs A2 Flash hider. I then Duracoated it in Flat dark earth. Shoots great.

Stock then added. Got most of the stuff of the Equipment exchange.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Started off as a WASR that I picked up. For a summer refishing project. Midwest industry long rail. Midwest side mount. U.S. Palm grip. Ace stock and side folding addaptor. Krebs A2 Flash hider. I then Duracoated it in Flat dark earth. Shoots great.

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/JD422/media/FDE1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb434/JD422/FDE1.jpg</a>
View Quote

looks awesome.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks. For the money a nice rifle. Over the years I have had 10. From Poly teck, Norenco, Maddi. And just got a Arsnal. For the money a good deal. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]
What about this one

CAI Yugo Zastava AKM-47 NPAP rifle, 7.62x39 caliber, with black polymer stock

is this one just as good as an O PAP?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#19]
It doesn't have the bulged trunion and receiver, but I think the receiver is thicker than standard. Still a solid rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:33:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Narrow it down by making a commie-made, chrome lined barrel a requirement. That makes it much easier to choose.

evl....
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd go with a WASR 10/63.  

If you can find one local that would be great.  Give a good look before you take it.

If not, I would order from JGSales and if it arrives to your FFL jacked up, you can always send it back for one that has been assembled correctly.  I would call first to make sure on that.

Some things to look out for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHyixxEat6c
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#22]
If you are dead set on buying a romanian rifle, M10 as i've already said is the one i'd choose, but if you'd rather have a Wasr or a GP, definitely consider buying from Atlantic, they have a reputation for making sure that sights aren't canted etc. BEFORE they ship the rifle. This is a nice looking rifle here: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-gp-1975-black-poly-ak47-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

New US receiver and barrel which some here may not like, but it's a good looking rifle, half tempted to buy one myself, need one for the wife.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
...definitely consider buying from Atlantic, they have a reputation for making sure that sights aren't canted etc. BEFORE they ship the rifle.
View Quote

Yes, Atlantic is a great vendor.  I've used them many times, and will again.

But they've expressly said on numerous occasions that they do not individually inspect each rifle prior to shipping.  Which makes sense given the volume they do.  Most other vendors also don't inspect each rifle, which is why people often say that it's best to buy a WASR in-person so that you can check for such things yourself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you are dead set on buying a romanian rifle, M10 as i've already said is the one i'd choose, but if you'd rather have a Wasr or a GP, definitely consider buying from Atlantic, they have a reputation for making sure that sights aren't canted etc. BEFORE they ship the rifle. This is a nice looking rifle here: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-gp-1975-black-poly-ak47-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/gp1975cai3.jpg

New US receiver and barrel which some here may not like, but it's a good looking rifle, half tempted to buy one myself, need one for the wife.
View Quote

I can't find a good price on an m10 or I would prob grab one. Atlantic has good price but out of stock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#25]
M10 for the win
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I can't find a good price on an m10 or I would prob grab one. Atlantic has good price but out of stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/gp1975cai3.jpg

$669.00, not bad, with collapsible stock, I personally would ditch that stock but some folks might like it.

http://www.kygunco.com/mm-inc-m10-762k-collapsible-stock-ak-type-rifle-58573
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

$669.00, not bad, with collapsible stock, I personally would ditch that stock but some folks might like it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for link man
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#28]
IMO

Get yourself a MAK 90, IWD furniture.

Best bang for the buck sub $1000
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#29]
O-PAP at J&G for $549 right now. Saw one of the OPAPs today and it was solid, well-put-together rifle. Everything on it seemed as straight as the Dos Equis Guy. Other than the fact that J&G takes the two mags and puts one cheap one back, I think it's the best deal going. The one I saw came in from Atlantic.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Used (or good deal) Arsenal SGL or SLR variant.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
IMO

View Quote

Looking for my first AK here. There's a ban-era MAK-90 locally for $775 with plastic furniture. Better than a new O-PAP?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Looking for my first AK here. There's a ban-era MAK-90 locally for $775 with plastic furniture. Better than a new O-PAP?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMO

I say yes.  Others may disagree.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top