Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/23/2013 11:58:22 AM EDT
Little confused here. I am sold on buying a Zastiva pap AK being as I just sold my last AK so I cant be with out one.

Anyways I cant find the difference between the N-pap. and the O-pap. The N-pap seems to be more expensive.

I want the AK with the nicer wood, no scope rail on the dust cover, the longer stock and the bigger fore end. Its the slightly upgraded AK. Are both the paps like that?

Thanks for the help....very confused
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The PAP rifles had some issues, so there are now 3 or 4 generations of them.  One of them also didn't have the RPK style receiver.

I forget which is newer, the N or the O.. but if you are going to get one, get the latest generation.  I believe the O-PAP is the latest generation.  I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm it soon enough.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Little confused here. I am sold on buying a Zastiva pap AK being as I just sold my last AK so I cant be with out one.

Anyways I cant find the difference between the N-pap. and the O-pap. The N-pap seems to be more expensive.

I want the AK with the nicer wood, no scope rail on the dust cover, the longer stock and the bigger fore end. Its the slightly upgraded AK. Are both the paps like that?

Thanks for the help....very confused

Opap is has a RPK receiver, Npap is AKM.

Good deal on Os at J&G Sales

O-PAP

Edit; It was the older PAPs with the railed top cover that had the problems.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link that is where I was looking and couldnt deicde which was what.

So the Opap is the newer one? Which receiver style is the one to have? I read about these have a 1.6mm thick receiver but I dont know which generation has that either? I want the heavier one.

If the o pap is newer why is the n pap more expensive? Thanks for the help guys I think im going to buy today as long as I get this stuff figured out
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I think both are the newer versions. I don't know why one more than the other, they probably just have more Os. The O has  a 1.5mm receiver.

I like the surplus wood on the Os better.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
so the n does not have the thicker receiver then? I really liked the new wood on the zastiva rifles. I think it was maple or pine, and from the stock picture it looks like that is the n.... so I guess i just dont know yet but all zastiva rifles have the thicker receiver or just the o like you mentioned?

Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think both are the newer versions. I don't know why one more than the other, they probably just have more Os. The O has  a 1.5mm receiver.

Except for the stupid Serbian eagle on the stock. (On the J&G guns)

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did J&G put that on there?
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Just shoot it and make sure it doesn't have any hiccups first chance you get! Century can be pita to deal with on getting things fixed depending on where you live.   I am not an Ak guy and didn't realize they buggered the pap to make it take double stack mags when I ordered mine. I've shot a lot of AK, taught buddies how to clean and take their's apart but that's the extent of my knowledge with em.  That's my fault for missing the conversion in my research. The  feed ramp  was all fubar and trunion was messed up too. Mine wouldn't  fire more then two rounds without a hiccup. When I got mine back the stock wasn't installed correctly, I had to take it apart and do it correctly. The nice right fitting dust cover I had on mine was obviously not the same dust cover I got back either. Never responsed to my emails about how they didn't put stock on right or that the dust cover was useless as
An optic mount because of the increased play.  For the price and all the hype the acureracy isn't anything special either.
    They look awesome, well built for most part  and mine functions flawlessly now. I am disapointed with the accuerarcy but too late now. With  all the coin I put down for it  I will have to install on a side mount myself if I want to use an optic on it doesn't make me happy either.

The others I have seen didn't have a dust  cover as loos as mine is now either way obviously not a solid steady  mount so you wouldn't be using it for long range/repeat firing and expecting great accuerarcy for the mount but normally close up would be fine accept in my situation because the play is extreme.
   The only complaints I've found are the feeding issues on the double stack, crappy dust cover for optic mount and accuerarcy not being all that for some.
I bought mine right before the craze happened.

I known orginally they left the single stack bolts in em like mine has. But I read a while  back someone reported tha one of the mods included a double stack bolt or whatever they called it too. I didn't fact check that so it may be something to look into too if that is what mod includes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally I would get the O-PaP.  The N has a slabside receiver and civilian furniture, the O has the thicker RPK style receiver, surplus furniture, and correct FSB and RS for night sight inserts.  Both versions have ditched the top cover rail and now have the correct bolt IIRC.  I know the O does.  Both now have the M21 side rail.

The O is the closest thing you can get to pre-ban Yugo rifle (M70) that has been offered since the Mitchell imports.  All you really need to do is add the night sights and change out the GB, pistol grip, and you have a semi auto Yugo M70.  I really need to pick one up myself.

Just steer clear of the earlier generations.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did J&G put that on there?

I haven't looked much at PAPs, but I have only noticed it on the ones from J&G.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally I would get the O-PaP.  The N has a slabside receiver and civilian furniture, the O has the thicker RPK style receiver, surplus furniture, and correct FSB and RS for night sight inserts.  Both versions have ditched the top cover rail and now have the correct bolt IIRC.  I know the O does.  Both now have the M21 side rail.

The O is the closest thing you can get to pre-ban Yugo rifle (M70) that has been offered since the Mitchell imports.  All you really need to do is add the night sights and change out the GB, pistol grip, and you have a semi auto Yugo M70.  I really need to pick one up myself.

I've always wondered about the Zastava pistol grips. Seems that the plastic ones that come on the PAPs are correct for a real deal M70.

Were the fatty wood grips on the Mitchell's correct for an earlier period?

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wondered about the Zastava pistol grips. Seems that the plastic ones that come on the PAPs are correct for a real deal M70.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m78y9qYNwW1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg

No they come with those Century US made grips with the finger grooves...not the correct grips like in your pic. I don't know if the wood grips were military issue or not at any point (perhaps for the M76 only).  I was referring to the correct Yugo plastic grip or a correct US copy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m78y9qYNwW1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg

No they come with those Century US made grips with the finger grooves...not the correct grips like in your pic. I don't know if the wood grips were military issue or not at any point (perhaps for the M76 only).  I was referring to the correct Yugo plastic grip or a correct US copy.

Ahh...I see now (the finger grooves). The only PAP I own is a pistol with the correct grip.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Very interesting. I almost think maybe I should just swing a WASR, or avoid it all and buy a PTR 32 (not that I could find one, anywhere) or a Sig 556R..............

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Should I avoid everything and just get the RPK?

http://www.jgsales.com/cai-m64-rpk-heavy-barrel-ak-pattern-rifle,-7.62x39-cal,-with-club-foot-stock.-p-1584.html

NOt sure how fun that would be to shoot off hand though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Get the O-PAP. It is well built and solid. Mine has been problem free. Only thing I did to improve it was apply 5-6 coats of tung oil, US Palm grip, and Tapco slot break. All done.

" />
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get the O-PAP. It is well built and solid. Mine has been problem free. Only thing I did to improve it was apply 5-6 coats of tung oil, US Palm grip, and Tapco slot break. All done.

http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/bjfoien/P1120201_zpsfebe4067.jpg</a>" />

Does yours have a double stack bolt?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes it does.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Probably going to get a M70 for my birthday.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes it does.

Why did you have to say that? Now my credit card committed suicide since I'm going to pick one up.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Correct for the M76.  At one time Zastava had a pic of a M72 with the fat M76 wood grip on it on their website (gone now), but I have never seen a pic of a M72 in the wild with one.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#22]
so the O pap's have a double stack bolt now?

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
so the O pap's have a double stack bolt now?

Correct
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]
thanks I was holding off until I found out
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 3:33:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/bjfoien/P1120201_zpsfebe4067.jpg</a>" />

that tung oil really made the grain pop on that wood. Nice Job
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't like how they don't have a rear sling loop. M70 should have a loop in the rear left side of the receiver. The massive scope rail on these blocks the location for the sling loop - otherwise it'd be an easy retrofit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, the correct grip is the black plastic but the export rifles for Mitchell and American Arms were both delivered with the M76 wood pistol grip as ordered.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't like how they don't have a rear sling loop. M70 should have a loop in the rear left side of the receiver. The massive scope rail on these blocks the location for the sling loop - otherwise it'd be an easy retrofit.

Its because its the M21 scope rail which isnt really "correct" for the M70 type rifle thus it blocks the space where the sling loop should have been.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Why are the N-Paps $100 more than the O-Paps?  And don't tell me it's because of that stupid railed top cover.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its because its the M21 scope rail which isnt really "correct" for the M70 type rifle thus it blocks the space where the sling loop should have been.

exactamundo - I don't like that scope rail at all. what kind of rifle has no rear sling attachment?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top