Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2012 9:24:25 AM EDT
Just received my "RUSSIAN RAK AK47 RIFLE RED CLASSIC" from Atlantic which comes with a polished & electro less nickel plated bolt carrier & bolt.  Upon dissasembly and inspecting each part I noticed flaking on the bolt carrier.  I have not fired this rifle yet... Is this normal for these bolt carriers with the nickel plated finish?

http://i.imgur.com/M8yP8.png
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad prep prior to plating.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't look normal to me. Looks like a corner got cut in the finishing process. I'd call Atlantic, and see if they'll make it right.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Appreciate the input!  Just sent their support an email with the image.  Will follow-up with their action to remedy the situation.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, that wouldn't bother me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Honestly, that wouldn't bother me.

Exactly this.

That piston is going to turn colors, get caked with soot etc.  Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoddy workmanship.  You can always install a stainless US piston.  What is the actual bolt carrier finished with?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wanted to update: After several weeks and a few follow-up emails to Atlantic - finally received a response.  They stated that the gas piston (which I now realize I incorrectly stated in the thread title), the bolt carrier, and the bolt were all finished with the nickel plating.  However, the gas piston is stainless steel and therefore they stated the nickel plating was not meant to be applied to.  They did offer (as the 1 year warranty states) to refund the rifle if I requested.  Obviously this issue is not something worth returning the rifle over - but it does seem a bit sloppy as it causes the flaking nickel plating to scatter all along the inside of the receiver.  

Thanks again to all who gave their input in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#8]
And that is the issue, flakes of metal every time you fire the thing. I would either take that plating off or get a new piston. If you tried to send it back for refund/replacement, there is no telling when or if you'd get one back in this environment. Or as another option, have the manufacturer replace the piston for you. It really should cost you nothing to fix their issue for them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no idea why Atlantic's builder is plating the bolt assemblies (especially the stainless steel piston - that says a great deal about their expertise there).

No AK of any national origin has ever had a nickel plated bolt carrier and bolt - NONE! Why would you build a "Russian AK" and then make it "not correct" with a nickel plated bolt group?

It just adds to to the cost of building the guns. They'd probably get the same price without the damned plating.

I took the issue up with the owner at Atlantic once and he said "a lot of people like it with the plated bolt assembly". Yes a lot of people like dumb shit, that's not a reason to do it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top