Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/30/2012 7:51:58 PM EDT
I know there's a refinishing forum but I thought I'd ask here since others have bought the same item.

I have a couple of 100% Bulgarian SSR-85Cs.  Contrary to some accounts I've found online, mine were not slapped together from used parts, other than the fore-grip furniture on one of them.  Everything else, barrels, receivers, et cetera is new.  The parkerizing (or whatever finish that is on the metal) sucks.  

I finally have some time (and parts) to build and configure these the way I want them.  Anyone got a good method for the particular finish on these rifles?

On a related note, I'm also looking for recommendations on how to get them refinished.  I was thinking DuraCoat or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
blast cabinet and aluminum oxide media to remove parkerizing.

But usually you apply a paint finish over parkerizing after properly degreasing it as a park finish gives a spray on finish a base for proper adhesion.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
blast cabinet and aluminum oxide media to remove parkerizing.

But usually you apply a paint finish over parkerizing after properly degreasing it as a park finish gives a spray on finish a base for proper adhesion.

The park is really crappy, some scratches, some flaking.  I may get another one of these though, and if it has a good enough park job I'll keep your suggestion in mind.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Research "Aircraft remover". I have seen some people use it before on painted gun parts. Not sure if it will do park, but it should have some effect.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd recommend first painting it.  See how it looks.  Degrease it and then buff it with 000 steel wool and then clean and paint.  If you want a good, tough camo paint use tractor/machine oil-base paint and mix in TALC baby powder to dull it.  A Park'n'Paint finish is very protective.

Many years ago I inadvertently striped a 1903A3 Springfield of its phosphate/Park finish with regular paint stripper.  I THINK it was Zip-Strip but I can't swear to it.  I do not know whether the common hardware strippers will do this now or if EPA or whatever has forced some alteration of chemicals, but if you decide to strip it, get some Zip-Strip and see what happens.  This gun I stripped maybe in about 1979-81 or so.  Stuff's changed since then so I am not sure if the available strippers are GTG or not.

Here's a camo job.  If the Park on your gun is covering all the metal and there aren't big voids or something, think hard before you strip it, as Park is one of the best primers ever;

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Aircraft paint stripper (Turco type IV). will not remove parkerizing.  It barely removes paint.  I work with the stuff regularly (I work at a rotorblade overhaul station), and it usually takes two days to remove old worn paint and primer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the sandblasting cabinet and aluminum oxide.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top