Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/18/2012 2:59:11 PM EDT
Started out as this:

I recontoured the back while it was in a vice with a heat gun, then rit dyed it black:

I think it turned out pretty good.  I didn't remove much material, but did file it a little before stippling.  The rubber door also melted off so I don't have the storage compartment anymore.  I still like.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
this could save you some time
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Use a palm on my slr106, but thinking of trying one of these.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]

I ordered one of these a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to get it so I can see how it stacks up to my all time favorite grip, the Bulgarian fat grips.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I ordered one of these a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to get it so I can see how it stacks up to my all time favorite grip, the Bulgarian fat grips.

Sorry to thread-jack here but, I've been wanting to try the Bulgy Fat-Grip. Where can I get them from?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry to thread-jack here but, I've been wanting to try the Bulgy Fat-Grip. Where can I get them from?

I picked a couple of them up from a guy over on The AK Forum, they pop up occasionally on various AK forums.
The only store that I know of that sells them right now is Desert Fox Outfitters, but be warned that they are in rough condition by all accounts. All of the Bulgy fat grips are surplus, but these ones are a little more rough than your average surplus from what I hear. Though, they are only going for $13, so it's probably not a big deal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I posted a thread asking about this not too long ago. I never got any real information. What did you use besides the heat gun to recontour the grip? I really want to flatten the hump on mine. I gave it the heat gun treatment for a short time to see what effect it had, but the surface of the grip started melting. The surface was hot enough to melt, yet the grip was still hard enough that I couldn't get any movement whatsoever.

A short tutorial would be appreciated if you are willing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
You will melt some of the material, but if you stipple it you won't even notice.

I basically heated it up and then "moved" the melted material to the sides and around front of the grip.  It took FOREVER.  I then evened it out as best I could with the gun and then took an aggressive plastic file to it.  It looked like serious crap before I stippled it, but there was PLENTY of material on the grip and I have full confidence in it's durability.  

I'm going to do this to a different black one and hopefully it turns out better.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks! I was worried when I started seeing the melting. My thought was that the material would heat up and get soft and I could basically just flatten the thing. I see now that I'll just be, um, "re-positioning" the material if you will.

What did you use to move the melted material? When I tried, I was using a wooden dowel to try to flatten it, but I guess that isn't the way to go about it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top