Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/5/2012 12:46:07 PM EDT
I bought a used Waffen Werks AK74 last month and was extremely impressed with it. Form, fit, function, all dead on. It was built on a Nodak receiver.

So I ordered two with the wood stocks from the new lot that Aim has. I took the day off to pick them up and head to the range to zero. I unfortunately never made it out of the shop with them, had to return both.

Bryan with Aim was superb, as usual. I am not throwing rocks at Aim at all, been a loyal customer for years. But whoever did this latest batch of rifles at Waffen Werks appears to have done some shoddy QC.

Rifle #1: First noted that the new receiver was not stamped Nodak but "Waffen Werks Knoxville TN" on the underside forward of magwell. Bryan said that Nodak made them though, so that probably isnt the issue. Great finish, sights straight, stock was a little beat up but looked good overall. I picked it up to take the top cover off, big problem. Top cover was completely locked in place. It looked like the button was oversized and someone had hammered it on. Without dremeling off a good portion of the button, there was NO way the gun was coming apart.  The selector switch would barely move from safe to semi or back the other way as well.

Rifle #2. Same great finish, stock the same, same stuck selector switch issue. The only other issue with this one was that the top cover wouldnt seat once I took it off. The recoil spring assembly would not seat all the way to the rear to allow the button to pop back in place. Looks like it was definitely ground on to try to make it fit, but it was shipped with it barely in place and once it was taken apart, no more workee. I thought maybe it was hitting on the stock screw at first but it was not. Someone definitely knew it was jacked up because I could see the grind marks.

So anyway, quick call to Bryan and they will have the dealer ship back. Aim is great, I just wish someone had at least checked for basic function before shipping.

I am interested to know if anyone else got one from the first batch. The wood is sold out but there are plum stocked ones on there. I am hesitant to have them replaced if the workmanship was that shoddy, but maybe, hopefully, I was the just the unlucky fella to get the only two bad ones in the batch. I hope that is the case, I might re-order and take my chances on another if someone has good luck with them.

I hesitate to post negative issues but after all the good posts from folks I figured I owed it to the collective knowledge base that there are some issues that are inconsistent with what I have heard on quality with the Waffen Werks rifles, and they should have easily been caught before they left the assembly line.

Anyone else have one that can provide feedback?

Kindest Regards, Stonewall 06
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn man that's too bad.  I love my WW 74, no problems and superb fit.

Keep us updated as to what you decide.   Honestly I'd roll the dice again, as I've seen very, very,very few complaints.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one this year,was not at all pleased with it.Glad I got rid of it.
I don't know what the expectation of WW is.They are used parts kits, used with a U.S. made barrel,and receiver.
Nothing special about it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had mine about a week, that I got from Atlantic.  Fit and finish is great, although the wood was a bit beat up but not a big deal. The top cover is a bit tricky for me to get back on, but I blame that on my inexperience with these type of rifles.  The receiver is also stamped Waffen Werks.   I have only fired two quick mags through it, and it ran flawless as fast as I could pull the trigger.  So far, I LOVE IT!
Hopefully you get your issues ironed out.  One reason I bought this one was because of the good reviews I read on it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope they are good.....Blaine is delivering one to my FFL Wednesday!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a plum stocked one from Aim, hoping I might get a good one this time. I didnt want to wait for my two returns to make their way back and then have them run out of them during the exchange. Crossing fingers.....
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
what is the muzzle break on the end of that rifle?

does it screw off? why does it look so tankish
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what is the muzzle break on the end of that rifle?

does it screw off? why does it look so tankish

Standard -74 muzzle device.  Yes, it does unscrew.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First noted that the new receiver was not stamped Nodak but "Waffen Werks Knoxville TN" on the underside forward of magwell. Bryan said that Nodak made them though

Receivers marked this way are not from NoDak Spud LLC.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

Thanks for clarifying Sir.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought real deal Bulgarians back when they were reasonable. No way am I letting them go now reading this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I was tempted to pull the trigger on one of these when they were in stock.  Would have been my first 74.  Now kinda glad I held off.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#13]
It could just be my tough luck...I have a history of that when ordering firearms online. My plum stocked WW AK74 should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I will have good things to report. I wouldnt let my single experience turn anyone off to them altogether because the one that I bought used earlier this month (apparently from the first batch since it had the Nodak receiver) was awesome.

More to follow....

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]
This is what a real  NoDak Spud LLC receiver looks like from Waffen Werks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Correct. That is exactly what my used one looks like.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Well it wasnt love at first sight but I ended up taking it home.

As soon as the young lady behind the counter handed it to me I immediately tried to take the top cover off. Same friggin issue. They slammed it on to get it out the door but the there is something wrong with the way that the rear trunnion is lined up or something, the recoil assembly heel doesnt seat correctly for some reason. So the gunsmith takes it around back and manages to pry off the top cover with a brass hammer and slot screwdriver. Once we got it off and worked it around a bit I could tell someone had been grinding on this one as well, apparently it's some sort of systemic problem now that I have seen three for three done this way.

Now the good news. With some minor filing to the outer edges and the inside the trunion where it was catching, it works like a charm. As for everything else on the rifle, literally perfect. The flash suppressor fits snugly and even lines up with the little notch at the bottom correctly. The finish is perfectly even, the action is smooth and the sights are straight as an arrow.

So if you are willing to do a little minor fitting and take a chance on one, it is definitely worth the money.  I still maintain that someone should have caught these before they shipped but oh well, at least now I have one good rifle out of three.

Hope this input helps others.

Regards, Stonewall 06
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Hmm...makes me wonder if their parts stock is running low and they're getting to the lower end?
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Not sure, but I did forget to mention that it appears to be built on a brand new Bulgarian kit, doesnt even appear to be test fired. The gas piston and bolt face have never seen powder burns, it is very clear.

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Waffen Werks is now making their own receivers.

Perhaps they are experiencing a little bit of trial and error with the manufacturing of their new receivers?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Although I have only had mine a short while, it has been flawless and looks good.  Here is a pic of the Waffen Werks receiver........

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I just received my WW AK-74 about 15 minutes ago and guess what ? Yeah that's right, i can't get the cover off. I can't believe someone would even let this out the door with their name on it. You should be able to push in on the recoil spring assembly and the cover pops. Hell i can't get mine to budge at all and i'm pissed. The rest of the rifle looks great. I didn't buy mine from Atlantic because they were out of stock the day i ordered.

I really don't want to pry on it so i'll probably send mine back.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I's probably just tight as it's never been shot yet, "work" it a bit before you return it,.....it will probably be fine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#24]
This is crazy. It seems like a very consistent problem on the latest runs of the WW 74's. I ordered mine from Atlantic just before this thread was posted and I don't see the same issue at all. I didn't have even a little bit of trouble getting the cover off, and I didn't notice any grinding marks. I would assume mine is from the same batch given the timing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#25]
that's a bummer, I have one of the older waffen werks ak74's built on the nodak spud receivers. Mine takes town very easily and there is no play at all in the topcover.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just received my WW AK-74 about 15 minutes ago and guess what ? Yeah that's right, i can't get the cover off. I can't believe someone would even let this out the door with their name on it. You should be able to push in on the recoil spring assembly and the cover pops. Hell i can't get mine to budge at all and i'm pissed. The rest of the rifle looks great. I didn't buy mine from Atlantic because they were out of stock the day i ordered.

I understand your frustration but to send a rifle back because you cant get the top cover off? I mean atleast keep trying to get it off and put it back on and if it keeps doing the same thing, i guess then try to send it back. But thats me...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your frustration but to send a rifle back because you cant get the top cover off? I mean atleast keep trying to get it off and put it back on and if it keeps doing the same thing, i guess then try to send it back. But thats me...

Don't give me the face. I bet i've owned more AKs and shot more rounds through one than you'll ever do in your entire life. What's is to receive a rifle that is clearly out of spec. There is no getting the cover off by hand. It would require prying and possibly even hits with a hammer which isn't right. What's is this isn't the first rifle with this problem, i've found a dozen cases so far with this exact problem. The rifle should have never left Waffen Werks like this. This isn't just a "it's tight because it's new" issue, this is an out of spec problem so keep your god damn to yourself.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't give me the face. I bet i've owned more AKs and shot more rounds through one than you'll ever do in your entire life. What's is to receive a rifle that is clearly out of spec. There is no getting the cover off by hand. It would require prying and possibly even hits with a hammer which isn't right. What's is this isn't the first rifle with this problem, i've found a dozen cases so far with this exact problem. The rifle should have never left Waffen Werks like this. This isn't just a "it's tight because it's new" issue, this is an out of spec problem so keep your god damn to yourself.

LOL what a fucking child. You clearly are a textbook armchair commando with a reply like that Mr "AK Operator". Please tell me more about how much you know about me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I ordered my WW ak74 from RRC firearms in Sept. Cover very tight, once i got the cover off, i couldnt get it back on, The dust cover # didnt match the rest of the rifle.rifle was advertised as all matching on RRC website. Talked to Hank  from Waffen Werks (RRC forwarded my email to them ,never heard a word from RRC). Hank said they would switch out rifle since it wasnt matching as it should be and send a return label out. 2 weeks  and 3 emails later, i get label. Sent it back. per email  from Hank WW they had fixed my rifle and shoudld have it back Nov 9.Emailed hank nov 19, they should be getting out I am told again. Email hank asking if Im getting the original rifle back or the switch out as discussed, no answer yet. Very disappointed as these 2 firms seem to have good reps for service. AIM got the wood version in soon after my order, Wish I knew they were getting them, would have waited and  I bet you things would go smoother with AIM on my side.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#31]
System Message
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top