Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/3/2012 6:47:38 PM EDT
I ordered an SA-M7 01. It has black polymer furniture, and a fixed stock.
I want OD green furniture, and the Warsaw buttstock.

Is this plug/play, or is changing furniture on an AK more involved? Sorry for my ignorance, I am totally new to the platform.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It's mostly just plug/play, but you'll likely need a flat file or sandpaper to get it on.  You shouldn't have to remove much material though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's mostly just plug/play, but you'll likely need a flat file or sandpaper to get it on.  You shouldn't have to remove much material though.

To remove material from the new stock?
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To remove material from the new stock?

Yes.  AK's have different dimensions so furniture is made oversized to allow a precise fit.  You'll likely have to remove some material from the buttstock and handguard for them to fit on the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The SA-M7 is a milled receiver, you will need to make sure you get furniture for a milled receiver.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 4:27:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Here you go..........AK furniture replacement
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here you go..........AK furniture replacement

From that link:

"The quick and dirty method for removing the buttstock: Insert a flat bladed screwdriver into the large hole in the top of the rear trunion, and pry the buttstock backward out of the receiver (figure 2)."

There are 2 easier ways to take the buttstock off when the screws are removed.

1. Dirty Laundry Bag Technique:

Fill laundry bag or GI Duffel bag with dirty laundry. Place bag on a carpeted floor.
With screws removed from buttstock and rifle field stripped, grasp rifle by barrel and use an over the head wood chopping swing.
Beat all 4 sides of the buttstock on the laundry bag.
Stock will wobble off.

You can also you a carpeted floor that has padding underneath it, your bed, our your couch.
Just don't let your wife catch you.

2. Padded bench vice and mallet technique:

Mount receiver of rifle in a padded vice (rags over jaws to protect finish). Using a plastic or rubber mallet hit all 4 sides of the stock.
Stock will wobble off.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't beat it so hard you break or bend your stock tangs!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't beat it so hard you break or bend your stock tangs!!

It's an AK, you're not going to break bend those tangs, especially hitting a laundry bag.

Don't want to use a mallet? You can use the heal of your hand.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is this plug/play, or is changing furniture on an AK more involved? Sorry for my ignorance, I am totally new to the platform.

I just ordered and installed a Warsaw stock from Kvar (no, I don't work for them).  Small amount of sanding to top and bottom and fit great (you want it tight...I tapped mine in with a hammer.) I also want OD furniture so I plan on
Duracoating the Stock and adding a OD Midwest Industries AK-SS universal hand guard (will be available soon).  Or you can duracoat your front grip.  Youtube removing the grip from the gasblock. You will lose 1 922r part with the warsaw stock but you still have the FCG (3), pistol grip (1), and front hand guard (2).  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just ordered and installed a Warsaw stock from Kvar (no, I don't work for them).  Small amount of sanding to top and bottom and fit great (you want it tight...I tapped mine in with a hammer.) I also want OD furniture so I plan on
Duracoating the Stock and adding a OD Midwest Industries AK-SS universal hand guard (will be available soon).  Or you can duracoat your front grip.  Youtube removing the grip from the gasblock. You will lose 1 922r part with the warsaw stock but you still have the FCG (3), pistol grip (1), and front hand guard (2).  Hope this helps.

I think you're missing his point.
Warsaw generally means a shorter length of the buttstock. It is the same length of stock used on AK's from the rest of the world.
It can be had as a US made poly stock or foreign made wood or poly stock.

K-Var has a Nato length US made buttstock that is longer than Warsaw length stocks, supposedly more comfortable for taller shooters.

I'm tall - 6'4 & own both lengths of stocks and find I prefer the warsaw length.
I figure there is a good likelyhood of coming in contact with an AK outside the US, especially in the middle east where I travel frequently.
Best to know how to shoot accurately the short warsaw length that is used in the rest of the known world.  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top