Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/15/2012 11:17:49 AM EDT
I'm wanting to switch from a hunting rifle to a fun gun, and I've always like the AK74, so I figured why not get one. I'll be going to a gun show next weekend with hopes of finding a good deal for one. I'd love to pick up an arsenal, and I can buy a 106cr from my local shop, but I'd prefer to have a 5.45. Getting to the meat of the topic, I'd really love to have a Standard 74, but I don't know what brands to look for and how much I should expect to pay for said brands USED? I'm not looking at the tantle or the saiga unless it's been converted. I'm kind of expecting overpriced 74s, but I really never went to gun shows around me looking to buy something other than a Kar98k, and those were always overpriced.

Thanks for the help in advance, sorry if my wording may be confusing, I'm sending this from my crappy iPhone.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Take a quick scroll through this and see if anything interests you.

ETA: I would personally look for an SGL-31 or a Tantal. Those will be prevalent at shows. Most others will have to be ordered online.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have read up on it, and I want to get the SGL-31. How much could I expect to pay for a used one? I was thinking somewhere between 500-650, but I don't know shit about used gun pricing, haha.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have read up on it, and I want to get the SGL-31. How much could I expect to pay for a used one? I was thinking somewhere between 500-650, but I don't know shit about used gun pricing, haha.

I wouldn't pay more than $700 for one used, since you can get them new for $800.

ETA: Depends on how much it was used and what condition, but $700 tops is what I would pay. Try to haggle $650 if you can find one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think you'd have a hard time finding a used one for much less than $700.  

Assuming that any used SGL-31 you might find hasn't seen a gazillion rounds shot through it*, the intrinsic value of these rifles simply doesn't drop all that much from the original purchase price.

* We all know that no used rifle for sale has EVER had more than 300 rounds shot through it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
That's what I noticed when I was looking at used glocks as well, and the prices were hardly any cheaper than a brand new one. Having an arsenal Ak isn't that big of a factor, but I don't want a price of junk, BUT I don't want to spend more than $550... I don't think I'll be able to find a good 74 at that price unless I went with a Tantle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's what I noticed when I was looking at used glocks as well, and the prices were hardly any cheaper than a brand new one. Having an arsenal Ak isn't that big of a factor, but I don't want a price of junk, BUT I don't want to spend more than $550... I don't think I'll be able to find a good 74 at that price unless I went with a Tantle.

Tantals should be fine, Century will warranty one year from purchase if you have problems. And you can always swap the stock for a fixed one if you hate sidefolders. They can be had for $400, which leaves room for ammo and mags in your budget.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I could go for a Tantle if I had to, but I'd prefer to stick with original look of the AK-74. Are the interarms fairly common?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I could go for a Tantle if I had to, but I'd prefer to stick with original look of the AK-74. Are the interarms fairly common?

Not outside of Atlantic or RRC Firearms. If you want one, you are best to order it from Atlantic, as they give an ARF discount. If they are out of stock, RRC is good to go as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Arms of America contracts with Elk River Tool and Die and they have 74s wtih Weiger barrel.

They are based in Colorado Springs , CO. Check them out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't pay more than $700 for one used, since you can get them new for $800.

ETA: Depends on how much it was used and what condition, but $700 tops is what I would pay. Try to haggle $650 if you can find one.

You must be joking. $650 for a lightly used SGL31? I think $750 to $800 is still the norm. If you buy a new rifle you're going to be hitting around $875-900 depending on shipping, tax, background, FFL transfer fee, etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must be joking. $650 for a lightly used SGL31? I think $750 to $800 is still the norm. If you buy a new rifle you're going to be hitting around $875-900 depending on shipping, tax, background, FFL transfer fee, etc.

Not joking. I don't see the reason to pay $750 used for a rifle I can get $850 new.

ETA: Also never specified "lightly used". Don't know where you got that from.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#12]
You've got to pay to play. Low end century builds with non-chromed bores warrant a $450 price tag, but if you want a better finish and chromed bore I would look at a Waffen Werks. If you look around hard enough you could find a Romanian AK74 for around $550.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not joking. I don't see the reason to pay $750 used for a rifle I can get $850 new.

Well, then you are market blind.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever the hell that means.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever the hell that means.

Just like it reads. A $100 off of a rifle with 100 rounds or less down the tube is a good deal. And your $850 is a rough estimate. With the recent price hike you'd be lucky if you could get one new for $850 brand new. If you buy in person it's going to be a good chunk more. When all is said and done you're going to be closer to $900. $750 sounds pretty fair to me. Keep living in your wonderland.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Look at the new M10-545.  It is a new Romanian 5.45, for about $569.  If I wanted a new 5.45 rifle with ComBloc barrel right now, and didn't want to spend much, that's probably what I'd get.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:07:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Any of you guys try one of these out?

Arms of America AK-74 Weiger Barrel

Bulgarian AKM-74 Classic with RARE brand new Military Weiger hammer forged barrel

$629

These rifles were an exclusive run built for AOA by Elk River Tool & Die whom also manufactures the receiver.  These rifles feature a rare virgin Military Chrome Lined Barrel! parkerized finish, Tapco G2 Double hook trigger, side rail mount for optics, US Magazine, the original furniture never refinished, and a limited lifetime warranty.  This rifle was built to be tough, accurate, original, and of course to be passed down to generations to come!  Includes FREE Plano Protector Series Rifle Hard Case
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top