Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/8/2012 12:07:48 PM EDT
Pondering the thought of adding a semi-auto 7.62x54R chambered rifle to my collection... (if I can still locate a decent quality and reasonably priced one?)

Lookin' for advice from those of you who are knowledgeable with these rifle variants.

What to look for when considering a purchase, what to avoid, ect...?

If you have 1 or 2 in your personal arsenal, I would love to see some pix too
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/141292_AAR___Behind_Lines_Winter_Class_28JAN12_Sayre_PA.html

Funny you should mention that, I just got back from a class

I'll throw my .02 in later tonight after work

Z
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics of mine can be found in the EE... where it's for sale
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you specifically want one of the SVD/PSL styled rifles?

My personal favorite of the x54r semi-autos has always been the SVT 40.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
There are also 7.62x54r Veprs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Damcv62 is in Poland trying to get dragunov's imported.....along with 55 million rounds of 5.56

Thread here
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
last svds I saw on gb were around 6-8k, psl's  go for $800 at atlantic firearms, NDMs for around $4500-5k on gb
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Waffen Werks AK-54R:

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
NDM86

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate all the replies so far guy's!

TX-Zen - Thanks for the link to "class" and all the sweet eye-candy photo's!

dskeet - Nice rifle, but way out of my price range at the moment... best of luck with the sale.

Emegbers - I would really prefer something that will readily accept a mounted optic.

Liquidmetal - I was unaware of the 7.62x54R VEPR... I will add it to my list of possible candidates.

Finslayer - Finger's crossed Damcv62 make's a sucessful and safe journey, with any luck he will help re-flood the current US market and drive some prices down! (at least for a short while)

Killjoy - I should have done a bit more research into current value's before posting... SVD's and NDM's are apparantly way out of my financial reach for now.

pc299 - I do love the look of the sporterized AK54R's! Read a couple old threads where they (Waffen Werks) were having QC issue's with a few of the early versions... are the newest version's GTG?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Liquidmetal - I was unaware of the 7.62x54R VEPR... I will add it to my list of possible candidates.

I think those are probably the best option as far as quality and price go.  They are somewhere, quality and price wise, in the middle of a PSL and a Tiger or NDM.  Much cheaper than the SVD's, but also much nicer than a PSL for not much more money.  I almost got one instead of my current NDM, just wanted to wait and see what stock options came out for them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

pc299 - I do love the look of the sporterized AK54R's! Read a couple old threads where they (Waffen Werks) were having QC issue's with a few of the early versions... are the newest version's GTG?

I *think* mine is one of the early batches and it's been 100%, but I've only put a tin of 7.62x54R through it sofar.

You could ask Atlantic Firearms how they've been, I think they're the major or possibly only dealer that sells them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]

The most affordable would be a PSL between $700-$1000 new.  I got mine for $700 and slowly added on furniture.   I'm pretty happy with my PSL.  They are fun to shoot!!    I would love to own a Izhmash SVD or Tiger..  But, even if I have the CASH,  I wouldn't want to pay $5000 - $10,000 for just a 1 rifle.   Heck no..  

I'm very happy with my CIA PSL and my Waffen Werks AK-54r.  I've attached pictures.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#13]
to me, that SVD style stock has brought the PSL back to life. The stock that comes with the PSL has to be the most uncomfortable thing on the planet. Looks really islandfocus, what did that set cost and where did you buy it?

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top