Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:20:57 PM EDT
Im an AK noob, but know that they are different types of AKs (Russian/WASR) so what are some of the other types and how do they differ? What types of AKs are best? If they are other threads that already contain this information please link me to it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Start reading threads, very common topic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Most new AK's are either parts kit guns or Saiga conversions.  You won't get a straight answer on which is better, because everyone has a different opinion.

I personally prefer the Saiga conversions like Arsenal rifles because they have a Russian barrel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Start reading threads, very common topic.

+1 Just hang out here in the AK forum, I've learned a lot, some very knowledgeable guys here.

And ignore anything 7n6 says
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
More specifically read the AK reference forum
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If they are other threads that already contain this information please link me to it.

I don't wish to insult you, but do you really think you're the first person ever to ask this question?
Let me make a suggestion: Research the AK rifles which are available. Pick one or more you think you might want. Go to several local stores and at least hold them. Then ask about specific rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be glad to answer your question. The best AKs are the ones manufactured in a European or Asian factory that made the AK military rifles for a particular country and imported into the US with no modifications. These are in two categories; pre-1994 ban and post-1994 ban. The pre-bans look pretty much like the military rifles and the post-bans are sporterized but still the same inside. The post-ban 'sporters' were only allowed in for a couple years until they banned them too, so there aren't many around. Pre-bans are now about $1800, but there are Chinese and Hungarian post-bans from about $500 up. To make these look like pre-bans, they have to be modified to meet the requirements of a law called 922r and can only have so many imported parts from a list of major parts. The other parts have to be USA-made. All newly-made AKs you can buy today are kit guns, made in various garages and shops and are 922r compliant. There are exceptions, like all-USA AKs which have no restrictions but don't seem to be very good either. So if you now want to know which is best out of what you can buy 'new' now, it looks to me like the shop-converted Saigas are pretty much on top of the heap.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So you DIDNT own all of them like you said before you edited it out?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd say start by doing a little bit of reading on the history and evolution of the AK, so you at least know the difference between the AK-47, the AKM, and the AK-74. The link below is a good basic info source.

http://browningmgs.com/T2T3/Kalashnikov.htm

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll be glad to answer your question. The best AKs are the ones manufactured in a European or Asian factory that made the AK military rifles for a particular country and imported into the US with no modifications. These are in two categories; pre-1994 ban and post-1994 ban. The pre-bans look pretty much like the military rifles and the post-bans are sporterized but still the same inside. The post-ban 'sporters' were only allowed in for a couple years until they banned them too, so there aren't many around. Pre-bans are now about $1800, but there are Chinese and Hungarian post-bans from about $500 up. To make these look like pre-bans, they have to be modified to meet the requirements of a law called 922r and can only have so many imported parts from a list of major parts. The other parts have to be USA-made. All newly-made AKs you can buy today are kit guns, made in various garages and shops and are 922r compliant. There are exceptions, like all-USA AKs which have no restrictions but don't seem to be very good either. So if you now want to know which is best out of what you can buy 'new' now, it looks to me like the shop-converted Saigas are pretty much on top of the heap."
Nice reply saxman1. I'd like to add concerning the two receiver types. After the initial  run of military Ak47's which used a hybrid stamped/milled receiver, milled receivers became the chosen receiver type. Milled from a solid block of steel as opposed to a folded sheet metal stamping. Around 1957 the Soviets found ways to address the problems arriving from the stamped receivers and the AKM became general issue. The stamped receivers were more economical to produce and resulted in a slightly lighter rifle. The AKM also fielded other changes such lighter barrel, different stock angles and sights. The Chinese converted to stamped receiver Kalashnikovs without Soviet help and their modernized AK resulted in a stamped receiver AK47, same heavy AK47 barrel, AK47 stock angle, sights, and a slightly thicker 1.5mm receiver instead of the 1mm Soviet/Eastblock standard. Also the Yugoslavians went their own way in a modern Kalashnikov incorporating RPK (squad automatic) receiver and trunion parts. These variations don't mean much when considering a semi only AK as any of the designs are more than capable of semiautomatic fire. Saxman is correct concerning the general state of US produced Ak's and some not being that good. The good news is the design is such that given a good receiver, and the receiver is the heart of any firearm, a small shop or even the fine folks "crafting" AK's at Century Arms seem to be able to produce a decent 7.62 cal. AK. Most of the 5.45 cal seem to be fine but sometimes there are a few design issues that can plague the 5.56 rifles. Again Saxman is correct that the converted Saiges tend to come out nice. Also the products of Arsenal in LV, NV are world class, expensive but very excellent. Also keep in mind the lowly WASR, a Romanian single stack rifle imported and "fixed" by the CAI craftsmen offers a combloc chromed barrel and comblock receiver along with an entry level price. The mag insertion can sometimes be rough and there have been issues of canted sights, even the WASR is known to be reliable, and more accurate than 95% of the people that shoot it. As others have stated, there's a wealth of info here and other places. The Kalashnikov family of small arms is a fascinating subject that you can spend years studying.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]
FInd a day when a bunch of people with AK's are hitting the range buy some ammo and a few guns of your own and do some swapping. Best way to know what you like other than buying and selling over 30 AK's over 10 years and going into debt, after I learned that lesson I only prefer Bulgarian milled.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Best way to know what you like other than buying and selling over 30 AK's over 10 years and going into debt, after I learned that lesson I only prefer Bulgarian milled.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you DIDNT own all of them like you said before you edited it out?

I've owned a few.

Quoted:
FInd a day when a bunch of people with AK's are hitting the range buy some ammo and a few guns of your own and do some swapping. Best way to know what you like other than buying and selling over 30 AK's over 10 years and going into debt, after I learned that lesson I only prefer Bulgarian milled.

Funny, because I've owned about a dozen milled AK's and can't stand them. Everytime I get one, I end up selling it in a few months. My favorite overall are actually the cheap Romanian SAR 1's un-banned with sidefolding stocks. I even like the Romy SAR's more than the Hungarians, Bulgarians, or even Russian AK's. I don't know why that is but they work and work well. My second favorites are the Hungarians followed by the Bulgarians. Wouldn't own modern Russian variant unless they are in 74 pattern. Not a fan of the Chinese guns but I did own quite a few Polytech's and a few Norinco's a while back. Everyone has a preference.

7n6
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]
That is what is great about AK's enough of a variety for everyone to have a preference.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is what is great about AK's enough of a variety for everyone to have a preference.

The best part about AK's is that even shittiest ones will eat any ammo you can find. Not to mention the only real spare parts you might need are an extractor, a firing pin, and maybe a return spring. Every other part pretty much would last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best part about AK's is that even shittiest ones will eat any ammo you can find. Not to mention the only real spare parts you might need are an extractor, a firing pin, and maybe a return spring. Every other part pretty much would last a lifetime.

Exactly! that is why i have a AK for when SHTF and not a AR.

AR is a fine weapon; however the AK is tried and tested and has succeeded in almost all battle/weather condition.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hahaha, not in my experience.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Most new AK's are either parts kit guns or Saiga conversions.  You won't get a straight answer on which is better, because everyone has a different opinion.

I personally prefer the Saiga conversions like Arsenal rifles because they have a Russian barrel.

There are also Romanian and Bulgarian imports that are built "over there" with original barrels.

Quoted:
Let me make a suggestion: Research the AK rifles which are available. Pick one or more you think you might want. Go to several local stores and at least hold them. Then ask about specific rifles.

^^^^This is some good advice.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR is a fine weapon; however the AK is tried and tested and has succeeded in almost all battle/weather condition.

Paging NorCal, paging Mr. NorCal...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem familiar......
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top