Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/15/2011 4:05:06 PM EDT
Why discriminate? Haven't they been sued too much already?

****EDIT....damn misspell
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Academy doesn't sell AK's either. A lot of Wal-marts actually don't sell firearms. Out of the 3 supercenters in my city only one sells firearms, and they only sell hunting type rifles. I guess they go for more generalized sales within a specific region. I don't have a definite answer
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The closest to Walmart in terms of large store chain that sells AKs would be Dunham's.

I could see Academy possibly selling WASRs.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If China was still importing AK's Walmart would be selling them.

Probably for about $199.

Polytech underfolders on Rollback this week.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Probably for about $199.

Now that thought makes me happy.  I think I felt something move in my pants.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably for about $199.

Now that thought makes me happy.  I think I felt something move in my pants.

dont get a full stiffy just yet, we would need to have china's favored nation status revoked...and that will never happen
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I doubt AK's.  Maybe Saiga's though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]
AKs are sold in Big 5s here in CA. That being said, I hear they are awful. The one I saw looked rather low end and had a bunch of cheap furniture on it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I doubt AK's.  Maybe Saiga's though.

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure they want 'NIB' on their shelves.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#9]
As I understand Walmart's policy is to not sell what some folks would call assault rifles.  ARs have become fairly mainstream and I think Walmart is using that to rationalize carrying them in their stores.  Walmart looks for reasons to carry items that are in demand by the public.  I have no problem with them carrying ARs.

My personal opinion is no gun is bad, it's the person using it.  That said most consider the AK the bad boys' gun so I doubt Walmart will start carrying them anytime soon.  Having said that if the demand is there and they can justify a reason to the public, their board, and shareholders who knows.  After all how many folks would have thought a year ago you could buy an AR style firearm at your local Supercenter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#10]
It would be great to see the liberals heads explode though
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It would be great to see the liberals heads explode though

Haha, your speaking figuratively not literally, right?
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't feel bad... On military posts the only rifles they won't sell are AK's.

Dunno why...
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I see cheapo aks minus the pistol grip too when i lived in ca
Quoted:
AKs are sold in Big 5s here in CA. That being said, I hear they are awful. The one I saw looked rather low end and had a bunch of cheap furniture on it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Other than Saiga (and possibly Arsenal), I don't know of any other commercial factories that could produce enough AK's to qualify for WalMart's distribution levels.   Add Polytech & Norinco to that list if they are ever allowed to export AK's to the US again.  

Allow Remington to slap their names on the Saiga's and I could easily see the "unconverted" rifles at the Walmarts around here.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#15]
For the longest time Gander Mountain would not carry ak style rifles.  Low and behold, about 4-5 months ago they started carrying CAI wasr rifles.  The one I saw and felt up in their store was a pretty nice piece too.  But felt they were overpriced at around $525 sticker price.  You never know what companies will do to stay current and making money.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Other than Saiga (and possibly Arsenal), I don't know of any other commercial factories that could produce enough AK's to qualify for WalMart's distribution levels.   Add Polytech & Norinco to that list if they are ever allowed to export AK's to the US again.  

Allow Remington to slap their names on the Saiga's and I could easily see the "unconverted" rifles at the Walmarts around here.

Arsenal? Are you nuts? I bet that for every one Arsenal AK that gets shipped out the door, there are twenty Century WASRs going out the door. I agree with you about the Saigas. Maybe you meant Arsenal of Bulgaria? But I don't think that they would be capable either; just look at how difficult it is to get an SLR now. They don't seem to have a ton of interest in the U.S. market
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say yes but not to centerfire ak's probably a .22 variant of some kind.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you meant Arsenal of Bulgaria? But I don't think that they would be capable either; just look at how difficult it is to get an SLR now.

Yes, I was referring to the Bulgarians.  Although they don't currently have the production, they certainly have the capacity.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Walmart can't sell AK's - we banned China for importing them!! (of all things)
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Not an actual AK but I was suprised when my local Academy had a nice CZ VZ 58 next to some garden variety AR-15s. It sat there forever and once I ponied up the cash....gone! The story of my life.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I beleive if left in the terms of sporting firearms we should be fine as already said saiga may fill this void my wall-mart has not had guns in over 10years and they now have an add where you can order some they had a plain ol henry .22 lever gun that looks nice but unless I can check it before I buy no way. maybe soon enough. I will watch and see!
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]

"Don't feel bad... On military posts the only rifles they won't sell are AK's.

Dunno why..."

Not true. The Base Exchange on FE Warren AFB sells WASR's. They are overpriced unfortunately. They wanted $650 for a Sterling pistol. I think the WASR was about $550.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dunno why..."

Not true. The Base Exchange on FE Warren AFB sells WASR's. They are overpriced unfortunately. They wanted $650 for a Sterling pistol. I think the WASR was about $550.

Check again... The PX here was selling WASR's until about 4 months ago when they pulled it. About that time I had tried to order an SGL-31 thru them and was told that AAFES no longer would stock or handle orders for AK style rifles. If yours still has one, it is probably because they already had it in prior to this change in policy.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno why..."

Check again... The PX here was selling WASR's until about 4 months ago when they pulled it. About that time I had tried to order an SGL-31 thru them and was told that AAFES no longer would stock or handle orders for AK style rifles. If yours still has one, it is probably because they already had it in prior to this change in policy.

Odd. Personally I feel the AR-15 is a more "mean" looking rifle.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 3:12:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I think it may have more to.do.with the AK being the 'enemy's weapon.'
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't feel bad... On military posts the only rifles they won't sell are AK's.

Dunno why...

Both Ft. Carson and Ft. Knox carry AK's.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dunno why..."

If you say so. I haven't been out there in about six months. It wouldn't surprise me.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top