Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 8:11:04 PM EDT
I would like a set of furniture that:

1. Actually guards the hand from the inferno caused by 3 mags worth of fired ammo

2. Is not some funky whiz-bang AR-style quad rail

Is there some plastic/synthetic set that offers more than a marginal improvement without going free-float, quad-rail, spork 'n remote $200+ aluminum?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Gloves. Use them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I've thought about lining the lower handguard with heat insulation like used on automotive headers and such.  Haven't done it, not sure holding heat in is a
good idea.  Is a thought though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much you can do about it, as AK handguards just get plain hot after about 60 rounds of continued fire. I can tell you that bakelite handguards are supposed to be better for heat management. The only one's I'm aware of are the Bulgarian bakelite one's that are actually for milled receivers. The only other thing I can think of is handguards made of Delrin, as its supposed to be the most heat resistant resin polymer available. I know that Auto Burst made/makes them for the Krinkov, but I'm not sure if the offer them for standard AKM rifles. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Your'e pretty much stuck with the heat issue .... most prefer holding on to the mag while shooting
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your'e pretty much stuck with the heat issue .... most prefer holding on to the mag while shooting

Exactly what I do when the sucker gets hot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you using now?

I like the Arsenal synthetic hand guards because they do have a legit heat shield inside them, and they don't have that "Tac-Rail" look. I have a set on my Draco and had a factory set on my SLR-95. And that SLR-95 was my first bumpfire gun and I never felt it unreasonable to hold on to the weapon.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=686494

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:37:58 AM EDT
[#7]
My Bulgarian polymer handguards have a metal heatshield and work quite well at insulating my support hand. On my other AKs, I just hold the mag.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Arsenal/K-Var handguards are the absolute best. Get them, they're worth it, your hands will stay cool.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm of the consensus to use the newer poly...

Also try a mag hold:

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#10]
The Romanians and the Hungarians both solved this problem decades ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]
East German AKM bakelite lower if you want bakelite for stamped rec.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw a rifle go boom and blow the mag out once, cured me of holding the mag on anything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#13]
romy g dong. lower hand gaurd no heat issue for hand
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Kyron4 beat me to it ... so +1 what he says about East German furniture which I assume is made up with bakelite.

When compariing price points too the East German comes out on top. Yet there are detractors so some will poo poo this ComBloc solution. Me? I'm perfectly happy with East German gear yet do admit I purchased several furniture sets way back-in-the-day when it was very inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My Bulgarian polymer handguards have a metal heatshield and work quite well at insulating my support hand. On my other AKs, I just hold the mag.

Quoted:
East German AKM bakelite lower if you want bakelite for stamped rec.

I installed DRichs metal shield to kyron4 lower and we shoot this all
day long without burning our hands:

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top