Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/22/2011 6:13:08 AM EDT
Are there different "levels of corrosive" when it comes to the currently available surplus ammo out there?

I've never shot any of it but it's becoming tempting with the availability of it floating around out there for a good price.
I have a couple cases of that Yugo, brass-cased stuff that comes loaded on stripper-clips in 40-rnd boxes. 1120 rnds per case. It's says "corrosive primers" in the description at the ammo store... So does that mean that it's less corrosive than other corrosive types of ammo out there since just the primers are corrosive?

I've never seen this topic dragged up and gone through so thought I'd ask.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:17:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Corrosive ammo is corrosive because it has corrosive primers.  So the Yugo isn't any more or less corrosive than the rest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
How quickly corrosion sets in and how fast it proceeds has more to do with the relative humidity after the rifle is fired than with the compound used in the corrosive primer.
Corrosive primers leave behind salts. Salts attract water. Water + steel = corrosion. When there's more water in the air corrosion starts sooner and proceeds faster.
Some people do not understand the process and believe that some primers are "mildly corrosive".
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
It should be added that dealing with corrosive ammo is a very simple matter as well.  As long as you are willing to clean your gun after a shooting session, you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The term "mildly corrosive" is a marketing term.  The companies using that term use it because those words tend to sell more rounds.

It makes sense though.  If they would've used "hellishly corrosive" instead you wouldn't be tempted to buy it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#5]
It's like saying "mildly pregnant".
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's like saying "mildly pregnant".

lol

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much all of the ammunition used by third world conscripts is corrosive. They seem to be doing just fine with it. Hell look at Vietnam. Their ammunition was corrosive, and you know it was humid there. Their rifles still functioned fine.

Just clean your weapon the same day you shoot it and try to keep it dry and you will be fine too. I always like to use WD40 and just spray a little bit on the internals and gas system after I am done shooting. I really don't know if it helps any at all but it makes me feel better and I have never had a problem. But I always clean within the same day of shooting corrosive ammo.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top