Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/30/2011 7:52:35 PM EDT
I know there are a few out there who use and/or train with the Kalashnikov.

Any of you guys know who they are? I would like to compile a list.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard of familiarization with an AK as a threat weapon, but I never heard of a department that uses them for duty use.

That sounds crazy if you ask me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
AK is too commie looking for a US LEO to bring along. Even tnough theres nothing wrong with it,  the  public perception scould raise many  questions.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
+1.  I think there are some that use them for familiarization but not as a duty weapon.  It would be a bad idea if they did, I think.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember seeing a Galil SBR derivitive used by the Cumberland County (Ft. Bragg, Fayetteville) Sheriffs Department.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Some of the county cops around here use to take their AK and put in the trunk of their car when they punched in for work but that was some time ago .
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't the Alaska State Police use the Valmet at one point in time? Or was that just in testing?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#7]
No U.S. Law Enforcement has widely adopted the AK as a duty weapon, the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) of some of the smaller agencies have allowed  their officers to carry a personally owned AK while on duty, in the trunk. These are usually set up in  tactical configuration and are semi autos, 922r compliant, and used primarily in rural areas.

I have built (Overland Industries) several of these configurations with top quality new parts, additional modification for improved reliability and accuracy, faster mag changes, quad rail for tailoring the configuration easily, ergonomic modifications, and are in 7.62 x 39 caliber, these have been carried for years and none have ever been fired on duty.

Since these rifles are owned by the officers they still use them for target practice and sporting use. Many of these officers have registered SBR's in their collections however, they never use or take them while on duty. These rifles are not built as Sporter rifles as the officer may have their life on the line and a failure is not an option.

Most SWAT teams will use AR's (and an occasional FAL, M-40, or another rifle that has been approved for their use) some in full auto however, most in semi auto with the Colt 6920 being the most socially accepted choice. The Smith and Wesson M&P is also starting to gain more acceptance along with other M&P models being used. The reason for this choice is most LEO's have a U.S. military background and are familiar with the AR and therefore the AR makes for an easy choice. So this choice is highly political.

The main reason for the decision to not allow field officers to carry a high powered rifles (other than the old shotgun) is the legal liability (plus most departments do not have the budget for these additional purchases). Even when the officers are willing to pay for their own firearm, many CLEO's are not willing to accept the liability or present the offer to the City Manager or the City Council for their approval (they usually turn the request down). One collateral injury would likely end the careers of the CLEO, the City Manager, and the City Counsel/Mayor (their logic, why chance it?) from a lawsuit.

In the European theater, Krinkov's and UZI are a very common sight used by many of the Law Enforcement Agencies (not just Interpol) as a everyday weapon and no one even looks twice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
additional modification for improved reliability and accuracy, faster mag changes, .

I am curious to know about this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]
There was an agency over in Alabama who's CLEO equipped his force with AKs awhile back...........I believe it was Marshall County
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No U.S. Law Enforcement has widely adopted the AK as a duty weapon, the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) of some of the smaller agencies have allowed  their officers to carry a personally owned AK while on duty, in the trunk. These are usually set up in  tactical configuration and are semi autos, 922r compliant, and used primarily in rural areas.

I have built (Overland Industries) several of these configurations with top quality new parts, additional modification for improved reliability and accuracy, faster mag changes, quad rail for tailoring the configuration easily, ergonomic modifications, and are in 7.62 x 39 caliber, these have been carried for years and none have ever been fired on duty.

Since these rifles are owned by the officers they still use them for target practice and sporting use. Many of these officers have registered SBR's in their collections however, they never use or take them while on duty. These rifles are not built as Sporter rifles as the officer may have their life on the line and a failure is not an option.

Most SWAT teams will use AR's (and an occasional FAL, M-40, or another rifle that has been approved for their use) some in full auto however, most in semi auto with the Colt 6920 being the most socially accepted choice. The Smith and Wesson M&P is also starting to gain more acceptance along with other M&P models being used. The reason for this choice is most LEO's have a U.S. military background and are familiar with the AR and therefore the AR makes for an easy choice. So this choice is highly political.

The main reason for the decision to not allow field officers to carry a high powered rifles (other than the old shotgun) is the legal liability (plus most departments do not have the budget for these additional purchases). Even when the officers are willing to pay for their own firearm, many CLEO's are not willing to accept the liability or present the offer to the City Manager or the City Council for their approval (they usually turn the request down). One collateral injury would likely end the careers of the CLEO, the City Manager, and the City Counsel/Mayor (their logic, why chance it?) from a lawsuit.

In the European theater, Krinkov's and UZI are a very common sight used by many of the Law Enforcement Agencies (not just Interpol) as a everyday weapon and no one even looks twice.

I would have to disagree with the bolded.  Today, I would say a majority of cops have no military experience.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The Caddo Parish Sheriff's office srt(swat) team used to be issued full auto micro galils. Now they have 11.5 in colts. I got to shoot the micro galil when I was in the academy, it was pretty cool! I don't know of any that issue aks as a patrol rifle. My agency does not issue a patrol rifle but we can carry our own if we want. I use a sbr dpms lower with an lmt 10.5 upper. We can use an ak if we want as long as it is 5.56.

James
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have to disagree with the bolded.  Today, I would say a majority of cops have no military experience.

Yeah, you're right. Most cops are a bunch of college boys or affirmative action hires who know nothing about firearms other than their mediocre academy training. The one's I've seen on the range can't hit the broadside of a barn. All the more reason why I do not believe in dialing 911.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you're right. Most cops are a bunch of college boys or affirmative action hires who know nothing about firearms other than their mediocre academy training. The one's I've seen on the range can't hit the broadside of a barn. All the more reason why I do not believe in dialing 911.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Until two years ago our local Sheriffs Dept. could carry any legal privately owned 5.56/.223 they owned while on duty, if they could qual once a year with it. Several carried carried AR's some carried Ruger Mini 14's and one carried a Galil and another had an Arsenal in 5.56. They standardized some time in 09' with HK G-36K's with the happy switch.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top