Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/27/2011 10:37:02 AM EDT
Looking for the above. Checked out arsenal but they want another grand just to have a milled receiver, seems a little steep to me. I saw a few bulgarian milled rifles for the 500-600 range but with the lack of QC on many of the AK systems that I read about I wanted to know what the more cost effective firearms is going to be.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#1]
THere aren't any factory made AK74's with milled receivers.  The milled receiver was long out of production when the AK74 was made.

The only thing out there is from Lancaster Arms (avoid like the plague) and a very very small amount of milled 74's made by Ohio Rapid Fire several years ago.  I've only ever seen one for sale.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#2]
CNC warrior I think has milled rec. for sale.

here\
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
OK then, what about -47's with milled receivers?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking for the above. Checked out arsenal but they want another grand just to have a milled receiver, seems a little steep to me. I saw a few bulgarian milled rifles for the 500-600 range but with the lack of QC on many of the AK systems that I read about I wanted to know what the more cost effective firearms is going to be.

Which milled Bulgarian 74s for $500-600 are you speaking of? Got a link?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Just out of curiosity, why do you want a milled receiver?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Arsenal SAM series rifles have butter smooth actions and superb Quality Control. Yes they are expensive but you have to look at the manufacturing process of milling a solid piece of steel. Arsenal also imported very limited numbers of 5.56 milled RPK's if you have the cash.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Best two choices for those without breaking the bank is the SLR-100 or SLR-100H and the Century 1960 Polish rifles.  Those are about $900 and $600 respectively.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#8]
could I build a Bulgarian kit with one of these milled 5.45 receivers???
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
could I build a Bulgarian kit with one of these milled 5.45 receivers???

Yes this receiver is compatible with stamped kits

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, why do you want a milled receiver?

I was about to ask the same question, I understand that the milled receivers look good and all that, But I have shot both flavors of the 47 and can tell you the milled does not do anything better than the stamped and are usually about a pound heavier than a stamped rifle.  

Alot of people who come from the AR world to the AK world have a hard time accepting a stamped receiver (myself included) but once you shoot both you will see what I'm saying.

But if you still want a milled rifle and don't want to drop well over $1200 for it, I suggest a Polish milled from Atlantic, and if you have any problems they will make it right for you in short order.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

An excellent option is right here.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all for the info.

I want milled because I feel its a more solid base to work off of. Yes I know its heavier.

I come from my AR, but also wanted a cheap-shooting plinker that wasn't .22. I was really looking for a 5.45x39 since the ammo is so cheap and I could bring friends to the range and let them got at it without aring about my bank account or charging them an arm and a leg. I know everyone points to Arsenal, but for just sub-1000 I could built another AR in 5.45. It may be the AR guy, but an AK shouldn't be 90% to a well built AR, especially not on a riveted sheet metal reciever.

Please keep up the suggestions for both 7.62 and 5.45.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
my opinion, build whatever you want.

I like the CNC receiver, even considered using it myself, still might. My other opinion is, I think you being an AR guy will appreciate the 5.45 more than the 7.62. It will perform more to the level you are use to. At longer ranges, the 7.62 is kinda like shooting artillery, it has an arc. (I'm being a bit facetious)  

The only issue I have is to build a 74 on that receiver will require you to use a milled receiver butt stock, which detracts from what 74 is "suppose" to look like. But hey, it's just looks, not function.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
my opinion, build whatever you want.

I like the CNC receiver, even considered using it myself, still might. My other opinion is, I think you being an AR guy will appreciate the 5.45 more than the 7.62. It will perform more to the level you are use to. At longer ranges, the 7.62 is kinda like shooting artillery, it has an arc. (I'm being a bit facetious)  

The only issue I have is to build a 74 on that receiver will require you to use a milled receiver butt stock, which detracts from what 74 is "suppose" to look like. But hey, it's just looks, not function.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I have to look around a bit much. I'm still newish to the gun smithing part of the sport, so needing to put a whole rifle together is a bit of a mouthful to bite off. If I could find a deceent whole rifle then I'd be OK with that. And points in the right direction for more info on building are appreciated.

Not trying to get the "AK look", as long as it works I'm OK with it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top