Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2011 6:30:36 AM EDT
The polish tantal it says its "US made" from centerfire systems or the bulgarin made by century but sold by centerfire systems.  I was interested in getting a cheap 5.45x39 and I've like dealing with centerfire systems so far.  Wanting to keep it cheap so your thoughts guys.  Or any better ideas for less than $500 would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I definitely wouldn't get the Tantal, non chrome lined US barrel notorious for keyholing.

OTH I probably wouldn't get a really cheap 5.45 Century gun either, if it were me I'd scour the EE and find a used SLR105 instead. Creme de la creme of the 5.45 world and you can find them around $650 with a little luck. I've seen two or three go at that price in the past 6-8 months.

Z
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I definitely wouldn't get the Tantal, non chrome lined US barrel notorious for keyholing.

OTH I probably wouldn't get a really cheap 5.45 Century gun either, if it were me I'd scour the EE and find a used SLR105 instead. Creme de la creme of the 5.45 world and you can find them around $650 with a little luck. I've seen two or three go at that price in the past 6-8 months.

Z

Those SLR-105s have become unobtanium.  I don't think I've seen more than 2 sell at all in the last 6 months.  There was one guy who occasionally puts his up for sale for $1000 and then takes it down when no one bites.  Their quality is what makes the owners want to keep them.  So it's hard to get one second hand.

Yeah but then you only save $150 from the SGL-31.

For $650, you could convert a Saiga 5.45

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent points, particularly about converting a Saiga. I tend to forget about that because I prefer the full 74 package like the 105 or SGL31 but converted sporters are very functional and IMO a better buy than the lower end kit guns. $650 will do the conversion nicely, but it could be done for about $100 more than the budget 5.45's which to me is totally worth it.

eta: I don't know about them being unobtainium...rare yes but as I mentioned I've seen three of them go fairly recently. GB is not the place to look of course and you will definitely see the $1000 priced ones in the EE also, but with patience the good prices should come along at some point.

[hijack]

OTOH for me spending $150 more than a used 105 to get to an SGL31 isn't worth it, in my honest opinion the SLR105 is a better built rifle all things considered.

I have the original SGL31-44, an SGL31-61 and my old and trusty SLR105 from 2005. The 105 is a nicer rifle, it's butter smooth, everything fits and it field strips easily. As I've said before the SGL31's are much tighter and stiffer by comparison. My 31-44 is actually somewhat of a PITA to field strip and despite how many rounds I've put down range it isn't loosening up much. The 31-61 is breaking in and doing much better, but neither are as well fitted as the 105. That being said you can't argue with the Russian pedigree which is important to me...who can argue with owning a semi auto factory built AK74M? Worth every penny, but I still believe the 105 is better built.

Granted the 31-44 was the first 5.45 SGL to come in and my 31-61 is older as well, so maybe the newer batches particularly the 31-94 are smoother and better fitted.

[/hijack]

Z
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a WASR-2 since you want to stay under $500. Any cosmetic deficiencies are made up for by the chrome-lined, hammer-forged, proper-spec Romanian barrel.

Link
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct911.aspx
lots of folks have purchased these and are very happy with them .
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct911.aspx
lots of folks have purchased these and are very happy with them .

I think those are the same Bulgarian AK-74's that Centerfire has. If so the reports of keyholing seem to have increased in the last few months. I have one of these http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct949.aspx and although I only have a few hundred rounds through it I've had no problems so far although like all American kit guns there are some lemons out there. Someone mentioned a WASR 2 that would be a good option to any American kit gun simply because of the original com-bloc barrel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get a WASR-2 since you want to stay under $500. Any cosmetic deficiencies are made up for by the chrome-lined, hammer-forged, proper-spec Romanian barrel.

Link

+1.  If I absolutely had to stay under $500, the WASR-2 would be the only 5.45 I'd consider.

But I agree with TX-Zen...save up a few more bucks and buy a SLR-105, Saiga, or another 5.45 that isn't a piece of junk.  When it comes to cheap 5.45 rifles, most of them really are "cheap" in the worst sense of the word.  Especially if you plan on keeping the rifle for any length of time, paying a little more for quality will be worth it in the long run.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top