Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/15/2011 8:34:29 AM EDT
Can a stamped buttstock be moded to fit a milled receiver? Other than Tantals and Yugos, are the majority of hand guards interchangable with stamped and milled receivers?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The stock is a negative.  There are a lot of differences.  The part the goes into the receiver is completely different, the angle of the rear of the receiver is different, and the tangs are completely different.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The stock is a negative.  There are a lot of differences.  The part the goes into the receiver is completely different, the angle of the rear of the receiver is different, and the tangs are completely different.

Thank you.  The HG's should be ok, unless the barrel diameter is different (Saiga .308's) though, correct?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually it can be done. I have seen it several times in afghanistan, the results are not pretty. But, functional.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  The HG's should be ok, unless the barrel diameter is different (Saiga .308's) though, correct?

The issue with the handguards is that the rectangle piece to the rear of the lower handguard that goes into the receiver are different sizes.  The milled ones are smaller than stamped.

So, theoretically you should be able to tweak them to fit.  Remove some material from the stamped ones to go on milled, or glue some shims to the milled one and shape it to the right size so it'll fit snugly in stamped receiver.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually it can be done. I have seen it several times in afghanistan, the results are not pretty. But, functional.

Well yeah, with enough hacking it up anything can be made to fit pretty much anything.  I've seen shovel handles made into AK stocks before.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no desire to hack up a good set of furniture, so I'll go the proper route.  Thanks for the info guys.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top