Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 8:40:07 AM EDT
I received my Waffen Werks AK-74 from Atlantic a few days ago, along with a spam can and some mags from AIM. This wasn't my first time dealing with Atlantic. They were extremely helpful in helping me find the right AK-74 for my price range.
Here is the URL and description to the rifle:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct979.aspx
AK 74 Rifle Classic Waffen Werks 5.45 x 39 High Quality Semi Auto Rifle , These are Premium AK 74 rifles built using 100% new Bulgarian parts kits and required US parts. The rifles are beautifully finished with KG Gun cote . They are backed up by a 1 year factory warranty from Waffen Werks.

All NEW parts
New Chrome lined barrel
Bayonet lug
Removable AK74 Brake/ Flash hider
Beautiful KG Gun Cote finish
G2 Fire control
Side rail for scope mount
Comes with 1-30 round mag
Ships in padded rifle case for safe transit & storage
Military Surplus wood stock set rated  NRA good to very good & may have color variations.

The rifle came in a Gun Guard Plano case with a 30 round ProMag magazine. According to Atlantic, the gun is built from an all new parts kit (Bulgarian) with the required US parts, all new chrome lined barrel (assuming it's US made, but not entirely sure), and military surplus wood stocks. The stock set I received on the rifle was in pretty good shape, but I do plan to refinish them. The rifle came with a nice KG Gun Cote finish which seems to be pretty tough. The rifle also came with a Tapco G2 trigger that is smooth and crisp.

There is no cant or twist to the rifle. Everything seems to be straight and true as well as tight. This rifle has no mag wobble, and the gas tube take down lever was very tight. I ended up using a nylon hammer to move it. The rivets were pressed nicely as well.

I don't exactly understand the receiver markings. Nodak Spud makes the receiver, but why is it stamped "TGI KNOX, TN"?

Stamped on the rear sight block is Waffen Werks.

It seems like the gun was built from a matching parts kit. The trunnion, dust cover, bolt, and bolt carrier all have the same numbers. You can barely make out the "305" on the bolt carrier.

Again, the wood is in pretty good shape. I plan on refinishing it to a russian red. I'm not to fond of the fiberglass pistol grip, either. I ended up ordering an AKM pistol grip from Ironwood Designs out of their woodpile.

Before all these pictures were taken, I fired off 210 rounds of surplus ammo through it without a single problem. No key holing and the groups were what I expected. Overall, I'm very happy with this rifle. I couldn't ask for anything more.

If you have any questions or want me to take pictures of something else, just ask. I'm going to upload some pictures of the rifle when the stock set gets refinished. I will also post a detailed range report in a week or so.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle.  Thanks for the review.

I believe your receiver is stamped "TGI", because TGI ordered a bunch of NoDak receivers and then backed out of the order.  Or at least, that's sort of how I remember it.  NoDak offered the receivers to others.  Looks like Waffen Werks picked some of them up. (If I'm incorrect on any of these details, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:43:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is close, but not exact.

The receivers that these guns are built on were sold and shipped directly to TGI.

We have not shipped any of them to Waffen Werks.

The vast majority of the AK-74 receivers we were stuck with have been going out to end users for home builds, not manufactures.

We would like to see more sales to manufactures so we can get them out of here.

ETA: according to the response I got from ATF Tech Branch, the TGI markings should have been covered or removed before they were sold to another party.

That is what we have been doing to our remaining inventory.

Is there anything I need to do about these markings then? I want to remove the TGI markings anyways, how would I go about doing this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
good looking rifle!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is there anything I need to do about these markings then?

You are not required to remove the markings, since you are simply a non-licensee purchaser.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top