Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/30/2011 2:36:30 PM EDT
Hey everyone, first post here and new to AK type guns.  I have a WASR 10 7.62 with an extending stock that i would like to sight in.   My question is, i really dont want to start with the rear sight on 1 or 0 but rather 6 or 7, then adjust the front post after having the rear sight set.  When the rear sight is on anything less than 5, it is difficult for me to sight targets in.  So my question is if i sighted the front post in with the rear sight preset to 7 at 100 yards, would i get dependable shots at 100 yards, and if i then move the sight to 8, would that be a 200 yard shot?  I am not interested in any shot over 300 yards anyway.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I understand what you're trying to ask.

My personal opinion is what you're trying will not work correctly, the sights are calibrated at those various distances and each increment means a unique angle in which the gun is held.

My personal opinion is that all of these old school large distance rear sights are garbage as far as their estimation of the zero at various distances.

IMO your best bet with all these guns is to just have a basic understanding of trajectory and zeroing a firearm and from there sight it in at 100 yards and understand how much bullet drop your that ammo has at various usable distances.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I find the Romanian stock does not allow a good head position for viewing the sights. Replacement stocks are available which can help.

AK/SKS sights are amoung the worst ever made. The rear notch is only visilbe to 16 year olds. I purchased a Mojo rear sight and am very happy with it. It's totally adjustable for windage and elevation. I had to remove the interior peep and just use the housing to get a good sight picture. The the rear ghost ring is almost identical in circumference with the front sight's protective wings. It works for me.

I think it was $44.00 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The front sight post may not be long enough to zero the rifle a t100 yards with the rear sight set at 700 meters.
If you try, I recommend that you count the number of turns so you can get the post back to approximately the same position if you can't zero it the way you want to.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#4]
If the factory iron sights are too low for you, you may want to explore the possibility of adding some kind of aftermarket sights. There should be plenty of threads on here regarding many different setups.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top