Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 10:18:52 AM EDT
I was looking at a new AK in a pawn shop this morning.  Looking down the barrel, I notice a kind a scratch in the bore around the area where the front sight is. This is not normal, is it?  I ran a patch down there to ensure it was just a fiber/cotton stuck in there, but it did not go away.  I assume this has some impact on the accuracy of the rifle.  Is there a place where you can purchase a newer barrel? Is this too much an issue to not purchase the rifle?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe the chrome lining has flaked & peeled of where u saw that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was looking at a new AK in a pawn shop this morning.  Looking down the barrel, I notice a kind a scratch in the bore around the area where the front sight is. This is not normal, is it?  I ran a patch down there to ensure it was just a fiber/cotton stuck in there, but it did not go away. I assume this has some impact on the accuracy of the rifle.  Is there a place where you can purchase a newer barrel? Is this too much an issue to not purchase the rifle?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

This is a silly question, but are you sure it wasn't the gas port?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
A suspect barrel is cause not to buy that rifle.
There are plenty of AK rifles for sale that you don't need to buy a problem rifle that will either cause you trouble or cost money and effort to correct.

You "can" re-barrel an AK, but first you have to find a good barrel that itself won't be a problem, then you have to fit it to the rifle.  This requires either a gunsmith or the purchase of a number of special tools and a set of head space gages and then learning how to do it.

By the time you pay for a new barrel and installation, you could have bought one of the high quality AK's that are plentiful.

My suggestion:  Pass on this one.  Either keep looking for a good rifle, or just have a dealer order what you want.
AK's range from the lower end Romanian WASR rifles to the mid range current Bulgarian rifles, to the high end Arsenal, Inc Russian made conversion rifles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking at a new AK in a pawn shop this morning.  Looking down the barrel, I notice a kind a scratch in the bore around the area where the front sight is. This is not normal, is it?  I ran a patch down there to ensure it was just a fiber/cotton stuck in there, but it did not go away. I assume this has some impact on the accuracy of the rifle.  Is there a place where you can purchase a newer barrel? Is this too much an issue to not purchase the rifle?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

First AK I ever bought I mistook the gas port for being some crud in the barrel.  It was a way bigger hole that I was used to seeing, so I didn't know what it was at first.

It's an easy mistake to make if you aren't familiar with AKs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First AK I ever bought I mistook the gas port for being some crud in the barrel.  It was a way bigger hole that I was used to seeing, so I didn't know what it was at first.

It's an easy mistake to make if you aren't familiar with AKs.

Yeah, that's why I thought I'd bring it up.  I have done the same when I first got into AK's.  Usually looking at a gun in a pawn shop you may not have the best lighting if they don't happen to have a bore light on hand.

If it is a defect in the chrome-lining, I would pass.  Usually, though, a poorly maintained barrel will have a more uniform amount of pitting rather than just one spot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet what he is seeing is as you guys say, the gas port.  I had two SLR-100H rifles with pitted Hungarian barrels once.  The shot fine.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top