Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/30/2011 6:28:19 AM EDT
If you had a choice of one over the other, what would you choose and why?

Any major differences between the two?  (serious question...I'm trying to learn something here)
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I know, they are the one and the same, primary difference is that the WASR's were originally meant to be single stack magazine fed.  When the Clinton ban lifted, Century imported them and widened the mag well to accept double stack mags. The SAR1's were built to be fed from double stack mags to begin with.  Most SAR 1's that I have handled/seen do not have the bayonet lug and no muzzle brake.  That is all I know...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Having had both rifles I think the SAR is a much better rifle between the two. The receiver is better, has dimples, and wasn't modified from single stack. Finish is much better as well. It doesn't have a bayonet lug or a threaded barrel, but that can be changed. IIRC some of the first batches of SAR rifles had welded pistons because Century got lazy when doing the 922 compliance conversions. Mine are threaded correctly as they were later imports. I have both a SAR 1 and SAR 2. I sold the WASR 10 because I used to money for other projects, not because it sucked. It was a good shooter. My SAR rifles are pretty accurate for AK rifles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies so far.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#4]
SAR-1.

Although there is nothing wrong with a WASR with all the bugs worked out of it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#5]
The SAR series were originally produced as Romanian Military rifles. Seeing the US as a market for money, they ground off the bayonet lug ears, the barrel threads and put in a semi FCG. They were production military weapons "tweaked" for US import. While not the prettiest of rifles, they are some of the strongest, reliable and accurate AK's to come into the US. Retap the barrel for the muzzle brake, either weld up or replace the gas block for the bayonet lug ears, a good refinish of the metal and wood and you have what is arguably one of the best AK's around. Many of the SAR's suffered from "trigger slap". That can be remedied by replacing the FCG with a Tapco G2 or a Red Star Arms trigger kit.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top