Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2011 12:25:24 PM EDT
Well I finally ordered one of these rifles and picked it up yesterday. As you can see I bought the wood stocked model and it came with 1 bakelite magazine an empty fired case but no owners card or manual all packed in a Plano hard rifle case. The bolt itself and front trunnion are matching but the bolt carrier and top cover do not but that's not a big deal to me and the receiver is marked Elk River Houston Tx.. The wood is decently finished and I do like the red and the parkerizing looks good. The rifle arrived bone dry and the splotches you see was me wiping it down a bit with an gun oil wipe. The chamber and bore is indeed chrome lined and as far as I can tell everything looks straight to me with the front sight set right in the middle hopefully it stays close to there after being sighted in. I have a total of 6 AK74 mags 1 that came with the gun and 5 leftovers from my Lancrapster disaster all 6 lock in tight with no side to side wobble nor do they hang down loosely because of a mag catch being too short. I apoligize for not having a range report which I planned to include today but it's been 21 degrees and snowing all day and I didn't want any cold related hiccups on a new gun that hasn't been broken in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
very nice. The only thing I wish all these new 74s had was a finish other than the gray park. Looks good and look forward to a range report.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My only 2 things I can see that detract are it be nice for a park/paint finish instead of just straight park. And I wish they did em on a NDS the receiver they used is fine but those dimples drive me bonkers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the grey park kills it for me too.  Can't stand grey AKs.  It's why I never got a Vector AK.. the grey park just looks cheap.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, the grey park kills it for me too.  Can't stand grey AKs.  It's why I never got a Vector AK.. the grey park just looks cheap.

It's a perfectly good finish, it's just it doesn't look right on an AK.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The rifles were designed to be cost effective so they use park instead of more expensive & tiem consuming  Dura Cote etc they use a mixture of NDS & Elk River Tool & Dye receivers whatever is available and priced right . Yes the item could have  a few nicer features but it woud add to expense and we wanted the rifles to be well under $600 bucks. The idea was to have a rifle with good base features , good warranty  and a few steps above the Century AK74 series and a few steps below the Arsenal offerings.

Yeah I understand that.  It's definitely a more cost effective finish... but at the same time, the Vectors are parked and run $700+.  Thats really not reasonable at all considering they are like only $50 less expensive than an Arsenal SGL series rifle.

But these Interarms AKs seem to be priced right for what you get.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The rifles were designed to be cost effective so they use park instead of more expensive & tiem consuming  Dura Cote etc they use a mixture of NDS & Elk River Tool & Dye receivers whatever is available and priced right . Yes the item could have  a few nicer features but it woud add to expense and we wanted the rifles to be well under $600 bucks. The idea was to have a rifle with good base features , good warranty  and a few steps above the Century AK74 series and a few steps below the Arsenal offerings.

The east bloc rifles rather have an epoxy paint then a duracoat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
to Atlantic:

I agree 100%, just my 2 cents is all. I can always do a refinish on them at home, that's what I'm doing to the RR I got for dirt cheap when it gets back from getting a new stock hardware attached.

I do prefer the NDS dimples too, those others drive me nuts also
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Different dimples than another receiver, grey parking instead of black paint are not issues for me as long as it functions fine and doesn't keyhole.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Is Atlantic firearms the only way to get one of these rifles?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is Atlantic firearms the only way to get one of these rifles?

I think so. Haven't seen them anywhere else.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Different dimples than another receiver, grey parking instead of black paint are not issues for me as long as it functions fine and doesn't keyhole.

Then rock on
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dinnertime we offer discounts to AR15.com members so would be glad to work with you one a rifle if you were interested .

I'v been lusting over these since I initially saw them. Its finally a  affordable good quality 74. I wanted to get one but didn't want a low quality WASR2 or non chrome lines Bulgarian but don't want an expensive SLR or SGL.

I'v never "bought" a gun online, so I will talk to my FFL this week. Anything special I need to know?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well I finally ordered one of these rifles and picked it up yesterday. As you can see I bought the wood stocked model and it came with 1 bakelite magazine an empty fired case but no owners card or manual all packed in a Plano hard rifle case. The bolt itself and front trunnion are matching but the bolt carrier and top cover do not but that's not a big deal to me and the receiver is marked Elk River Houston Tx.. The wood is decently finished and I do like the red and the parkerizing looks good. The rifle arrived bone dry and the splotches you see was me wiping it down a bit with an gun oil wipe. The chamber and bore is indeed chrome lined and as far as I can tell everything looks straight to me with the front sight set right in the middle hopefully it stays close to there after being sighted in. I have a total of 6 AK74 mags 1 that came with the gun and 5 leftovers from my Lancrapster disaster all 6 lock in tight with no side to side wobble nor do they hang down loosely because of a mag catch being too short. I apoligize for not having a range report which I planned to include today but it's been 21 degrees and snowing all day and I didn't want any cold related hiccups on a new gun that hasn't been broken in.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/101akshooter/100_0895.jpg http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/101akshooter/100_0897.jpg http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/101akshooter/100_0898.jpg http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/101akshooter/100_0899.jpg http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/101akshooter/100_0903.jpg http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/101akshooter/100_0906.jpg http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/101akshooter/100_0893-1.jpg

that does look nice - perhaps I need to come visit you for a test drive.  

I have been looking around for another AK and this time I want to go with the 5.45 to break it up a little and this Rifle does look nice.

have to look around and see who has those in Stock

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the review, I've been thinking of branching out into AK-74s.  Can't wait for the range report.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone having trouble getting in touch with Atlantic? I emailed, called and PM'ed the representative here; I have not heard anything back. I did get an email yesterday saying they would be closed this friday, but thats it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Anyone having trouble getting in touch with Atlantic? I emailed, called and PM'ed the representative here; I have not heard anything back. I did get an email yesterday saying they would be closed this friday, but thats it.

I would imagine they've been out for SHOT Show and trying to catch up.  I trust Blaine will be in touch with you shortly.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would imagine they've been out for SHOT Show and trying to catch up.  I trust Blaine will be in touch with you shortly.

I forgot all about the shot show, I'm retarded.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I like the park'd finish.  It gives the camo spray paint job a good bite.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#22]
This is a US made barrel ?

I like that it is chrome lined.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you PM me the AR15.com price?

I want an AK74.  I've already bought 2k of ammo for it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is a US made barrel ?

I like that it is chrome lined.

Yes it is American made and chrome lined. Hopefully it lasts longer than my Lancaster one did . I'll find out Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm new to ak's and was thinking about buying one of these. Does this have the standard Length of pull or is longer (please be longer)?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Atlantic, I hope you didn't take anything I said as negative or rude. How did you appendix removal go?

I look forward to the reply email I sent last week, thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Guys sorry we have been hard to reach I got back from Shot and then ended up in the hospital for 5 days because of my appendix. Our other sales guy Matt had a death in the family and had to go out of town. Communications should be back to normal by Monday. If you need any discount price info please feel free to email [email protected]

Here is hoping to a quick recovery and my regards to good people!

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I hope you're doing better now Blaine I've had a kidney stone blasted and hernia surgery in the last 5 years so you have my sympathy. As promised I went to the range today unfortunately I ended up going to local manned range so my shooting time was limited to an hour and only 75 rounds since I also wanted to do a little pistol shooting. It was 34 degrees with little or no wind kinda perfect actually 30 rounds of Silver Bear 60 gr FMJ, 25 rounds of Wolf Military Classic 60 gr FMJ and 15 rounds of Wolf 70 gr FMJ. NO KEYHOLES at 25 ,50 or 75 yards from any of the ammo nor did I have a FTF or FTE. The rifle functioned perfectly with all 3 loads and accuracy was decent with the rifle showing perhaps a bit of preference groupwise to the 70gr bullets. The 2 60 gr loads both shot to the same point but a bit higher than the 70gr bullets. More testing will have to be done though and with milsurp ammo. Elevation wise I have the rifle sighted in just fine unfortunately I pushed the front sight a bit too far to the left and I'll fix that when I take it to the range the next time. Sigh I wish all AK's came with windage adjustable rears like my Vepr did. What the life span is of these barrels I don't know but the rifle I received is very nice looking and once I complete the sighting in process will hit what I aim at which is what I was looking for. BTW I do have surplus ammo and that is what I'm planning on shooting out of this rifle but after my previous experience with this caliber and another manufacturer I decided to shoot only commercial ammo while in the testing phase. The rifle I have if it's an accurate representation of the rest seems well built and if the barrel lasts appears at least to me to be a good value for the money.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#30]
My buddy just got in his two IAC 74's from Atlantic this week.  We took them out to the range (video to come) and they look and work beautifully.  Here's a couple of pics of the two new rifles.

First, this is the wood stocked IAC 74:

The wood stocks are great, with a little work they would be simply stunning.

Here's the two new rifles side by side, one (the poly) has a Midwest Industries rail installed with a Primary Arms micro reflex:

Now that I've seen 3 of these rifles first hand and fired them, I can say that the quality appears to be consistent and the rifles are a great deal at $549.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I want one so bad! I'm just waiting on Atlantic to get back with me and then I'll be buying one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you, I'll send you an email ASAP.

Its good to see that you are well, my mother had a similar experience. Although hers burst and she was one of the lucky few that actually get sepsis; Glad to see that your somewhat recovered.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My buddy just got in his two IAC 74's from Atlantic this week.  We took them out to the range (video to come) and they look and work beautifully.  Here's a couple of pics of the two new rifles.

First, this is the wood stocked IAC 74:

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/1172389889_yGeWs-L.jpg

The wood stocks are great, with a little work they would be simply stunning.

Here's the two new rifles side by side, one (the poly) has a Midwest Industries rail installed with a Primary Arms micro reflex:

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/1172390015_Hjb73-L.jpg

Now that I've seen 3 of these rifles first hand and fired them, I can say that the quality appears to be consistent and the rifles are a great deal at $549.

Blaine I'm glad you're feeling better and hope you have no more problems. Glad to see my rifle isn't one of a kind as far as quality goes . Still wonder about the barrel but that's just my paranoid self coming out after my Lancrapster experience . Don't know when my next shooting chance will be the St. Louis area is under a Winter storm warning with a forcast of 1/2-3/4 inch of ice possibly more along with 12 inches or more of snow also. This one I think is gonna hurt because of the ice.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top