Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/23/2010 6:27:26 PM EDT
Hello All,

Well, I seem to have a small problem.  The retention spring in my AK-74 FCG has come loose.    Specifically the one that hold the pin that runs right through the trigger.  I've tried to get it back in using needlenose pliers and all manner of small utensils and it will not fit around that pin.  Unless you all have some experience, I will have to send it back to the manufacturer and I really just want to get out and shoot.  

Please help
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw the wire retainer away and get a retainer plate.

There's no reason to fight with the wire retainers, or even bother learning the easy and "proper" way to use them as some people like to say on here. The plate is too easy to mess up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds great.  Where do you find retainer plates, and what do they look like?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
In a pinch,If you have a good local hardware store you should be able match a few circlips to the pins for mere pennies. Then go shooting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Now that's a good idea.  I also found a retainer plate made by Tapco.  My only concern for the plate is will it fit in an AK receiver that has a side scope mount pinned to it?  Will that rivet interfere with installation of the plate?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used RSA and Tapco retainers in most of my rifles that have factory riveted side rail scope mounts.

I recently bought some of the retainers from a company and they run about $5.00-$7.00 now instead of the $11.00 they used to cost.  Problem is going to be the shipping cost unless you are planning on ordering more than just the retainer plate.

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_34&products_id=366

These springs go in pretty easily

Tapco retainer
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Whew!  I hope my Bulgarian takes it easily too.  I just bought one of Tapco's newer model of retainer from Arms of America.  Tell me about that shipping!  Ugh.  But I just can't stand having such a thing of beauty and it not able to function.  So I ended up paying three times the amount the retainer cost in shipping alone.  Oh well, it will be worth it if it works.  Thank you all for the advice.  I will post pics in the Bulgarian forum once I have it up and running.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In a pinch,If you have a good local hardware store you should be able match a few circlips to the pins for mere pennies. Then go shooting.

We had a selection of these at work, & I use them. They work great, & enough for a gun cost less than $1.00 & are available at Lowes & Home Depot TODAY.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wire retainers are better. They prevent trigger and hammer pins from rotating in the receiver.
Trigger or hammer rotates on the pin, while pin is stationary.
For this reason manufacturers use wire retainers, not plates.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wire retainers are better. They prevent trigger and hammer pins from rotating in the receiver.

What?  They function in the same way.  They use wires because they're cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm, lions and tigers and bears...  Oh my frickin' God!   Okay, here's the plan.  I just spent about $23 at Arms of America for a retention plate and shipping.  Tomorrow I'm hitting the hardware store for some circlips.  I have some blue threadlock that I can use on the head to keep the pin from rotating.
And lastly, I'll pick up a retention spring at the next gunshow.  (Of course I will have to have a gunsmith install that one. )
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And because they have three pins, while we only have two.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And because they have three pins, while we only have two.

If I've learned nothing so far in this life, I will have learned this:  Money is usually the main motivational force in most decisions, even over ideology.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Pick up a hemostat from the tools guy at the next gun show. Makes installing the wire a 20 second job. Or buy one online and save the money you would have spent on the plate. They're great tools to have.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top