Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 7:25:35 AM EDT
Just another "new rifle" thread... but this time it's mine! Just picked up my new SGL21-73 (OD Green, NATO length stock).

I know many of you already have this rifle, so no new news, but this is hands down the cleanest gun I’ve ever purchased. I disassembled the entire thing and inspected it, the only lube anywhere on the gun is small amounts inside the receiver.

The finish is great, which was something I was looking for (I know, I know, I need to drag it behind my truck through a gravel yard according to some of you before it’s worthy of being called an AK, hah).

I’ll try to post some pics later tonight, but nothing out of the ordinary that can’t be seen on K-Var or Arsenal’s site.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I’ll try to post some pics later tonight

We will hold you to that.

Enjoy the new rifle!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The gas tube latch on mine is WAY TIGHT!!  Almost too tight and way more than hand tight.  Yours?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The gas tube latch on mine is WAY TIGHT!!  Almost too tight and way more than hand tight.  Yours?

That's an easy fix....Called a rubber mallet....

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what I had to do to mine lol.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm assuming you guys are joking... right?

For those that may not know, the gas tube lever is purposely tight and most likely won't release by hand.  None of mine ever have.  The nifty little buttstock cleaning kit is actually a cleverly designed multi-tool, and one of its functions is to facilitate releasing the gas tube.  If you look on the kit's tube you'll see an elongated hole.  Place the "nib" on the end of the gas tube lever in this elongated hole and the kit tube will give you the leverage needed to move the lever up and release the gas tube.  People have damaged their rifles by trying other methods of forcing the lever, so just use the tool as designed.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't get another SGL-21 today....
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, extremely. I was able to use hand force to release it though, using a cloth towel as a buffer. The even more difficult one was the release lever on the barrel that releases the lower handguard, I still have to use pliers on that one to get it to move, even with the hand guard removed... I thought that might be binding it, but it's just a very tight tolerence.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For those that may not know, the gas tube lever is purposely tight and most likely won't release by hand.  None of mine ever have.  The nifty little buttstock cleaning kit is actually a cleverly designed multi-tool, and one of its functions is to facilitate releasing the gas tube.  If you look on the kit's tube you'll see an elongated hole.  Place the "nib" on the end of the gas tube lever in this elongated hole and the kit tube will give you the leverage needed to move the lever up and release the gas tube.  People have damaged their rifles by trying other methods of forcing the lever, so just use the tool as designed.

No, are you? Indeed, the lever is suppose to be snug, but not exceedingly TIGHT. Some are tight because they were not installed correctly. I have personally seen four broken tab levers from the use of the tube cleaning kit. If it is too tight, it's a simple solve. The levers on some SGL's that I have taken apart had horribly tight levers that it tool a nylon drift and a hammer to disengage. For those who have this issue, remove your gas tube, position the lever up, and give it a slight smack from the LH side (Non-charging handle side of course) to the side with a rubber mallet, and retry. Apply some oil, and move it up and down during this process.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but I wish I were.  Mine is bone ass tight and far away tighter than my Chicom or G kit build.  I know how to use the kit, just never had to before.  In other words........IT IS TIGHT.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice pix.  Other than the plastic color mine has the AK100 solid non grooved gas piston and mine is punch pressed to the bolt carrier.

Did I tell you that my gas tube latch is WAY TOO FRIGGIN TIGHT?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice pix.  Other than the plastic color mine has the AK100 solid non grooved gas piston and mine is punch pressed to the bolt carrier.

Did I tell you that my gas tube latch is WAY TOO FRIGGIN TIGHT?  

CORRECT IT!!!! I told you how!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I will. A little oil and use will fix many issues.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice lookin rifle man.  Arsenal rifles rock don't they?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#15]
These SGL-21s are the Arsenal response to the fit and finish crowd. Both of mine are gorgeous. I like the OD furniture. You done good
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top