BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:21 PM EDT
If you had the choice of one AK for survivor (SBR or not),  for SHTF what would it be?
5.56, 7.62 or 5.45 why?
All the above will take deer right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
5.45x39
At 10 to 12 cents a round, it's alot more economical to stock up on than 5.56 or 7.62

I might just might kill a deer with my 5.45 AK this fall.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I also wonder what would be best also.  I would think any would do a good job but a 7.62x39 is a true man eater.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
54r
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
7.62x39
Because I like the way it shoots
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
5.45 because the ruskies said so.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you had the choice of one AK for survivor (SBR or not),  for SHTF what would it be?
5.56, 7.62 or 5.45 why?

1. The 7.62x39 for true reliability, proven platform and caliber, deer hunting potential, fair accuracy, odds of finding 7.62x39 after shtf fairly well due to all the AK builds and SKS'es in the country.
2. The 5.56 better accuracy than 7.62x39, possible reliability hit due to 5.56 AK's weren't designed for it. Specific mags to each manufactures rifle. Better have the ones you need stocked up.  Critical shot placement for hunting, odds of finding 5.56 after shtf great due to it being a national caliber, police, military.
3. The 5.45 accuracy on line with 5.56, equal reliabillty to 7.62x39,  shot placement critical for hunting, odds of finding 5.45 after shtf not too great due to one platform using it, little american production. Most all of it that most people have is corrosive.

My choice 7.62x39.  Even though heavier than both choices, you know what your getting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
5.56, 7.62 or 5.45 why?

By your definition i would choose 5.56 as i'm sure I can find find more 5.56/223 after the shtf. But then again the only AK I own is it's it proper caliber so i would more than likely end up carrying my KAC SR15 if the SHTF
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
5.45 for now.

I will have plenty of time and plenty of warning to find a new gun should I come close to exhausting my stash. Plus I like it better than 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
These SHTF threads are pointless.

ANY rifle will serve to get more rifles/ammo. It doesn't matter. It is your skills and willingness to use them that matters. You can stockpile all you want, but if someone puts a fucking bullet between your eyebrows, those 18 tins of 5.45 aren't going to do you any good.

A smart guy with a stick/knife/wire/knife and some balls can get himself a pistol/rifle/tank/whatever with a decent plan.

Now if you are ruthless AND stockpile some serious shit, then I will come serve under your warlordship. Otherwise, I'm taking what I can get from where I can get it, if I need it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ANY rifle will serve to get more rifles/ammo. It doesn't matter. It is your skills and willingness to use them that matters. You can stockpile all you want, but if someone puts a fucking bullet between your eyebrows, those 18 tins of 5.45 aren't going to do you any good.

A smart guy with a stick/knife/wire/knife and some balls can get himself a pistol/rifle/tank/whatever with a decent plan.

Now if you are ruthless AND stockpile some serious shit, then I will come serve under your warlordship. Otherwise, I'm taking what I can get from where I can get it, if I need it.

You said knife twice... let me guess: "I like knives".
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Owning an Arsenal SA M5, I'd say 5.56. But I hear the 106 (?) in 5.56 is slightly better and is a stamped gun.

If you have good discipline maintaining the platform I'd say AR.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I vote for a rifle in 5.56, but I probably wouldn't do an AK. If you are dead set on an AK I would say 7.62x39 even though I hate 7.62 AK's....

FWIW I have killed a deer with a 14.5'' AR and 16'' MAK90. The AR used power point 64gr bullets and the AK wolf HP or something stupid. Shot placement was similar and the 5.56 dropped the deer in its tracks and it survived awhile still. The damn 7.62 put a 30 cal hole through it and it lived for a long long time. So either way you are going to need a good HUNTING round and not your FMJ stuff. However, I will venture to say .223/5.56 FMJ may be more deadly to a white tail deer since it fragments and the 7.62 will just punch right through.

My personal SHTF gun would be my 14.5'' BCM. Even with a Aimpoint ml3 it is 1/2lb lighter than my AK74, more accurate, and so far equally as reliable. Plus I don't like the idea of corrosive ammo if SHTF...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#14]
If i had to choose an AK, it would be my Krink.   I have killed deer w/ 5.45 surplus and the last ran about 35 yards.  If you want to info on 5.45 killing deer, search for this guy   -x-             Thats a badass MF'er right thera, you will know this when you see his killer poodle

I'm trying to stock pile 75gr ammo for my AR, which will easily kill deer out to 250 yards and i have seen great 300 yard shots posted as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#15]
In a true SHTF scenario  there will be no cheap ammo -.

5,56 is easily attainable in the US/Canada.

Anything 5,45 can do, 5,56 can do.
5,56 has had about a 40+ year head start on development and use in this country..and there are literally dozens of different bullet
types and loads available in .223 and 5,56..

All three calibers 5.56, 5.45 and 7.62 are intermediate calibers meaning that they are all very effective at intermediate distances
(200 - 300 yards or less)
7,62 and 5,45 have very similar wound ballistic profiles ....

All my weapons (AR's/AK's) are 5,56

Make the best choice but make sure that does not short stroke your best options

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If this a true SHTF ~ Katrinia type Situation

All my weapons AR's/AK's are 5,56

5,45 is a good round but does not offer anything really beyond cost savings over 5,56, per round
In a true SHTF scenario  there will be no cheap ammo -.
So in a disaster scenario availibity overshadows cost

5,45 is not a domestically produced round - (other than the steel cased Hornady rounds @ .80 a round)

5,56 is easily attainable in the US/Canada.
In a SHTF issue any law enforcement whether it's local, state or federal as well as
National Guard first responders are bringing rifles - are bringing 5,56. (supply)

Aside from that - anything 5,45 can do 5,56 can do.
5,56 has had about a 40+ year head start on development and use in this country..and there are literally dozens of different bullet
types and loads available in .223 and 5,56..

All three calibers 5.56, 5.45 and 7.62 are intermediate calibers meaning that they are all very effective at intermediate distances
(200 - 300 yards or less)

Make the best choice but make sure that decision does not short stroke your best options

The most effective tool to any SHTF scenario is preparedness and training
If you have no formal training with whatever weapon you choose - your not going to be effective - PERIOD
If you do not have a plan to survive - your going to die - PERIOD

During Katrina LE was CONFISCATING firearms from civilians, not sharing their supply so I hope you aren't relying on that.

I wouldn't count on getting/finding anything other than what you have at hand, so stockpile what you can for whichever weapon platforms you choose. Also I would avoid contact with anyone(other civilians, LE, Mil) at all cost during a SHTF scenario as at best you will have your weapons confiscated.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#17]
...sorry I edited/chopped my previous post. Thought it was too long

Quoted:
During Katrina LE was CONFISCATING firearms from civilians, not sharing their supply so I hope you aren't relying on that.

I wouldn't count on getting/finding anything other than what you have at hand, so stockpile what you can for whichever weapon platforms you choose. Also I would avoid contact with anyone(other civilians, LE, Mil) at all cost during a SHTF scenario as at best you will have your weapons confiscated.

Yes, you are right LE did confiscate weapons from law abiding citizens. This was undeclared Martial Law.

(Texas passed a law for that specific reason, forbidding LE to confiscate weapons
during or after a state of emergency like Katrina)

As far as LE not sharing ammo - who says I wanted to ask them to share...?
If it's a survival situation - I don't ask - I would steal, take or scrounge it,... take it from a body
This is afterall a SHTF situation - right?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#18]
you will know this when you see his killer poodle.

One of the most fearsome beasts on earth, that poodle.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Another thing. Don't go out and buy an AR if you choose, just because of supposed platform weight savings.  My Colt 6940 with the monolithic rail weighs only 9 ounces less than my Arsenal 106fr in .223. Both with empty 30 round mags.  Difference a gun made of steel and another made of aluminum and aluminum mags. That rail adds weight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If it's a survival situation - I don't ask - I would steal, take or scrounge it,... take it from a body

I wouldn't count on being in possession of the "battlefield" when the "battle" is over. 99+% of the time the organized force remains after the irregular forces are long gone, as in dead or run off.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't count on being in possession of the "battlefield" when the "battle" is over. 99+% of the time the organized force remains after the irregular forces are long gone, as in dead or run off.

Nope - Like I mentioned if you had a house to return to - then yeah stay...but more than likely in a SHTF scenario your going to have to be on the move..you have nothing left but what your carrying

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another thing. Don't go out and buy an AR if you choose, just because of supposed platform weight savings.  My Colt 6940 with the monolithic rail weighs only 9 ounces less than my Arsenal 106fr in .223. Both with empty 30 round mags.  Difference a gun made of steel and another made of aluminum and aluminum mags. That rail adds weight.

...love my 106's

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#23]
7.62 anyday of the week, in my Arsenal 107F to be exact. If I neeed to feed and defend myself/the ones I love I want a caliber that will do that RIGHT now not after whatever has run off. The micro calibers are ok if that's what you're into but if you plan on making it long term a heavier caliber will seve you better, just my 2cents.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#24]
107ur sbr or Draco sbr.  The last issue of the Complete Book of the AK47 had a couple of articles by Gabe Suarez  that I completly agree with.  If you didn't read it, get a copy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Look at it like this. 20 rounds of 7.62x39 weigh 11.8 oz. 20 rounds of 5.56 weigh 8.3 oz. All in box of the same manufacturer Brown Bear.  280 rounds of 7.62x39 in a BOB are fairly heavy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You said knife twice... let me guess: "I like knives beer".

fixed

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#27]
The Weapon you can aford to train with and that "YOU" use best.
Hits will be what counts and if you can not train chances are you wont hit when the pucker factor is 10.
So basicly find a way to try all 3, pick the one you shoot the best and train, train , train.

Good Luck

Just my 2 cents
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Choices:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
5.56, 7.62 or 5.45 why?

5.45.  Its half the price of the others.  Easier to hit moving and distant targets than 7.62, and 5.56 aks dont have the best track record.  

Price is important cause you can stalkpile quickly.  You wont be running an gunning doing missions... You'll be hunkered down holding your own.  Mainly hunting.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok,..
A rifle that I can keep it concealed, take deer at about 200m and use ammo that is cheap for alot of training.

I don't expect to get ammo anywhere in a "SHTF", If I do, the rifle that was using it should be laying next to it.
Also keep it concealed so the LE/Mil won't confiscate (spelling?).

So..5.45 is cheap and will preform as good as 5.56

Then the AK-105 should fit the criteria
right?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:57:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I think a paradigm shift is in order concerning deer hunting after SHTF/TEOTWAWKI. With 308 million people in the USA, do any of you really think there will be any deer left to worry about? I see so many posts where people fantasize about hunting for survival subsistance. How many deer you you think will be left after groups/gangs start organized drives with 20-30 people, driving an area and shooting everything that pops out of the woods? It wont be but a matter of weeks before deer or any other game for that matter will be as scarce as hen's teeth.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I think a paradigm shift is in order concerning deer hunting after SHTF/TEOTWAWKI. With 308 million people in the USA, do any of you really think there will be any deer left to worry about? I see so many posts where people fantasize about hunting for survival subsistance. How many deer you you think will be left after groups/gangs start organized drives with 20-30 people, driving an area and shooting everything that pops out of the woods? It wont be but a matter of weeks before deer or any other game for that matter will be as scarce as hen's teeth.

while we do have a population exceeding 300 million, nationwide 80% of our populaton lives in urban areas. 60% of that would be considered large cities over 200,000 in population. the cities would collapse and the govt. leeches would die off at an alarming rate with no infrastructure to provide food and water or haul off their trash and provide sewer waste treatment. an extremely large percentage of our population has no idea how to hunt, fish, or scavenge anything much less deer. the deer population nationwide is 30 million.

in my state 70% of our population lives on less than 3% of the land. most of these people would be gone in a matter of months waiting for governament to take care of them. couple the sudden decrease in population with the fact that a population of livestock already in the rural areas with now no place to go thanks to an infrastructure collapse and i think the deer population is safe. we would go back to a much more localized trade system.

i have several weapons in all three mentioned calibers.  i appreciate the stoner platform much more than i did even a couple of years ago, i have a 20" build i've got $1300 into (not including optics), i could shoot someone in the eye at 200yds,  the rifle has the ability to lay some seriously accurate fire downrange.  however, if i had to walk out my door not knowing what lay ahead, i would grab my slr-107f and my glock 17.  they are both the epitome of reliability and ruggedness
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#34]
What the heck are you people fantasizing about? The key to surviving Katrina II is getting out of New Orleans and living out of a Hilton until you can hook up with Aunt Sue. There's nothing in my house worth bunkering in and defending against the possibility of looters. I plan on living a long time. I can buy replacement stuff. I can't buy a new life trying to defend my big screen TV. I have insurance for that.

Since I live in Seattle, the off chance of an earthquake or a volcanic event are the likely SHTF scenarios. Between the two, the earthquake bothers me more. I can get in my car and either head north or east of the mountains (depending on time of year and conditions of the passes) and run away from the aftereffects of the volcano. That brings me back to insurance and replacing what I left behind. The earthquake might trap me in, but I'd only expect to stick around long enough for some means of egress to be available. So a couple weeks of water and food with a good rifle and ammo I'll probably never fire in anger is plenty.

If zombies walk the earth? I'm probably going to be one of the teeming mindless masses. There's only so much destruction a city boy can survive. But I'm somehow not worried about the end of the world as we know it. ;)
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What the heck are you people fantasizing about? The key to surviving Katrina II is getting out of New Orleans and living out of a Hilton until you can hook up with Aunt Sue. There's nothing in my house worth bunkering in and defending against the possibility of looters. I plan on living a long time. I can buy replacement stuff. I can't buy a new life trying to defend my big screen TV. I have insurance for that.

Since I live in Seattle, the off chance of an earthquake or a volcanic event are the likely SHTF scenarios. Between the two, the earthquake bothers me more. I can get in my car and either head north or east of the mountains (depending on time of year and conditions of the passes) and run away from the aftereffects of the volcano. That brings me back to insurance and replacing what I left behind. The earthquake might trap me in, but I'd only expect to stick around long enough for some means of egress to be available. So a couple weeks of water and food with a good rifle and ammo I'll probably never fire in anger is plenty.

If zombies walk the earth? I'm probably going to be one of the teeming mindless masses. There's only so much destruction a city boy can survive. But I'm somehow not worried about the end of the world as we know it. ;)

Talk about speaking out ones

Katrina hit the GulfCoast, not just N.O.   Not everyone has an Aunt Sue or money for a hotel.   We have been thru many hurricanes and dont leave.  Why???  Because we know what to expect from a hurricane....  Not like someone from SEATTLE...

Lets see here.....  Hurricane coming!!!!!!  Run North to a Hilton!!!!!!   Hurricane hit and no damage... thank god!!!!   But, the house was robbed!!!!
Now im going to either pay my deductable and lose my insureance basically or im out of money there.
Gas, lots of gas money.
Hotel for a family $$$$$
Extra lost time from Work.

Is this hitting home?  

Btw, this is MY HOME and i will defend it
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#36]

"Hey, has any seen the keys to my truck'? OH Yeah !! It's under the house...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#37]
7.62.... end of story

its the most reliable out of the platform and hardest hitting. its only fault is weight and range.

solutions:

weight: dont be a pussy

range: unless you live out in BFE your not likely to have anyone out past 300 yards shooting at you and if you do live out in BFE you likely dont have alot of people that would need shooting anyway lol
and on the off chance you were in a 300 yard shootout the 7.62 round will still hit out far past that and you could at least put thier head down long enough to get to cover or a better firing possition.

it also makes a very nice deer/hog round for food
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well put.  Unfortunately, there's a lot of individuals that do fantasize about the end of the world/zombie attack/UN blue helmet takeover.  They spent the thousands of dollars on the ridiculous gear, etc. for it so they kind of quietly desire it to happen, it seems.  If it does, they can joyfully live out their Red Dawn/First Blood-type fantasies.

They're entertaining - more so when they get defensive and serious about it.  Just enjoy the entertainment.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#39]
What I need to build and sell in mass quantities are...

...tactical keyboards
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.  Unfortunately, there's a lot of individuals that do fantasize about the end of the world/zombie attack/UN blue helmet takeover.  They spent the thousands of dollars on the ridiculous gear, etc. for it so they kind of quietly desire it to happen, it seems.  If it does, they can joyfully live out their Red Dawn/First Blood-type fantasies.

They're entertaining - more so when they get defensive and serious about it.  Just enjoy the entertainment.  

WOW,

It just blows me away that some people can't understand the need to be prepared for an uncertain future.

Whatever happen to the American spirit of self alliance?

Rather then just sitting around hoping that the government will save your ass, you can provide for oneself or love ones.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

...tactical keyboards

Good idea, but honestly, if the truth was known I'd say that many of the post on this forum, and many other similar ones, were typed on just such a device.  Or at least Krylon camo'd keyboards.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I did was ask what type of AK would be best served as a survivor rifle.

I can do with out all the other smart ass opinion's

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Forget Red Dawn....

This is the greatest shootout scene Hollywood has done to date
LINK

.....especially with a Home Theater system cranked up !!!!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Forget Red Dawn....

This is the greatest shootout scene Hollywood has done to date
LINK

Hell Yeah!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well put. Unfortunately, there's a lot of individuals that do fantasize about the end of the world/zombie attack/UN blue helmet takeover. They spent the thousands of dollars on the ridiculous gear, etc. for it so they kind of quietly desire it to happen, it seems. If it does, they can joyfully live out their Red Dawn/First Blood-type fantasies.

They're entertaining - more so when they get defensive and serious about it. Just enjoy the entertainment.

you are 100% correct. no worries. these are not the droids you're looking for.......

if you think we are shielded from any of this you are crazy. all it takes is for the stock market to go to the basement, china start selling off our treasuries, the imf demand a different world currency, israel attack iran, and then as icing on the cake another succesfull jihadist attack on u.s. soil. will it happen? i hope not. could it? yup. sure could.

don't kid yourself and think you are safe. a total collapse of our infrastructure could happen in a matter of weeks. we live in a house of cards. if it did, it would be complete chaos. l.a. (rodney king), katrina, watts, they would all look like disneyland.

but the good news is that you can come over to my house.......

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh, boy.  This thread unfotunately kind of went the way of most of the threads in the discussion area of The AK Files which are almost completely "The End of the World is Near!" and conspiracy theorist posts.    

Again, free entertainment until it becomes far-fetched.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Oh, boy. This thread unfotunately kind of went the way of most of the threads in the discussion area of The AK Files which are almost completely "The End of the World is Near!" and conspiracy theorist posts.

if you don't like the discussion then why keep coming back....

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I think I'm good, at least for a little while. My front yard: I could club them with a 9 iron!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Oh, boy.  This thread unfotunately kind of went the way of most of the threads in the discussion area of The AK Files which are almost completely "The End of the World is Near!" and conspiracy theorist posts.    

Hey Rainman, if you don't have anything nice to say then shut the hell up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...tactical keyboards

Good idea, but honestly, if the truth was known I'd say that many of the post on this forum, and many other similar ones, were typed on just such a device.  Or at least Krylon camo'd keyboards.

But do they have a vertical hand grip?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top